The Student Room Group

applying to uni with a HNC

Hi, ive been really unsure with the whole applying to uni process as im unsure where to apply and what course to apply for, at the moment im planning on taking a gap year but my advanced higher didn't go too well so im thinking i might need to go college and do a HNC, if i had to pick a course to study im thinking something like psychology, philosophy or maths at uni but i don't think i have the grades to apply to my top choices which are Glasgow, Edinbrugh, Manchester and Kings, so for my higher i got ABCCC (A in maths, B in history, Cs in bio, chem and english) and for s6 i took advanced higher maths, advanced higher chem and higher psychology, for them im predicting ABC or ABD, could i apply to a good uni with these grades or should i take a HNC or i could just take the gap year? and are these unis possible to apply to with a HNC? thanks
Original post by shrubbyrelic67
Hi, ive been really unsure with the whole applying to uni process as im unsure where to apply and what course to apply for, at the moment im planning on taking a gap year but my advanced higher didn't go too well so im thinking i might need to go college and do a HNC, if i had to pick a course to study im thinking something like psychology, philosophy or maths at uni but i don't think i have the grades to apply to my top choices which are Glasgow, Edinbrugh, Manchester and Kings, so for my higher i got ABCCC (A in maths, B in history, Cs in bio, chem and english) and for s6 i took advanced higher maths, advanced higher chem and higher psychology, for them im predicting ABC or ABD, could i apply to a good uni with these grades or should i take a HNC or i could just take the gap year? and are these unis possible to apply to with a HNC? thanks

Hey!

It would be worth touching base with the admissions teams of all of your preferred universities as each of them may have slightly different requirements. As an HNC does not have any UCAS points, as it is university level, you could possibly apply directly into the second year of a course but most universities would like to see specific modules taken in the HNC to allow someone straight into a second year.

This really is on a university by university basis and even a course by course basis at each university!

One option you could look at instead of a HNC is a foundation year at a university which will normally lead directly into your chosen course, but again, each university is different.
Scottish universities absolutely take HNCs into consideration. I received a conditional offer for Yr 1 entry at Uni of Glasgow years ago based on HNC Applied Science and 1 relevant Higher (I can't remember the grade requirements, unfortunately). All other Scottish unis I've applied to (9 total) were happy with just the HNC/D and offered direct entry to second or third year.

Look at admissions pages for courses. Usually HNC/D will be listed. If not contact the relevant admissions team by email and someone will be able to let you know.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Hi, is it possible for me to apply to one of the gateway courses for example st andrews offer? i don't live in a deprived area or anything though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending