The Student Room Group

Selection Weekend for ULOTC (October 2015)

Hi,

I'm very set on joining the UOTC for the University of London (I am currently studying at KCL) and I am slightly concerned about the fitness requirements.

I am a strong swimmer, I can swim a mile in 35-40 minutes and took part in the Great Newham London Swim in July. I haven't done much running recently, but I suppose if my cardio is decent enough and I put the time in, I'll be fine.

I can do 60 sit ups in 2 minutes, but I am terrible at doing press ups. I can barely manage one, which is pretty embarrassing. Obviously, I'll train for it, but I'm worried that if I can manage everything else except that, I will fail selection.

So far, I've heard that they aren't too arsey about the fitness requirements, as long as you're fit enough and put the effort in, you will pass.

Has anyone here completed and passed selection before? If so, how did you find it? Any heads up and info would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Fitness is far from the only factor in the selection criteria!!!

While fitness is key to getting the most out of the training programme, other elements of the Selection Weekend are equally important. Generally, the people who seem to do well are people who are healthy, who want to improve their fitness, who have potential and who throw themselves into the weekend.

The ULOTC can (and will!) develop your fitness over the course of the year and - while you probably shouldn't skip "arm day" in the run up to Selection Weekend - this is not going to be the deciding factor. Best effort and all that good stuff. Hope that calms your mind. :smile:

All the best.
Cordee

Source: Did selection weekend last year and will be helping run it this year! Woo hoo! See you there!!!!!

Original post by miff-meista
Hi,

I'm very set on joining the UOTC for the University of London (I am currently studying at KCL) and I am slightly concerned about the fitness requirements.

I am a strong swimmer, I can swim a mile in 35-40 minutes and took part in the Great Newham London Swim in July. I haven't done much running recently, but I suppose if my cardio is decent enough and I put the time in, I'll be fine.

I can do 60 sit ups in 2 minutes, but I am terrible at doing press ups. I can barely manage one, which is pretty embarrassing. Obviously, I'll train for it, but I'm worried that if I can manage everything else except that, I will fail selection.

So far, I've heard that they aren't too arsey about the fitness requirements, as long as you're fit enough and put the effort in, you will pass.

Has anyone here completed and passed selection before? If so, how did you find it? Any heads up and info would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest