The Student Room Group

Living with us could make her 1st year suck

So in our flat are 4 postgrad students studying really full on masters courses. Ie- no time to go out really, at all. We started a week ago, now one fresher has moved in today and is a bit of a party animal and loud. Firstly we can't be coping with lots of noise as we have tonnes of work and have to be up at 7.30 every morning for full days of lectures. Sounds selfish so far (sorry I really care about my education at the moment). But also I feel bad for her. She's got the whole of freshers week ahead of her and we won't go out at all, so who's she meant to go out with? She could find other people in the flats to try and join but its hard when they will already know their own flat. I just know if, when I was a fresher, I had been in a flat with a load of boring postgrads, I would have been pretty lonely and annoyed.
Reply 1
She'll probably find someone to go out with. Did you discuss this with her? That you're busy? You should talk with her, and make your worries clear. You are after all living together. :smile:
Original post by MonicaR
She'll probably find someone to go out with. Did you discuss this with her? That you're busy? You should talk with her, and make your worries clear. You are after all living together. :smile:

Haven't had chance as she's not been in and not gunna lie she isn't the most approachable person! But her mum had a convo with us and we told her, although she didn't really seem to understand how busy we were trying to say we are! She just brushed it off and laughed. Hopefully she'll meet and get on with her coursemates and go to theirs on nights out
Reply 3
Original post by Lolala1234
So in our flat are 4 postgrad students studying really full on masters courses. Ie- no time to go out really, at all. We started a week ago, now one fresher has moved in today and is a bit of a party animal and loud. Firstly we can't be coping with lots of noise as we have tonnes of work and have to be up at 7.30 every morning for full days of lectures. Sounds selfish so far (sorry I really care about my education at the moment). But also I feel bad for her. She's got the whole of freshers week ahead of her and we won't go out at all, so who's she meant to go out with? She could find other people in the flats to try and join but its hard when they will already know their own flat. I just know if, when I was a fresher, I had been in a flat with a load of boring postgrads, I would have been pretty lonely and annoyed.

She will make friends with coursemates anyway but especially don't worry if you're in uni flats! If you were in a private rented house and she was on her own it'd be a bit harder, but the other flats are in easy reach, she can happily go and chat to the others.

If you're really worried you could perhaps just say to her one day "Why don't we go and meet the other flats?", you can just pop in and say hi but it helps her open it up to chat with them a bit more. They're bound to say you're all welcome to come by or invite you all to some social event, she can say yes and she then has her way in.

Honestly don't worry, it's not your fault and she will be absolutely fine.
It is not your responsibility to make her first year 'awesome' but it is her responsibility to be respectful of your right to peace and quiet.
Reply 5
Original post by SmallTownGirl
It is not your responsibility to make her first year 'awesome' but it is her responsibility to be respectful of your right to peace and quiet.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending