The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
youll have to learn to keep your right hand visible at all times i guess :frown:
Reply 2
If you don't want them to come in close and lock the door!

I always walk into my flatmate's room :biggrin:
Just lock your door?
Reply 4
We generally used to prop our door open if we were around and just walked in and out of peoples rooms, whereas if someones door was shut we would knock before we went in. Maybe start propping your door open or something if you don't mind people coming in so they are less likely to just walk in if your door is shut - or just lock your door.
Reply 5
Someone did that to me and I had a huge go at them (in retrospect, this was a mistake)... But what the hell is with people who do that though? I wouldn't go into a family members room without knocking and waiting for permission, I wouldn't enter a friends house without ringing their doorbell- it's an invasion of your personal space and you have every right to ask them to knock. Just bring it up in conversation at some point, don't make it a huge deal :smile:
Reply 6
Hmm, maybe I got lucky - I've never had anyone just barge into my room, people have always knocked first.
Doors have locks for a reason...
Reply 8
Good luck getting privacy at uni! Just ask them to knock in future.
Reply 9
Marianne
Someone did that to me and I had a huge go at them (in retrospect, this was a mistake)... But what the hell is with people who do that though? I wouldn't go into a family members room without knocking and waiting for permission, I wouldn't enter a friends house without ringing their doorbell- it's an invasion of your personal space and you have every right to ask them to knock. Just bring it up in conversation at some point, don't make it a huge deal :smile:

Quite right. Some people seem to have been raised in barns.
Reply 10
My flatmates always knock before they come in.. if it's really a problem OP just lock the door.
Ive never had this problem, my door automatically locks when you close it (which can be anoying when you leave your key inside and close the door!) but I usually leave my door open all the time anyway, just think its more friendly than a closed door.
I have a problem where when my flatmate is drunk he always seems to mistake my bedroom door for the kitchen door :rolleyes: other than that it depends how close we are. My friends will often open the door a little ask if i'm im in or naked then come in!
Reply 13
I've never had any problems, we all knock before we walk in unless we know theres other people in there etc.

Just lock your door or mention for them to knock?
You could just make yourself unapproachable so no one will want to talk to you or go in your room.
i prop my door open, people know that if it is open (which it is most of the time) then they can walk in, if it's closed it means I DO NOT WANT TO BE DISTURBED ... people won't even knock.
i normally only lock my door when i'm asleep, cos i'm not normally wearing much, so i figure it's best! - but normally it's unlocked - i don't want to seem anti-social but i do like a bit of privacy sometimes!
Reply 17
Everyone I lived with was pretty good at guaging how comfortable people are with that kind of thing and tended to treat others appropriate to how they acted.

Me and one of my other flats mates always knocked before going into someones room, so everyone would knock on our doors before coming in, the people who just walked into other people's rooms tended to be walked in on themselves.
Just don't look at them when they enter, keep concentrating on your computer or something. Then turn around and go

"Oh sorry I didn't hear you knock, come in"

It simply affirms the idea that you expected them to knock.

In our staircases:
room closed, bin outside = do not disturb
room closed, bin not outisde = knock ... if no reply try the handle
room open = enter .... bring alcohol
You either need to speak to them about it, or find some other way of communicating that you expect them to knock...or just lock your door!

Latest

Trending

Trending