The Student Room Group

Possibility of Modern Languages having dropped german

I've recently decided to decline my offers and take a gap year, with a view to changing the course I apply for next year. I had applied for Politics with French but decided that im not particularly interested in the Politics part of the course. My real interest is languages. However, one blemish on my record appears to be that at the end of my AS year, I dropped German. The reason for this isn't anything to do with languages (to do with below par teaching and a general boredom with the subject after so many years of learning it) but I'm scared that it may be a detriment to my application. Would this be the case? I don't plan on studying French and German, rather French and Russian or French and Arabic, but would the fact that I've dropped a language be that big a detriment?

I'm planning on applying to Oxbridge and Russel group. thanks!
Reply 1
Assuming you've got French to A2, I can't see why it'd be a huge problem, because it still has evidence you have a foreign language to a high level, and so have the capability to learn a new language
Reply 2
Having A Level French and AS Level German is better than just A Level French when applying for languages, dont worry! If they ask you in your interview just say that you would have liked to continue with it but were unable due to timetable constrictions or something along those lines (whilst I empathise with having a crap teacher, and I REALLY do, you probably shouldn´t go mentioning that in an inteview or on your application).
What did you get in German by the way?
paddy
Having A Level French and AS Level German is better than just A Level French when applying for languages, dont worry! If they ask you in your interview just say that you would have liked to continue with it but were unable due to timetable constrictions or something along those lines (whilst I empathise with having a crap teacher, and I REALLY do, you probably shouldn´t go mentioning that in an inteview or on your application).

:ditto: You're not applying for German and being at a reasonably high level in 2 languages is more impressive than just 1, so it shouldn't be a problem, but although it's not usually advisable to lie in an interview, it won't sound good to say you dropped it because of bad teaching. They'd either think you were just making excuses or think you would have done the extra work outside of lessons to compensate if you were really dedicated.
Reply 4
paddy

Thanks for the answers everyone!

I got a B, (AAC in the modules, C in the oral module which was conducted and taught by the terrible teacher that I would have had for A2)

Latest

Trending

Trending