The Student Room Group

Is Britain's sea border its biggest asset during this refugee crisis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HItchslapped
Even if we take the 100,000 death count. I think that doesn't change my argument.

What was you original point exactly? That we have a moral obligation to help people since we bombed their country? How about....don't fly airliners into densely populated buildings and we won't get pissed at your government. i'm not 100% but I think Gadaffi was implicated.

Are we talking specifically iraq? Most refugees are from Syria and Eritrea.

We have a moral obligation to people because they are fellow humans, beyond that we don't 'owe' them anything. Our ancestors worked hard to build our country, resist corruption, greed and promote all sorts of positive things.

You make out that we went over and capet bombed residential areas and infrastructure or somthing.

The baseline is, if you accept refugees, more will come, more will attempt to cross the med and more will drown or die being trafficed. It's also not a sustainable solution in the long term.

PS: I appreciate someone actually having stats to back their argument for once and the sensability to accept their are other views to their own, but so far you've picked stats that support your argument and ignored the rest. The big picture is always better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pegasus2
What was you original point exactly? That we have a moral obligation to help people since we bombed their country?

Are we talking specifically iraq? Most refugees are from Syria and Eritrea.

We have a moral obligation to people because they are fellow humans, beyond that we don't 'owe' them anything. Our ancestors worked hard to build our country, resist corruption, greed and promote all sorts of positive things.

You make out that we went over and capet bombed residential areas and infrastructure or somthing.

The baseline is, if you accept refugees, more will come, more will attempt to cross the med and more will drown or die being trafficed. It's also not a sustainable solution in the long term.

Not just Iraq. But also Afghanistan which we bombed and killed thousands of civilians and they are the third largest source of refugees fleeing. I also mentioned Libya which we helped to create the circumstances in which the country became devastated without rule of law and also created the largest uncontrolled border crossing from North Africa to Europe. The same crossing in which these refugees are drowning.

We have a moral obligation to take in refugees that we helped to create. If you don't think we do then that is your moral standards. I cant help that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lady Comstock
How many do we take until our public services are under too much strain? And how do we take some but not others if there is a limit?

They're already under strain. Hospitals are closing left right and center
Reply 103
We ought to take in some migrants - we created the Syrian mess, we have blood on our hands. But only to a point. I have no idea if the 10,000 number Cameron's come out with is good or not, I'll be honest - but I do know that if it started to become an issue that was having an impact on British lives, I'd leave them in Calais. It's not like they're being bombed to death in northern France is it?
Not just Iraq. But also Afghanistan which we bombed and killed thousands of civilians and they are the third largest source of refugees fleeing. I also mentioned Libya which we helped to create the circumstances in which the country became devastated without rule of law and also created the largest uncontrolled border crossing from North Africa to Europe. The same crossing in which these refugees are drowning.

I suppose you'll say we put the sea there for them to drown in next.....

Libya's civil war started after Tunisia and Egypt, we had jack all to do with them. We crated a NFZ over Libya, been through this. Syria followed on with the formation of the FSA, again another civil war.

Gadaffi was bombing his own citizens, because they'd had enough of him being in power for 42 years and having their relatives taken in the night, not to be seen again.

Go and read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Civil_War_%282011%29

Literally, I don't get where you think the EU is responsible for every problem in every country you list. Their own populations decided to overthrow their governments. We only interviened in Libya to prevent Gadaffi from bombing his own people, which he had started to do. His military units were even sniping non-combatents in the street. (We've seen this before in during the Siege of Sarajevo in 1992 and later in Ukraine with the Berkut in 2014)

Gadaffi's own generals and even fighter pilots ordered to bomb civil (or rebel) targets defected and flew thier jets to Malta. Their own UN delegation ASKED the UN for a NFZ and help.

Will you stop saying we bombed civilians.....we certainly did not. We bombed the Taliban and the US droped inordinate amounts of ordinance in remote mountain area in order to try and get rid of AQ. Bombs arn't dropped blind or dumb! Nor are they dropped on ligitimate targets if civilians are nearby. Gadaffi moved his tanks into civilian residential areas to take advantage of this fact.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 105

We have a moral obligation to take in refugees that we helped to create. If you don't think we do then that is your moral standards. I cant help that.

Any British person's moral standards ought to direct them toward putting their country first. Of course we shouldn't have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. Of course we shouldn't have removed Qadaffi and allowed Libya to crumble to dust. Of course we shouldn't be destabilising the al-Assad regime in Syria.

But those things have already happened, and so the question now ought to be - can we take these refugees without harming ourselves? If we can, we should - if we can't, we need to shut up the gate and keep them out by any means necessary.
Its not a crisis, its an opportunity to out breed Tracey and Darren and cleanse their kind from the gene pool.
Is it me or does some people here thinks that every refugee would go on benefits as soon as they arrive in the UK?

I don't think they will. I think most of the refugees will get into work as soon as they would be allowed but certainly some people think they will go on benefits.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Great, now try and pass legislation which stops the NHS caring for fat people and see what happens Einstein

JSA is F ALL of the bill, its housing, child support, NHS, Schooling which is constantly being overlooked by the sheltered and ignorant

There you go:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/04/uk-immigration-_n_4212431.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c49043a8-6447-11e4-b219-00144feabdc0.html
Original post by jape
Any British person's moral standards ought to direct them toward putting their country first. Of course we shouldn't have invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. Of course we shouldn't have removed Qadaffi and allowed Libya to crumble to dust. Of course we shouldn't be destabilising the al-Assad regime in Syria.

But those things have already happened, and so the question now ought to be - can we take these refugees without harming ourselves? If we can, we should - if we can't, we need to shut up the gate and keep them out by any means necessary.

In other words we should not live up to our responsibility. That fine if that's your moral standards.
(edited 8 years ago)
I suppose you'll say we put the sea there for them to drown in next.....

Libya's civil war started after Tunisia and Egypt, we had jack all to do with them. We crated a NFZ over Libya, been through this. Syria followed on with the formation of the FSA, again another civil war.

Gadaffi was bombing his own citizens, because they'd had enough of him being in power for 42 years and having their relatives taken in the night, not to be seen again.

Go and read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Civil_War_%282011%29

Literally, I don't get where you think the EU is responsible for every problem in every country you list. Their own populations decided to overthrow their governments. We only interviened in Libya to prevent Gadaffi from bombing his own people, which he had started to do. His military units were even sniping non-combatents in the street. (We've seen this before in during the Siege of Sarajevo in 1992 and later in Ukraine with the Berkut in 2014)

Gadaffi's own generals and even fighter pilots ordered to bomb civil (or rebel) targets defected and flew thier jets to Malta. Their own UN delegation ASKED the UN for a NFZ and help.

Will you stop saying we bombed civilians.....we certainly did not. We bombed the Taliban and the US droped inordinate amounts of ordinance in remote mountain area in order to try and get rid of AQ. Bombs arn't dropped blind or dumb! Nor are they dropped on ligitimate targets if civilians are nearby. Gadaffi moved his tanks into civilian residential areas to take advantage of this fact.

Yeah our country and others intervened by bombing the country to rubble and instigating no rule of law. There's no doubt the country is in worse straits then it every has been before, not to mention uncontrolled border crossings which has allowed this crisis to happen. Yeah, we played a major role in this.
I am sorry but if you are going to invade another country by bombing it to rubble to make things worse, then you don't have any moral or legal obligation to do so.
It gives you zero justification to bomb a civilian area just because tanks were purposely moved there.

You are turning this into a 20,000 unskilled illiterate Syrians are the same as highly skilled immigrants from EU countries. We are not discussing the + - of immigrants, we are discussing the impact of 20,000 unskilled largely uneducated immigrants

'Highly-educated immigrants'Those from the European Economic Area (EEA - the EU plus Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) had made a particularly positive contribution in the decade up to 2011, contributing 34% more in taxes than they received in benefits.
Yeah our country and others intervened by bombing the country to rubble and instigating no rule of law. There's no doubt the country is in worse straits then it every has been before, not to mention uncontrolled border crossings which has allowed this crisis to happen. Yeah, we played a major role in this.
I am sorry but if you are going to invade another country by bombing it to rubble to make things worse, then you don't have any moral or legal obligation to do so.
It gives you zero justification to bomb a civilian area just because tanks were purposely moved there.

You're not reading what i've written.

Instead you're foaming at the mouth repeating the same line you seem to have taken, despite conjecture with various historical / military infomation.
You're not reading what i've written.

Instead you're foaming at the mouth repeating the same line you seem to have taken, despite conjecture with various historical / military infomation.

That's fine. I don't mind people who use rhetoric such as 'foaming at the mouth' to reinforce their arguments.

As I explained it's a moral argument. There is no right or wrong on that basis. If you think it's right to bomb Iraq, right to bomb Libya and right to bomb Afghanistan to make matters far worse and devastating for the people of those countries then that's your moral standards. I personally think we should pay attention to our crimes and stop committing them.
I think we should make a "happy gees" island for them to call their own.

They can continue to expand it by using plastic from the sea

win win
That's fine. I don't mind people who use rhetoric such as 'foaming at the mouth' to reinforce their arguments.

As I explained it's a moral argument. There is no right or wrong on that basis. If you think it's right to bomb Iraq, right to bomb Libya and right to bomb Afghanistan to make matters far worse and devastating for the people of those countries then that's your moral standards. I personally think we should pay attention to our crimes and stop committing them.

Yeah, I get the impression you don't have a clue whats going on or any idea how modern warfare is conducted. No, with you its just "OMG, nasty west, bombing bad...how terrible!"

It's a moral argument huh? ok here's one, do you let Assad drop barrel bombs indescriminately in cities or do you form a no fly zone over it and bomb his artillery units?

Here's a video of Syria's airforce in action for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZdvz_n4ro
West intervenes in Libya:

It's our fault there are problems there!

West doesn't interfere in Syria:

It's our fault there's chaos there!

Such a pitifully simplistic view of foreign policy
Original post by Llamageddon
West intervenes in Libya:

It's our fault there are problems there!

West doesn't interfere in Syria:

It's our fault there's chaos there!

Such a pitifully simplistic view of foreign policy

Precisely. You're damned if you, damned if you don't with these childish people.
Yeah, I get the impression you don't have a clue whats going on or any idea how modern warfare is conducted. No, with you its just "OMG, nasty west, bombing bad...how terrible!"

It's a moral argument huh? ok here's one, do you let Assad drop barrel bombs indescriminately in cities or do you form a no fly zone over it and bomb his artillery units?

Here's a video of Syria's airforce in action for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZdvz_n4ro

I think if you are going to bomb another country and kill thousands of civilians as we have done so in Iraq and Afghanistan, as a consequence making matters far worse, then you have no right to do so. The same goes for Syria. We want to bomb the country just like we did with Iraq and so on to instigate no rule of law allowing extremist groups such as ISIS to grow just like it did in Iraq as we created the circumstances in which isis came about. And who suffers from our intervention???? The people of those countries.

You argue that I know nothing about modern warfare. Well lets take a look at the facts. Is Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya a better place then if was after our intervention?
I think if you are going to bomb another country and kill thousands of civilians as we have done so in Iraq and Afghanistan, as a consequence making matters far worse, then you have no right to do so. The same goes for Syria. We want to bomb the country just like we did with Iraq and so on to instigate no rule of law allowing extremist groups such as ISIS to grow just like it did in Iraq as we created the circumstances in which isis came about. And who suffers from our intervention???? The people of those countries.

You argue that I know nothing about modern warfare. Well lets take a look at the facts. Is Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya a better place then if was after our intervention?

Eugh, do you know anything other than how to repeat some trashy liberal line?

The people in those countries are already suffering because their own government is fighting the revolting population (the FSA in Syria), various other factions in Libya etc, it's called a civil war!

ISIL came about as a result of the Arab Spring destabilising and fragmenting governments. Lawlessness in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria were the results of the Arab spring. This was immediately preceded by a lot of protesting in many Arab countries, which were for the majority, violently supressed (read: protesters shot at by government forces).

Intervention in Libya and Syria (US only) only occcured after this. The UN, most of the world and even Russia and China backed intervention in Libya against Gaddaffi!

I've seen a report stating most Iraqis are happier Saddam is gone, it wasen't exactly peachy under his rule, people feared him.

Go do some research, READ about whats actually happened rather than pedaling your single line that you've thought about for all of 2 minutes.

In before your next "bombing civilians" reply.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending