The Student Room Group

GCSE importance for Oxford?

thg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lilbunni
I know this is over-asked etc and I've read up on it all I can, but I got 2 A*'s 5 A's and 2 B's at GCSE. Is this putting me at practically no chance of getting into Oxford, even with straight A*'s at A Level? I haven't seen any Oxford student's with B's at GCSE's, kinda ruining my dream.

it depends entirely on the course you want to study
Reply 2
Original post by alex144
it depends entirely on the course you want to study

Entirely? I thought it was more generalised. I'm not set on a course, but either English Language and Literature, History and English or English and Modern Languages (my A*'s at GCSE were History and Eng Lang.) My B's were in Maths and Textiles if that's helpful (because they aren't heavily related to what I want to study later.) Thanks for your reply!
I know this is over-asked and I've read up on it all I can, but I got 2 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs at GCSE. Is this putting me at practically no chance of getting into Oxford, even with straight A*s at A Level? I haven't seen any Oxford students with Bs at GCSEs, kinda ruining my dream.

If going to Oxford is your dream, surely you would have worked harder to get better GCSE results?
Reply 4
Original post by Banana00
If going to Oxford is your dream, surely you would have worked harder to get better GCSE results?

Lol true, maybe it's not meant to be. Was thinking about re-taking Maths
Original post by Banana00

is this from any conceivable angle a helpful response?
Original post by tanyapotter
is this from any conceivable angle a helpful response?

I didn't mean to be spiteful at all; maybe she was just interested in Oxford because it is a pretty university with a good course but in fact it was unrealistic and would not have suited her. Who knows?
Lol true, maybe it's not meant to be. Was thinking about re-taking Maths

Well whatever happens, I hope it all turns out okay for you.
Good luck :tongue:
Entirely? I thought it was more generalised. I'm not set on a course, but either English Language and Literature, History and English or English and Modern Languages (my A*'s at GCSE were History and Eng Lang.) My B's were in Maths and Textiles if that's helpful (because they aren't heavily related to what I want to study later.) Thanks for your reply!

I know a guy who got in for English with about that, although that was in 2010.

Those grades may hurt your chances a bit but they certainly don't disqualify you entirely. Get predictions of straight A/A*s, do well on your aptitude tests (and if they want you to hand in any essays, make sure those are cracking; better to check the application procedure sooner than later), and you'll be in with a chance of getting an interview. Do well at that and obviously you'll be in with a chance of getting an offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Killer Bean
I know a guy who got in for English with about that, although that was in 2010.

Those grades may hurt your chances a bit but they certainly don't disqualify you entirely. Get predictions of straight A/A*s, do well on your aptitude tests (and if they want you to hand in any essays, make sure those are cracking; better to check the application procedure sooner than later), and you'll be in with a chance of getting an interview. Do well at that and obviously you'll be in with a chance of getting an offer.

Thank you for the advice! I won't bother applying unless I get AAAA at AS and AAA predictions at least for A2, to be honest. I think I just wanted a bit of reassurance that Oxford wasn't over for me. Thanks again :smile:
If you get AAAA at AS, you most likely will get predictions of at least A*AA at A level. If you get over 90 UMS at AS, you'd probably be predicted an A* anyway.
I know this is over-asked etc and I've read up on it all I can, but I got 2 A*'s 5 A's and 2 B's at GCSE. Is this putting me at practically no chance of getting into Oxford, even with straight A*'s at A Level? I haven't seen any Oxford student's with B's at GCSE's, kinda ruining my dream.

Perhaps this will shed light on your situation?http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

Your grades are amazing, by the way! I think it's possible for you still make an application to Oxford, especially if you get A*s at A Level.
Perhaps consider doing come voluntary work in the community like with the elderly or working with children or disabled people or something to make you application stand out a little. Perhaps even consider doing volunteer work abroad for a couple of weeks over summer between AS and A2 (or A2 and going to university even.) Just don't lie about anything though!
All universities will get a lot of people saying generic stuff like 'I enjoy spending time with my friends in my spare time.' So it's important you have something extra to say when you apply, not just for Oxford, but for all universities.

I'd also suggest going to an open day for Oxford before you apply, and maybe asking them what they think of your grades?

Although, I think Oxford and Cambridge are the type of universities you apply to and expect to NOT get an offer, no matter what grades you get at A Level/GCSE.
So perhaps apply if you want, but don't expect to get an offer. And also make sure your insurance/other universities you apply for are somewhere you'd be equally happy spending three years of your life.

Hope this helped and good luck! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by KittKatt
Perhaps this will shed light on your situation?http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements

Your grades are amazing, by the way! I think it's possible for you still make an application to Oxford, especially if you get A*s at A Level.
Perhaps consider doing come voluntary work in the community like with the elderly or working with children or disabled people or something to make you application stand out a little. Perhaps even consider doing volunteer work abroad for a couple of weeks over summer between AS and A2 (or A2 and going to university even.) Just don't lie about anything though!
All universities will get a lot of people saying generic stuff like 'I enjoy spending time with my friends in my spare time.' So it's important you have something extra to say when you apply, not just for Oxford, but for all universities.

I'd also suggest going to an open day for Oxford before you apply, and maybe asking them what they think of your grades?

Although, I think Oxford and Cambridge are the type of universities you apply to and expect to NOT get an offer, no matter what grades you get at A Level/GCSE.
So perhaps apply if you want, but don't expect to get an offer. And also make sure your insurance/other universities you apply for are somewhere you'd be equally happy spending three years of your life.

Hope this helped and good luck! :smile:

Thanks! I've been looking into doing some au pair work in France for next summer. I agree, I think it's best to be pessimistic when applying to Oxbridge, I'm not going to be heart broken if I don't get the grades. Really helpful, thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending