The Student Room Group

Chemistry questions

Need help with 9 image.jpg
So find the moles of HCl using the equation moles = concentration x volume (make sure this is in dm^3)

Using stoichiometry, you know the number of moles of carbon dioxide you have. This is a weird question as, surely, the carbon dioxide should be volume, rather than mass given it is usually a gas?

If mass then use this equation: moles = mass/Mr and rearrange

If volume then use this equation: volume = moles x 24dm^3 and rearrange again :smile:. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by AB12345678
So find the moles of HCl using the equation moles = concentration x volume (make sure this is in dm^3)

Using stoichiometry, you know the number of moles of carbon dioxide you have. This is a weird question as, surely, the carbon dioxide should be volume, rather than mass given it is usually a gas?

If mass then use this equation: moles = mass/Mr and rearrange

If volume then use this equation: volume = moles x 24dm^3 and rearrange again :smile:. Hope this helps!

What is stoichiometry? i have 1 mole of co2.
Mr of co2 is 44
the moles of hcl is 3.4*10^-4 *multiplied by 2 couse of molar ratio. so it is 6.8x10^-4. then what do you do? 6.8x10^-4 x 44?
Reply 3
change 10cm3 into dm3. Do calculation conc * volume = number of moles.

You have 2 moles of HCL for each mole of CO2, so divide number of moles by 2 to get number of moles of CO2.

Use number of moles * molar mass to get the mass of co2 :smile:
Oh sorry, stoichiometry is the ratio of molar quantities - so you gave 2:1 of HCl : CO2 using the numbers in front of them in the equation.

You have the moles of HCl, divide them by 2 to get 1 as you want to compare in a 1:1 ratio. Plug this value into the moles = mass/44 so mass = moles x 44.

Any better?
Reply 5
Original post by AB12345678
Oh sorry, stoichiometry is the ratio of molar quantities - so you gave 2:1 of HCl : CO2 using the numbers in front of them in the equation.

You have the moles of HCl, divide them by 2 to get 1 as you want to compare in a 1:1 ratio. Plug this value into the moles = mass/44 so mass = moles x 44.

Any better?

ye ye i need to divide instead of multiply thats where i went wrong! oh!
Original post by Bence9912
ye ye i need to divide instead of multiply thats where i went wrong! oh!

Great! Glad I could help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Rabadon
change 10cm3 into dm3. Do calculation conc * volume = number of moles.

You have 2 moles of HCL for each mole of CO2, so divide number of moles by 2 to get number of moles of CO2.

Use number of moles * molar mass to get the mass of co2 :smile:

hey sorry to bother but could you help me with this question
Reply 8
Original post by Bence9912
hey sorry to bother but could you help me with this question

which one lol
Reply 9
Original post by Rabadon
which one lol

question 7
Reply 10
Original post by Rabadon