The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sae.HH
Sorry what do you mean by this? :p:

I meant 'I'm thinking something like that could all work' :tongue: I left out a word by mistake.
Reply 81
Original post by MrDystopia
I meant 'I'm thinking something like that could all work' :tongue: I left out a word by mistake.

Oh cool haha :biggrin: Well when I'm free I'll try and draw something up and then PM you and zion so you guys can decide if you like it or whatever :smile: Unless anyone else has a euraka moment and wants to draw up a template
Reply 82
there is no problem with that dude, i'm OK.

is Kobe already eligible for the HOF? i didnt know that. i thought only SHAQ and Yao MING were.
Reply 83
Nope just Shaq & Iverson.

Gg Clippers :colonhash:
Reply 84
I remember AI days, he was more dangerous than Lebron. But pride has destroyed his career. Not a hardworking guy like Kobe ,the Mamba.
Reply 85
Yao is eligible for hof. How can shaq be eligible and yao not?
Reply 86
I was wondering too
Reply 87
Original post by 4:20
Yao is eligible for hof. How can shaq be eligible and yao not?

Original post by zionpower
I was wondering too

He's eligible for sure, but does he deserve first ballot status? I don't think so tbh, I wouldn't even put Iverson there if he wasn't such a beast in his prime.

Nice to see Kobe rolling back the years last night with a beastly 31 points and 5 assists in 3 quarters.
Yao is eligible and I think should be first ballot. His accolades may not be as grand as other legends, but his overall influence on spreading the NBA abroad is massive. I think he definitely deserves it for that.
Reply 89
Original post by MrDystopia
Yao is eligible and I think should be first ballot. His accolades may not be as grand as other legends, but his overall influence on spreading the NBA abroad is massive. I think he definitely deserves it for that.

That's a good point still, but I don't know, 1st ballot is putting him with the all time greats, and a shorter induction delay than guys I'd consider better than him (Dominique, Thurmond).
Reply 90
Come on dude, Iverson?
1xMVP, 4xScoringChamp, 2xAllStarMVP, 26+ppg...And you said you are not seeing him in HoF ? Iverson was the answer in his prime, even Kobe was not playing like high level like he does
Reply 91
Come on dude, Iverson?
1xMVP, 4xScoringChamp, 2xAllStarMVP, 26+ppg...And you said you are not seeing him in HoF ? Iverson was the answer in his prime, even Kobe was not playing like high level like he does

Meant first ballot! Obviously :p:
Reply 92
To me he is
Reply 93
To me he is

I can respect that, I guess it depends on how strict you really want to be. I feel like our HOF isn't as prestigious as say the NFL. Not using Iverson as an example since he's a great obviously.

But if Yao Ming were excepted in the same manner it just makes it seem less prestigious. Dystopia makes a good point but it'd just feel like dilution.
Reply 94
I understand. But you see.. We are a different Sport. I'm not in agreement with dystopia about Yao impact in the NBA. He is was a #1 draft pick yes, but his influence in the game was not quite seen. Some people only remember him as the tallest NBA player at his time. I remember his first year, a nonchalant guy who always making "air ball" and his teammate were laughing at him.
Therefore, I think the NBA is considering other criteria. I think there is a member in the HoF who was not even a player or a coach, am I right?
I understand. But you see.. We are a different Sport. I'm not in agreement with dystopia about Yao impact in the NBA. He is was a #1 draft pick yes, but his influence in the game was not quite seen.

There's not really any way you can disagree to be frank. His impact in the US may not have been much, but he certainly helped the growing presence of the league abroad, obviously majorly in China where he was the most well known celebrity for years. He's by far one of the most enduring international players of the league, so in that respect his contribution to the game is pretty huge.
Reply 96
I understand your point Dystopia. That was my views regarding his admission to the HoF. Yao is good, but I also join Sae.H on saying that NBA HoF seems not prestigious regarding his selection of future members. Yao played in China and USA but has more success in China where I believe he should be in "china HoF". If we choose him, we should also consider Stephon Marbury who has a huge success in China and USA, also he has made a way to many others players.
is the criteria of HoF still prestigious as Sae.H said before? I say no
I understand your point Dystopia. That was my views regarding his admission to the HoF. Yao is good, but I also join Sae.H on saying that NBA HoF seems not prestigious regarding his selection of future members. Yao played in China and USA but has more success in China where I believe he should be in "china HoF". If we choose him, we should also consider Stephon Marbury who has a huge success in China and USA, also he has made a way to many others players.
is the criteria of HoF still prestigious as Sae.H said before? I say no

I think you guys shouldn't get so hung up on this whole idea of prestige. Perhaps the reason you guys are comparing it to the NFL one is because they are in fact quite distinct from one another. The NFL Hall of Fame (Or Pro Football Hall of Fame) generally really only accepts people who have played in the NFL. The second best American Football league in the world, the CFL, hardly gets anyone in there. In fact, if you look it up, it says how every inductee into the football HoF except 1 in history has played at some point in the NFL.

The basketball hall of fame is just that, a basketball one. There is no 'NBA Hall of Fame'. It's for everyone worldwide. For example, Yao Ming was nominated via the International Committee, not the N American. In actuality he has been eligible since 2012. I think the idea of prestige is confused because one HoF is exclusively NFL, whereas the other is basketball as a whole, not just the NBA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 98
Yes it's not just the NBA. We are just talking about Yao's nomination which seems not relevant or important . Basketball HoF eligibility criteria is not selective enough. If Yao is a HoF then as I said before Marbury should, at the end of his career.
I respect their eligibility requirements though
Reply 99

So All-Star fan votes are counted. Here are the standings; Thoughts? Surprised Kobe takes it by a landslide to be honest, annoys me that Kawhi will piss out starting as a result, doesn't really matter though. What's more interesting is Kyrie coming second despite having played 2 games this season...

Wild card predictions? Harden and Rondo for the west are the obvious choices, for the east realistically I think Wall and Whiteside, but I'd really love to see Rose make an appearance.

Latest