The Student Room Group

Getting a funded PhD with only a Merit in MSc - realistic or not?

Hi there.

I've searched through this forum but also quora, reddit and google aiming to get more information about getting a funded PhD. I am gathering information because I am really interested in continuing further studies at PhD level.

Long story short, I am an international student currently doing my MSc degree in political science at the University of Edinburgh. All of my marks so far (previous semester) are in the 65-69% range, thus according to the rules of the Edinburgh Uni if my marks in the following semester and my dissertation end up too being in that range (which I am sure will be the case), I will be awarded MSc degree with a Merit.

I have substantial work experience (between my undergrad and my masters here in the UK I worked for 5 years), good references and I have a genuine interest in a subfield of political science that I want to do more research in.

However, I am puzzled if not having a distinction but only a merit in my masters will prevent me from obtaining a funded PhD opportunity.

I was thinking of universities such as Edinburgh Uni, LSE, Manchester, Glasgow, Sussex, etc?

Do you think it is worth even trying to think about getting a funded PhD all things considered, or am I being detached from reality? :biggrin:

Thanks a lot!
Original post by daxi900
Hi there.

I've searched through this forum but also quora, reddit and google aiming to get more information about getting a funded PhD. I am gathering information because I am really interested in continuing further studies at PhD level.

Long story short, I am an international student currently doing my MSc degree in political science at the University of Edinburgh. All of my marks so far (previous semester) are in the 65-69% range, thus according to the rules of the Edinburgh Uni if my marks in the following semester and my dissertation end up too being in that range (which I am sure will be the case), I will be awarded MSc degree with a Merit.

I have substantial work experience (between my undergrad and my masters here in the UK I worked for 5 years), good references and I have a genuine interest in a subfield of political science that I want to do more research in.

However, I am puzzled if not having a distinction but only a merit in my masters will prevent me from obtaining a funded PhD opportunity.

I was thinking of universities such as Edinburgh Uni, LSE, Manchester, Glasgow, Sussex, etc?

Do you think it is worth even trying to think about getting a funded PhD all things considered, or am I being detached from reality? :biggrin:

Thanks a lot!

I know of a few post-docs who had a merit at MSc level, as well as a first at undergrad. I don't know what your full situation is, but your international status may be more of a barrier to funding if I'm honest - a lot of research councils only fund UK home students or EU students, although some universities/organisations may directly fund PhDs.
Reply 2
I've been wondering the same thing! Did you apply? How did this turn out?
I got a Merit for my masters degree and doing a PhD fully funded in biology. Humanities might be different but funding looks at a lot more then grades. I had experience not related to my degrees which I think helped. There is no harm in asking potential supervisors and even trying the year after as generally I've noticed most people only get in on their second year of applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending