The Student Room Group

Question regarding offers

Do people get offers for computer science even though their AS grades are below entry requirements (yet their predictions match the requirements). So for example, getting BBC at AS and predicted AAB/ABB- would you get an offer from AAB/ABB universities with those AS grades?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by Mister Triaa
Do people get offers for computer science even though their AS grades are below entry requirements (yet their predictions match the requirements). So for example, getting BBC at AS and predicted AAB/ABB- would you get an offer from AAB/ABB universities with those AS grades?
Thanks in advance.

If you're predicted the required grades, you have a chance although the university might have its own judgement of whether your predicted grades are realistic (e.g. if you had CCD and were predicted AAB), which might influence whether they give you an offer or not.
Original post by Hydeman
If you're predicted the required grades, you have a chance although the university might have its own judgement of whether your predicted grades are realistic (e.g. if you had CCD and were predicted AAB), which might influence whether they give you an offer or not.

Thank you. I am sitting the graded Welsh Bacc as well which I'm supposed to get an A*/A in (most unis accept it in place of one A level) so I feel I can definitely meet those entry requirements and I'm determined to do so.
Original post by Mister Triaa
Thank you. I am sitting the graded Welsh Bacc as well which I'm supposed to get an A*/A in (most unis accept it in place of one A level) so I feel I can definitely meet those entry requirements and I'm determined to do so.

Alright. Make sure you get a distinction on your investigation though -- without it you can't get an A* in the Welsh Bacc Core.

I would recommend either looking at www.search.ucas.com or the websites of the universities you're looking at for more specific advice because universities have differing policies regarding the Bacc.

UCL, for example, accepts the Bacc alongside higher than usual entry requirements in two A Levels, which is an important factor. An example of this would be an A*AA course. If you were offering the Bacc, they would also give you an alternative way of meeting the offer by saying that you need to get A*A* in two A Levels and a pass in the Bacc.

Other universities might require specific grades in a third A Level subject (e.g. Cardiff requires at least a C in the third subject if you're using the Bacc). More to point: most universities will specify that you can only use it to replace non-subject-specified grades. So you still need A Level grades in relevant subjects i.e. you'll still need at least As in physics and maths if you're applying to study physics at most Russell Group universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending