The Student Room Group

Second Year Advice/Tips?

Hi all. I'm looking for some tips going into my 2nd year at uni. I am an English student but I'm open to advice from any discipline.

For context on which class I'm currently working at:
In the Autumn semester of 1st year, I finished with about 72. In Spring Semester, it was much lower because one of my modules randomly got a 56 despite having 1 to 1 workshops on my work with my lecturer. His contract was terminated with the university so I can't even ask about it.

Any tips on revising 1st year info, organisation, essay planning etc. would be very much appreciated!
Original post by NestleCrunch
Hi all. I'm looking for some tips going into my 2nd year at uni. I am an English student but I'm open to advice from any discipline.

In the Autumn semester of 1st year, I finished with about 72. In Spring Semester, it was much lower because one of my modules randomly got a 56 despite having 1 to 1 workshops on my work with my lecturer. His contract was terminated with the university so I can't even ask about it.

Any tips on revising 1st year info, organisation, essay planning etc. would be very much appreciated!

In the Autumn semester of 1st year, I finished with about 72.
Congrats

In Spring Semester, it was much lower because one of my modules randomly got a 56 despite having 1 to 1 workshops on my work with my lecturer.
That sucks

I don't do (nor have I done) English, but if you're looking for general advice:

Work harder in your second year than your third - your second year is the easier year to max out your grades, and having a higher grade in your second year means you have a less stressful time with your third should you want a particular grade in your degree

Learn to speed read if you can - a life skill that makes your life easier in general

Learn to touch type - another life skilll

Learn to become proficient in Microsoft Office - life skill

If you're just going for grades, pick the modules you can do better in than the modules you are more interested in

Network with people and befriend people more - this would help with job opportunities upon graduation as well as getting jobs during uni (if applicable)

Apply for internships at the start of the year (in fact, you should do this now) - an internship can go a long way in terms of getting work

If you're going to live off campus, go for hourse/flat shares where the number of tenants vs bathrooms/toilets is never more than 2:1

If you can't find a group of people to do a houseshare with, go on spareroom.com

Bring a bike with you if you have to walk for more than 15 minutes to get to campus

If you can find a place to park your car near your accommodation and you're not based in a city, bring a car with you - helps getting into town as well as getting groceries from supermarkets

Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
In the Autumn semester of 1st year, I finished with about 72.
Congrats

In Spring Semester, it was much lower because one of my modules randomly got a 56 despite having 1 to 1 workshops on my work with my lecturer.
That sucks

I don't do (nor have I done) English, but if you're looking for general advice:

Work harder in your second year than your third - your second year is the easier year to max out your grades, and having a higher grade in your second year means you have a less stressful time with your third should you want a particular grade in your degree

Learn to speed read if you can - a life skill that makes your life easier in general

Learn to touch type - another life skilll

Learn to become proficient in Microsoft Office - life skill

If you're just going for grades, pick the modules you can do better in than the modules you are more interested in

Network with people and befriend people more - this would help with job opportunities upon graduation as well as getting jobs during uni (if applicable)

Apply for internships at the start of the year (in fact, you should do this now) - an internship can go a long way in terms of getting work

If you're going to live off campus, go for hourse/flat shares where the number of tenants vs bathrooms/toilets is never more than 2:1

If you can't find a group of people to do a houseshare with, go on spareroom.com

Bring a bike with you if you have to walk for more than 15 minutes to get to campus

If you can find a place to park your car near your accommodation and you're not based in a city, bring a car with you - helps getting into town as well as getting groceries from supermarkets

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed help. I'm likely going to study abroad in my second semester but I might apply for internships just to have something to fall back on. Again, thanks for all the effort! :smile:

Hey!

You've received some really great & thorough advice and I agree with everything that was said above :biggrin: I personally didn't do English either but hopefully can help as well!

Just wanted to add a few things that may be helpful for second/third year:
- Create separate to-do lists for each module (this sounds really simple but really helped me stay on track rather than having one big jumbled one - I personally used Todoist in my second and third year and it helped me to become so organised and know exactly what I needed to do)

- Start making revision materials/essay plans now & as you go through the second year (even after every class if you can, can be time consuming but so worth it)

- Create a traffic light system for different modules, i.e. colour code each module on a spreadsheet as to whether it's green (you know it well), amber (you know it, but probably should go over it) and red (need to go over it) and keep updating it monthly or weekly as you go towards exam season. This helped me stay on track with what modules needed the most work and helped me avoid revising the same things over and over again!

- Treat uni almost as your 9-5 job - this may not work for everyone but personally worked for me as I was living off-campus and am really bad at time management (still working on this now doing my PhD) :biggrin:: I found treating uni as a 9-5 made me manage my time so much better, i.e. being on campus all day, being at the library doing work when not in lectures etc. (I always had breaks & obviously didn't do this 5 days a week as that's probably a bit intense but whatever days I was at uni, I would make sure to get there for 9 and stay until the end of the day and do work)

Hope this helps & best of luck with second year!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

You've received some really great & thorough advice and I agree with everything that was said above :biggrin: I personally didn't do English either but hopefully can help as well!

Just wanted to add a few things that may be helpful for second/third year:
- Create separate to-do lists for each module (this sounds really simple but really helped me stay on track rather than having one big jumbled one - I personally used Todoist in my second and third year and it helped me to become so organised and know exactly what I needed to do)

- Start making revision materials/essay plans now & as you go through the second year (even after every class if you can, can be time consuming but so worth it)

- Create a traffic light system for different modules, i.e. colour code each module on a spreadsheet as to whether it's green (you know it well), amber (you know it, but probably should go over it) and red (need to go over it) and keep updating it monthly or weekly as you go towards exam season. This helped me stay on track with what modules needed the most work and helped me avoid revising the same things over and over again!

- Treat uni almost as your 9-5 job - this may not work for everyone but personally worked for me as I was living off-campus and am really bad at time management (still working on this now doing my PhD) :biggrin:: I found treating uni as a 9-5 made me manage my time so much better, i.e. being on campus all day, being at the library doing work when not in lectures etc. (I always had breaks & obviously didn't do this 5 days a week as that's probably a bit intense but whatever days I was at uni, I would make sure to get there for 9 and stay until the end of the day and do work)

Hope this helps & best of luck with second year!!

Natalie

Thanks for adding more!

I also stay off-campus and in my first year I was always so quick to rush home just to lie in bed and do nothing, so I will definitely take your advice onboard! I'm motivated to leaving excuses behind and giving uni a proper try this time.

I was thinking of writing a short essay every week to hone my academic writing skills but I wasn't sure if it would actually make a difference in practice. Since it's quite similar to your second tip, could you provide any benefits you've seen from doing that? For context, my course doesn't have any traditional exams, just coursework and portfolios of essays (if that changes anything).
Thanks for adding more!

I also stay off-campus and in my first year I was always so quick to rush home just to lie in bed and do nothing, so I will definitely take your advice onboard! I'm motivated to leaving excuses behind and giving uni a proper try this time.

I was thinking of writing a short essay every week to hone my academic writing skills but I wasn't sure if it would actually make a difference in practice. Since it's quite similar to your second tip, could you provide any benefits you've seen from doing that? For context, my course doesn't have any traditional exams, just coursework and portfolios of essays (if that changes anything).

Hey, no worries!

Oh okay, I found the benefit in that for exam revision but I think it could definitely be worth it still! Especially if you have an advisor/supervisor who could review things and advise you? They may not have time to look at things weekly but even if you could do something extra fortnightly/monthly to get additional feedback on could really help improve your grades :smile:

Best of luck with everything!

Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending