The Student Room Group

Applying to universities

Hi everybody, I'm an international student from China and I'm currently studying A level courses in uk. I have been working on my ps these days and now Im hesitating about which university to apply to.
Im doing double Maths, physics and chemistry. I got A* for Mathematics (including both AS and A2 modules) B for physics and a B for Chemistry. I think it's worth mentioning that I usually would achieve very high As for my physics but for some reasons I messed up with my final tests. So Im pretty confident that I can get an A for A2 physics. My UMS is around 84% and my predicted grades for Maths Further Maths Additional Maths Physics and Chemistry are A* A* A A B.
So thats the basic information about me. I want to do Mathematics in the university and I'm going to apply for ICL, UCL and warwick. Does anybody have any recommendations of what should I choose for the other two universities?(including a back up one) Also, I want to know that if I want to apply to oxbridge, will I be qualified to get into the interview? Im not putting any weight on getting into oxbridge but I just want to try.
Another question: Will I get into the interview of ICL with my current grades? And how's the chance of me getting into ICL,UCL AND warwick? I know they are all top universities and have high standard of entries but I will definitely work hard in A2 and hopefully will achieve better grades.
I'm confused and unsure about a lot of things and I will be very grateful if anybody can help me with those questions. I apologize if my English is not that good and confuse you.
Original post by eeelaineshi
Hi everybody, I'm an international student from China and I'm currently studying A level courses in uk. I have been working on my ps these days and now Im hesitating about which university to apply to.
Im doing double Maths, physics and chemistry. I got A* for Mathematics (including both AS and A2 modules) B for physics and a B for Chemistry. I think it's worth mentioning that I usually would achieve very high As for my physics but for some reasons I messed up with my final tests. So Im pretty confident that I can get an A for A2 physics. My UMS is around 84% and my predicted grades for Maths Further Maths Additional Maths Physics and Chemistry are A* A* A A B.
So thats the basic information about me. I want to do Mathematics in the university and I'm going to apply for ICL, UCL and warwick. Does anybody have any recommendations of what should I choose for the other two universities?(including a back up one) Also, I want to know that if I want to apply to oxbridge, will I be qualified to get into the interview? Im not putting any weight on getting into oxbridge but I just want to try.
Another question: Will I get into the interview of ICL with my current grades? And how's the chance of me getting into ICL,UCL AND warwick? I know they are all top universities and have high standard of entries but I will definitely work hard in A2 and hopefully will achieve better grades.
I'm confused and unsure about a lot of things and I will be very grateful if anybody can help me with those questions. I apologize if my English is not that good and confuse you.

With those grades I'd definitely consider applying to Oxford if I were you, Cambridge tends to focus more on UMS. Your personal statement will probably get you into an interview if you can write a brilliant one. The application date for Oxbridge is approaching pretty quickly though so you'd have to decide soon.

As for your other choices, this website will let you search for universities by subject and predicted grade: http://university.which.co.uk/courses
You could also consider looking at league tables although I wouldn't place too much weight on this as it's not necessarily true that universities that are high on the league tables are the perfect ones for you. I wouldn't consider any lower than Russell Group for your other two choices though (Personally I thought Cardiff was lovely but I went to look for a completely different subject.)

Hope this helps! :h:

(PS. For someone whose first language isn't English, your question was very easy to understand so I wouldn't worry about that at all! I know I can't speak or write another language that well!)

Quick Reply

Latest