The Student Room Group

Why is there so little interest in QTLS?

QTLS: qualified teacher status for lifelong learning became a viable way to teach in schools since last year yet no one seems interested.

If you don't have a degree but have level 3 quals then you can be a QTLS by taking the following (with some experience 100-200 hours)

L3 Award in education training £300
L4 CET £1400
L5 DET £2000
+ QTLS membership £500

That's £4200 total (it can be done cheaper through distance learning) compared to 9k for PGCE or doing an QTS degree which could be 27k
Plus you can earn & train on the job during this time but it would have to be as a TA or in further education until qualified.
Interesting question :smile:

Pgce secondary is more versatile because it can still lead to teaching in further education but doesn't rule out secondary teaching opportunities then.

I was looking into doing the pgce in further education but the modular nature of aet/cet/det appeals to me and it is easier to find courses that are part time. I feel pgce probably gives an edge but if det will result in the same outcome then i can see the appeal in det if you're cool about wanting to teach in college only :smile:

Original post by skeptical_john
QTLS: qualified teacher status for lifelong learning became a viable way to teach in schools since last year yet no one seems interested.

If you don't have a degree but have level 3 quals then you can be a QTLS by taking the following (with some experience 100-200 hours)

L3 Award in education training £300
L4 CET £1400
L5 DET £2000
+ QTLS membership £500

That's £4200 total (it can be done cheaper through distance learning) compared to 9k for PGCE or doing an QTS degree which could be 27k
Plus you can earn & train on the job during this time but it would have to be as a TA or in further education until qualified.
you can legally teach in secondary school with QTLS though. Only primary requires QTS. But yes from what I've ready employers really want QTS over QTLS as it's seen as more academically pure.
Original post by skeptical_john
you can legally teach in secondary school with QTLS though. Only primary requires QTS. But yes from what I've ready employers really want QTS over QTLS as it's seen as more academically pure.

I agree with your points. I think a secondary pgce is a big cheese in terms of it's versatility.

I was initially going to do a post 16 pgce but the aet/cet/det feel less daunting to me due to there being more part time opportunities about and the learning curve being more gradual (re being able to take breaks between each level and still apply for jobs in colleges).

I do get anxious that I might be slightly less competitive for jobs than people with a post 16 or secondary pgce because I agree that pgce feel like it is a bigger deal. I am hoping that my other experience and qualifications will demonstrate my academic ability to potential employers. Tis a bit of a gamble but yeah :smile:

Are you going to go for the aet etc route or pgce? :smile:
Maybe because it is quite a competitive course to get into! I would love to undertake it myself! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe also because it can be hard to find the experience... I am also yet to find a teaching job with doesn't ask for 'at least degree level study in appropriate subject', so maybe jobs would be hard to come by as well. Plus you can't go into any further study very easily with out a degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending