The Student Room Group

What THE ****

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That's actually a strawman argument, as no one is condemning them for eating meat whilst they themselves eat meat, they're condemning the method of killing, so it's not actually hypocrisy.

Mate yes it is. You do know in places like spain they kill the bull after they toy around with it and use it for entertainment. Even in Nepal, Hindus kill "buffalos at the beginning of Hindu ceremony which sees up to 300,000 animals killed to bring worshipers good luck". So why do you people not speak up against these stuff? Oh right, cause muslims aren't in the headline smh.
Original post by Evening
I'm eating a steak sandwich right now. What you gonna do bitch?

im gna roast a camel in response. u jelly? my meat is bigger than urs :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
That's actually a strawman argument, as no one is condemning them for eating meat whilst they themselves eat meat, they're condemning the method of killing, so it's not actually hypocrisy.

It remains hypocrisy, as I pointed out earlier, when our methods of killing are notoriously susceptible to error, and some of them are probably not humane in the first place. It also remains hypocrisy when people eat meat from animals kept in terrible conditions and transported under great amounts of stress.

Of course you should be outraged about this, but perhaps you should take a look at your own actions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AzimH
Mate yes it is. You do know in places like spain they kill the bull after they toy around with it and use it for entertainment. Even in Nepal, Hindus kill "buffalos at the beginning of Hindu ceremony which sees up to 300,000 animals killed to bring worshipers good luck". So why do you people not speak up against these stuff? Oh right, cause muslims aren't in the headline smh.

Fair point. So many cultures around the world have this thing for bull rituals, and it involves torture.

I think Spanish matadors of bulls are the worst!!! I mean really? Why humiliate someone and then poke at them till they bleed out? What is the point? They don't even do it for religious purposes, despite whatever possible history it might have. It's for pure kicks and ****ing giggles.
Reply 84
Original post by Sweet n Sour
Fair point. So many cultures around the world have this thing for bull rituals, and it involves torture.

I think Spanish matadors of bulls are the worst!!! I mean really? Why humiliate someone and then poke at them till they bleed out? What is the point? They don't even do it for religious purposes, despite whatever possible history it might have. It's for pure kicks and ****ing giggles.

Yup I agree completely. I just find it stupid and pointless. They're mocking the animal.
Original post by viddy9
It remains hypocrisy, as I pointed out earlier, when our methods of killing are notoriously susceptible to error, and some of them are probably not humane in the first place. It also remains hypocrisy when people eat meat from animals kept in terrible conditions and transported under great amounts of stress.

Of course you should be outraged about this, but perhaps you should take a look at your own actions.

Yes, the conditions they're raised in are awful, true, but I was referencing the hypocrisy specifically to the way they're killed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2852739/Nepal-devotees-sacrifice-thousands-animals-Hindu-ritual.html

What about this? And the meat aint even used for this one.....
I know though, just cause it's a Islamic thing, lets all bash it!
Original post by AzimH

No, that's a whole different issue, killing animals for sport, although I do think that is just as barbaric.
As it's already been stated it's an ancient ritual. I don't know your beliefs or if you have any at all for that, but last time I checked, traditional rituals reenacted age old practices and methods in modern times and so on. That's..the point. This particular practice just happens to be disgusting. But the concept of holding to tradition is not.

What is your point.

Human sacrifice is also an "ancient ritual" in certain religions/cultures, would you defend that also?
Reply 89
Original post by viddy9
Plants are not sentient, and even if they were - what do you think animals reared for meat eat? A lot more plant protein is required to produce 1kg of meat than is required to produce 1kg of plant protein.

Vegetarianism is not about purity, it's about reducing suffering. So, even if plants were sentient, vegetarians would still be responsible for far less suffering.

Do you eat meat substitutes or eggs?
The level of deflection on this thread is frightening.

Surely if the ritual is defensible it ought to be defensible in its own right, without the need to deflect onto other issues, such as the morality of eating meat at all?

Saying that, I think it's perfectly legitimate to say that it is just as legitimate as eating meat at all. But I'd take that as an admission that the ritual can't be defended in its own right and is objectionable, instead of a justification of the ritual.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by samina_ay
The real question is: are you vegan?:sly:

yes,why question it?
Reply 92
Yes, the conditions they're raised in are awful, true, but I was referencing the hypocrisy specifically to the way they're killed.

Well, as I stated - and documented - in an earlier reply to you, a significant proportion of slaughters go wrong in the West, and many methods, such as gassing, are not humane at all.

Furthermore, I imagine many people on TSR - and many people in the US who complain about Halal slaughter - have eaten chicken raised in the United States, where there are no laws regarding their slaughter, meaning that they can be - and are - placed into boiling hot water whilst fully conscious.

Concern about the way in which they are killed is not inherently about the method, though. It is about the fact that the animals are suffering. Thus, it is hypocritical to be concerned in this instance, yet continue to eat meat.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Human sacrifice is also an "ancient ritual" in certain religions/cultures, would you defend that also?

I already made that point, don't waste your time trying to bring reason into a discussion with her...
Reply 94
Original post by Mr JB
Do you eat meat substitutes or eggs?

What do you mean by a meat substitute?

I don't eat eggs.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip

Oh so that's what he was saying. Don't know why he had a tit fit and left, and didn't just elaborate.

Okay so equating cow sacrifice to human sacrifice. Great.
Well I wasn't defending ancient ritual. I was defending why Muslims today are still not using stun guns, at least in those photos, as Plantagent Crown pointed out.

And I said when one is practicing ancient rituals for the purposes of tradition, they will reenact it the same way. That's the point.

I never said, because it is ancient tradition it is right. And unless Mexicans go around sacrificing humans still, I don't know why we're talking about Aztecs :lol:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I already made that point, don't waste your time trying to bring reason into a discussion with her...

Piss off, pilgrim. You're being immature.
Original post by judogainz
yes,why question it?

Completely vegan? Animal cruelty free and stuff?
Meaning no dairy products etc.

It's illegal in Catalonia and an increasingly large proportion of the young population is against the practice. It will probably be outlawed in all of Spain within the next 20 years or so.
Reply 99
1. The animal ends up dead either way

2. People from privileged backgrounds who buy packaged food are crying about animals being slaughtered which is what their ancestors used to do - so they're insulting their ancestors as well who used to slaughter animals and hang it in pantries covered in salt to stay fresh

3. Vegetarians who eat meat substitutes or/and eggs are massive hypocrites - the industry has contributed to massive problems across the world - http://reducing-suffering.org/how-much-direct-suffering-is-caused-by-various-animal-foods/ - vegetarians really need to get down from their high horse,

4. Animals are slaughtered all over the world every day by various people of various races for various reasons. The only reason anyone is kicking up a fuss here is because its Islamic and they want to cast it as barbaric and by association attribute all things Islamic as barbaric - I'm not a Muslim but listening to the constant tirade against Islam is boring when other cults, groups or whatever do similar things with little finger pointing going their way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending