The Student Room Group

is lse economics and oxford ppe out of the question due to my gcse grades

i have achieved the following gcses grades
98888887777 but following remarks i hope to achieve 99999888887
could anyone let me know how oxford or lse and other top unis for economics will react to this. I have heard lse is really picky about gcses so please be brutal and honest. Thank you in advance

also my a-levels would either be maths, fm, history, chemistry or if i am not allowed on the further maths course due to my 8 maths, geography, history and chemistry
Reply 1
Original post by your_fangirl
i have achieved the following gcses grades
98888887777 but following remarks i hope to achieve 99999888887
could anyone let me know how oxford or lse and other top unis for economics will react to this. I have heard lse is really picky about gcses so please be brutal and honest. Thank you in advance

also my a-levels would either be maths, fm, history, chemistry or if i am not allowed on the further maths course due to my 8 maths, geography, history and chemistry

I think lots of econ courses like oxford and LSE require you to take further maths (although theres lots that dont like warwick) so if you're set on oxford or LSE then hopefully they'll let you or your remark will go well!
My friend got into LSE econ this year and she got similar grades to you - most unis don't put much emphasis on gcses (unless they dont use y12 predicted grades which is quite rare) so i wouldn't worry too much. LSE says it requires mostly As and A*s which you have! Oxford doesn't have a set requirement for gcses in a lot courses but i assume they would look at them.
Whats a LOT more important than gcses is the entrance exams - im not applying for econ so idrk what exams are needed but whatever they are you should prepare for them really well, and make sure you try hard in y12 so you get good predicted grades!!
One thing though - further maths is quite difficult for a lot of people - i got a 9 at gcse and did FSMQ (further further gcse maths i guess) in year 11 and i still struggled with further so definitely put a lot of work into that!
Anyway i dont know if that answer your question but hope it helped!!
Oxford generally state that they don’t consider gcse grades. While they day that, not sure how true it is.

Their basic position is that they work on facts. So personal statement could be made up, teachers predicted grades can be massaged as they like you. So they place great store by the entrance exams and, if you get one, the interview.

I say gcse grades are facts so find it odd that they say they don’t consider them.

That said, you may have an almost perfect set following remarks and so, if they do consider them at all, yours will be a great set of results to have and, not only shouldn’t they hold you o back, they should support your application (ie they are a good thing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending