The Student Room Group

Pope: Women priests can't be done

Pope Francis appeared to weigh in on the side of anti-gay-marriage clerk Kim Davis, saying government workers have a "human right" to refuse to carry out a duty if they have a "conscientious objection."While returning from his visit to the U.S., the pontiff told reporters aboard the papal plane Monday that anyone who prevents others from exercising their religious freedom is denying them a human right.His comments are likely to be seized upon by backers of Kentucky-based Davis, whose refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples in defiance of a Supreme Court ruling has turned into her into a folk hero among some on the religious right.The pontiff was asked: "Do you support those individuals, including government officials, who say they cannot in good conscience, their own personal conscience, abide by some laws or discharge their duties as government officials, for example when issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples?"He did not refer specifically to Davis in his reply, saying: "I can't have in mind all the cases that can exist about conscientious objection but yes, I can say that conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right."Francis added: "Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying, 'this right that has merit, this one does not.'"Pope Francis aboard the papal plane early Monday. TONY GENTILE / AFP - Getty ImagesAsked if this principle applied to government officials carrying out their duties, he replied: "It is a human right and if a government official is a human person, he has that right. It is a human right."Francis' remarks were translated by pool reporters aboard the plane, and were not an official translation.The pope also said he understands the anger of people abused by clergy, saying: "I pray for them."He spoke after meeting with some victims of Catholic Church abuse in Philadelphia Sunday on the final day of his visit to the United States. The pontiff prayed with and blessed three women and two men, according to a statement from the Vatican, in a meeting that lasted about 30 minutes."AS FOR WOMEN PRIESTS, THAT CANNOT BE DONE"On his flight back to the Vatican, Francis was asked about victims and relatives who do not forgive the church for the crimes of priests."I met a woman who told me 'when my mother found out that I had been abused, she became blasphemous, she lost her faith and she died an atheist,'" the pope said. "I understand that woman. I understand her."He added: "I pray for them. And I don't judge them."Francis also spoke about the issue of women priests, firmly ruling out any idea of the Catholic church following the Anglican example."As for women priests, that cannot be done," he said, explaining that the issue had already been examined in "long, long intense discussions" by Pope John Paul II."Not because women don't have the capacity. Look, in the church women are more important than men, because the church is a woman. It is 'la' [female] church, not 'il' [masculine] church. The church is the bride of Jesus Christ. And the Madonna is more important than popes and bishops and priests."He added: "I must admit we are a bit late in an elaboration of the theology of women. We have to move ahead with that theology. Yes, that's true."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pope-francis-visits-america/pope-francis-i-understand-anger-catholic-church-sex-abuse-victims-n434681
I'll love the moment when the Tea Baggers will conveniently ignore his stance on everything else, and pretend as though they've been best buds when it comes to Kim Davis.
"the pontiff told reporters aboard the papal plane Monday that anyone who prevents others from exercising their religious freedom is denying them a human right"

Dude needs to back down off of his high horse there for a second and have a serious think about what he's actually saying, because it sounds as though he thinks that the religious beliefs of one person are more important than the love between two people; the lesser of two morals, surely?

"Look, in the church women are more important than men, because the church is a woman. It is 'la' [female] church, not 'il' [masculine] church"

So if the priests are male, but the church is female, he's of the opinion that only a man can enter a woman? :sexface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Pope Francis appeared to weigh in on the side of anti-gay-marriage clerk Kim Davis, saying government workers have a "human right" to refuse to carry out a duty if they have a "conscientious objection."While returning from his visit to the U.S., the pontiff told reporters aboard the papal plane Monday that anyone who prevents others from exercising their religious freedom is denying them a human right.His comments are likely to be seized upon by backers of Kentucky-based Davis, whose refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples in defiance of a Supreme Court ruling has turned into her into a folk hero among some on the religious right.The pontiff was asked: "Do you support those individuals, including government officials, who say they cannot in good conscience, their own personal conscience, abide by some laws or discharge their duties as government officials, for example when issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples?"He did not refer specifically to Davis in his reply, saying: "I can't have in mind all the cases that can exist about conscientious objection but yes, I can say that conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right. It is a right. And if a person does not allow others to be a conscientious objector, he denies a right."Francis added: "Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right, a human right. Otherwise we would end up in a situation where we select what is a right, saying, 'this right that has merit, this one does not.'"Pope Francis aboard the papal plane early Monday. TONY GENTILE / AFP - Getty ImagesAsked if this principle applied to government officials carrying out their duties, he replied: "It is a human right and if a government official is a human person, he has that right. It is a human right."Francis' remarks were translated by pool reporters aboard the plane, and were not an official translation.The pope also said he understands the anger of people abused by clergy, saying: "I pray for them."He spoke after meeting with some victims of Catholic Church abuse in Philadelphia Sunday on the final day of his visit to the United States. The pontiff prayed with and blessed three women and two men, according to a statement from the Vatican, in a meeting that lasted about 30 minutes."AS FOR WOMEN PRIESTS, THAT CANNOT BE DONE"On his flight back to the Vatican, Francis was asked about victims and relatives who do not forgive the church for the crimes of priests."I met a woman who told me 'when my mother found out that I had been abused, she became blasphemous, she lost her faith and she died an atheist,'" the pope said. "I understand that woman. I understand her."He added: "I pray for them. And I don't judge them."Francis also spoke about the issue of women priests, firmly ruling out any idea of the Catholic church following the Anglican example."As for women priests, that cannot be done," he said, explaining that the issue had already been examined in "long, long intense discussions" by Pope John Paul II."Not because women don't have the capacity. Look, in the church women are more important than men, because the church is a woman. It is 'la' [female] church, not 'il' [masculine] church. The church is the bride of Jesus Christ. And the Madonna is more important than popes and bishops and priests."He added: "I must admit we are a bit late in an elaboration of the theology of women. We have to move ahead with that theology. Yes, that's true."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pope-francis-visits-america/pope-francis-i-understand-anger-catholic-church-sex-abuse-victims-n434681

Actually real reason is in a quote from Francis below:

"The Catholic Church has been molesting young boys for centuries, and I'll be damned to hell if I am going to let feminism get in the way of it"
Original post by MAINE.
Actually real reason is in a quote from Francis below:

They have been playing song in a minor for ages indeed. Only that centuries ago they literally took children way from parents. A lot more convenient.
Original post by Drunk Punx
"the pontiff told reporters aboard the papal plane Monday that anyone who prevents others from exercising their religious freedom is denying them a human right"

Dude needs to back down off of his high horse there for a second and have a serious think about what he's actually saying, because it sounds as though he thinks that the religious beliefs of one person are more important than the love between two people; the lesser of two morals, surely?

"Look, in the church women are more important than men, because the church is a woman. It is 'la' [female] church, not 'il' [masculine] church"

So if the priests are male, but the church is female, he's of the opinion that only a man can enter a woman? :sexface:

Also, he said Madonna is more important than bishops and priests. :sexface:

Only The Queen of Pop Madonna the biggest-selling female act of all-time. :sexface: Buy Rebel Heart Tour's tickets on Ticketmaster now Your Holiness. :sexface:
Women have many vocations in the Church. Some are called to be Nuns. Mainly they fulfil God's plan by marrying and raising children in the Faith.
Reply 7
This bores me. I'm still somewhat religious, but I cannot help but be irritated by the special pleading from churches.

'saying government workers have a "human right" to refuse to carry out a duty if they have a "conscientious objection."'

All well and good perhaps. I do not believe anyone should be forced in any way to, say, fight in a war if they have a conscientious objection and work can be found elsewhere for them. What I do have a gripe with is people asserting their right not to do a job - and then expecting to keep the job.

If a small, incidental part of your job can be avoided for the sake of your faith where no-one is harmed or particularly put-out, fine. You can be reasonably accommodated. But refusing to process legally valid marriages is an inherent part of a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending