The Student Room Group

Leaving top uni to resit A levels

I currently at a top university in London, Kings College, and wrongly picked it due to reputation, and now I am hating being in London.
I am loving my course, just not the university experience, I'm commuting, but at the moment I am glad I have chosen to live at home because I am so miserable in London.

I want to take a gap year, resit some exams, get a job, work experience and volunteer abroad, but everyone I talk to is pretty much against this.

I was hoping to reapply to Exeter, the only thing I fear is not getting the grades, and then leaving Kings to go to Exeter and then having no where to go.

From speaking to people, they say that Kings is much more reputable that Exeter, should I just be miserable for 3 years to get the degree and get a good jobs.

I really don't know what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizmoo0721
I currently at a top university in London, Kings College, and wrongly picked it due to reputation, and now I am hating being in London.
I am loving my course, just not the university experience, I'm commuting, but at the moment I am glad I have chosen to live at home because I am so miserable in London.

I want to take a gap year, resit some exams, get a job, work experience and volunteer abroad, but everyone I talk to is pretty much against this.

I was hoping to reapply to Exeter, the only thing I fear is not getting the grades, and then leaving Kings to go to Exeter and then having no where to go.

From speaking to people, they say that Kings is much more reputable that Exeter, should I just be miserable for 3 years to get the degree and get a good jobs.

Why would you need to resit your A Levels? :confused:

Why don't you ring Exeter and see what grades you'd need first ..

KCL is one of the World's best universities. If you are having problems, see your tutor, speak to course mates, speak to lecturers etc. Don't just leave for the hell of it. Exeter is good, but it isn't KCL material.

First of all, why are you miserable?

Think about it.

I take that you have already done one year. You can transfer to some universities/ you could apply to the US. Just ring up the universities and provided you have good - 2.1/1st grades you have a good chance.
Stay at Kings!!!!
Reply 8
I was in the same situation, not that i went to one of the top universities but I hated my university and was miserable. I just couldn't see myself studying in that city and the university life was the total opposite of the 'Dream vision' i had in mind or more like had been put into my mind.

Everyone thought I was making the wrong decision and I felt i was being forced to stay. But I went with my gut feeling and dropped out only a week ago and now i'm home looking for work and reapplying to a university where i know i'll enjoy studying. Honestly go with your gut feeling, it's better than being miserable for the rest of the year. You can always reapply for the same course.

Just don't overthink.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You should know universities will not look favourably on your decision to drop out. They have statistics and targets to meet so they can't afford to accept people who are going to quit on them after a month of uni.

Why do you hate the city? As long as you meet some good people you will love it, no matter how **** the atmosphere is, trust me
Original post by kmahz
I was in the same situation, not that i went to one of the top universities but I hated my university and was miserable. I just couldn't see myself studying in that city and the university life was the total opposite of the 'Dream vision' i had in mind or more like had been put into my mind.

Everyone thought I was making the wrong decision and I felt i was being forced to stay. But I went with my gut feeling and dropped out only a week ago and now i'm home looking for work and reapplying to a university where i know i'll enjoy studying. Honestly go with your gut feeling, it's better than being miserable for the rest of the year. You can always reapply for the same course.

Just don't overthink.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a different argument. Who can afford to drop out of KCL on a whim? It is probably the UK's 6th best university.
Original post by King of the Ring
That is a different argument. Who can afford to drop out of KCL on a whim? It is probably the UK's 6th best university.

You fail to account for the effect being miserable at university might have on the OP's grades and his degree classification hence. A first from a less prestigious university where the OP is happy is going to look better than a 2:2 or a third from King's.

The same is true of other top universities: unless you can get a 2:1 or better, the name of the university on your certificate is not going to give you any significant advantage over a high-performing applicant from another university, whether it be in employment or further study.

Original post by ice_man
You should know universities will not look favourably on your decision to drop out. They have statistics and targets to meet so they can't afford to accept people who are going to quit on them after a month of uni.

Why do you hate the city? As long as you meet some good people you will love it, no matter how **** the atmosphere is, trust me

This is a very valid point. The OP should think about it twice -- some universities do have a policy of not accepting dropouts but the OP has to think about his own satisfaction as well, unfortunately. Admittedly, 'I didn't like the atmosphere' might not make for a good excuse, especially since any other university the OP applies to could question why he didn't visit the university on an open day beforehand to find out.

It's not an easy situation, really. :dontknow:
A friend of mine went from KCL to Bath no problem after the first year despite not having the original grades that Bath wanted. You should be able to do that too.
Original post by Hydeman
A first from a less prestigious university where the OP is happy is going to look better than a 2:2 or a third from King's.

Possibly, but that's entirely within OP's control. You don't have to neglect your work just because you're unhappy.

I too would like to know why OP is miserable.

Good heavens, and what is the 29th?
Original post by Selym95

Warwick?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Warwick?

Right, thought we were at least 28th
Original post by Selym95

Read KCL's strategic plan, they set out which are the UK's leading universities, based on the QS World rankings. That is one way of doing things, but a sound way IMO.
Original post by Roving Fish
Why would you need to resit your A Levels? :confused:

Because I didn't do as well in one of my subjects, I contacted Exeter and they said I would need to resit it.
KCL is one of the World's best universities. If you are having problems, see your tutor, speak to course mates, speak to lecturers etc. Don't just leave for the hell of it. Exeter is good, but it isn't KCL material.

Hi, I understand it is a good university, but I'm not going to do well if I'm miserable. I am going to speak to my tutor today, and see what my options are. I don't particularly get on with people on my course, I don't relate to them in any way. IM NOT LEAVING FOR THE HELL OF IT, it is making me miserable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending