The Student Room Group

Is it worth me applying to LSE for a second masters? help!

This is fairly long, bear with me.

I'm 25. I have a 2:2 in a BA(Hons) in Geography, and an MA with Merit in Development and Human Rights from Goldsmiths, University of London. I graduated from my masters a few months back and am now currently doing an internship with Save the Children in Bangladesh. I did a prior placement while doing my masters with this British Chinese organisation that involved handling census data and report writing etc, it wasn't a big deal. Other than that I have no other work experience apart from retail jobs over the years.

At Save the Children I am working in the humanitarian sector and it involves projects to do with climate change education, theres fieldwork too which is great. I was hoping to be placed in human rights or policy etc, but at least I get to put my geography degree to use. Let's just say climate change is not a topic I REALLY enjoy working with. And I've realised this more since working here. My masters was anthropology based and that's what I'd rather be immersed in - sociology, gender and cultural studies etc. Social science and humanities is where my heart lies rather than environmental science.

Having said that, I've also realised that not having a background in law is a problem if I want to work in advocacy or policy related sectors of international development. My masters taught me a lot about development and a good understanding of rights too, but since they were studied from an anthropological perspective, I feel like I'm really lacking when it comes to law.

Thus, I've had a think and I'm wondering if I should do a law related degree. Would it help me to enter those jobs roles with more ease? Is it worth it i.e. is it necessary? A lot of the job requirements for these roles I'm talking of require a law-ish background.

But here's the main question (finally). I don't want to go through another 3 years studying BA Law, so I think a masters might be appropriate instead. I also thought about doing a phd in anthropology.. but the workload is putting me off, so going in the law direction might be better. I've seen that LSE offers an MSc Law, Anthropology and Society course (which is a perfect combination that includes law theory). However, they're asking for a 2:1 undergrad degree. Since I have a 2:2 but also have a masters with merit (also from the university of london) in a similar degree, is it worth me applying? Or am I held back by my 2:2 grade?

Many thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending