The Student Room Group
University of York
York

How good is York for IB?

A bit of context first;

I've been rejected by Oxford, LSE, UCL, and King's, leaving my insurance choice, York, for Economics. I was rejected due to the "high competition", but LSE said it was my personal statement, which makes me feel horrible considering teachers and friends alike said it was of Oxbridge quality. I feel bad, but I'm trying to be objective about it

Essentially, I'd like to move into Investment Banking after university, and I've heard that York is a fairly good low-medium semi target for large firms.

That said, I'm conflicted on whether to take a gap year and reapply the the aforementioned universities, or go to York and try my luck at internships, and if that fails then go on to do a Masters at Oxford/LBS/LSE/Cambridge. I don't know whether a gap year or a masters is my best option now, as either way it will take 4 years.

I'm terribly sorry if this post is not relevant, but I'd rather decide now than wait too late. York does look alright, it has a collegiate system which is really cool, and my favourite economist, Daron Acemoglu, studied here.
I’m going through the same thing as well, you’re not alone. I had offers from St Andrews and Durham last year but decided to take a gap year and apply to more London unis (LSE, imperial and UCL). Still waiting on LSE but I have received 4 rejections so I am considering York as an extra. St Andrews and Durham aren’t options anymore because my offers couldn’t be deferred. It’s the way of things. But don’t loose hope! The york course for economics looks really appealing and it says on the website that graduate careers includes ib. For ib in particular, I think that work ethic (e.g getting a first), networking and getting internships is more important than where you studied.
(edited 1 year ago)
University of York
York
Original post by Hensin
A bit of context first;

I've been rejected by Oxford, LSE, UCL, and King's, leaving my insurance choice, York, for Economics. I was rejected due to the "high competition", but LSE said it was my personal statement, which makes me feel horrible considering teachers and friends alike said it was of Oxbridge quality. I feel bad, but I'm trying to be objective about it

Essentially, I'd like to move into Investment Banking after university, and I've heard that York is a fairly good low-medium semi target for large firms.

That said, I'm conflicted on whether to take a gap year and reapply the the aforementioned universities, or go to York and try my luck at internships, and if that fails then go on to do a Masters at Oxford/LBS/LSE/Cambridge. I don't know whether a gap year or a masters is my best option now, as either way it will take 4 years.

I'm terribly sorry if this post is not relevant, but I'd rather decide now than wait too late. York does look alright, it has a collegiate system which is really cool, and my favourite economist, Daron Acemoglu, studied here.

Hi there,

It sounds like you're in quite a stressful situation - I'm really sorry about that.

To find out more about the career options that an Economics Degree from the University of York could lead you to, I'd recommend contacting the Department of Economics and Related studies. Here is are their contact details:

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0) 1904 323784

I graduated from York last year, and although I didn't study economics, I can attest that York is an incredibly lovely place to live - we're regularly voted as one of the best places to live in the UK - and that the University is a great place to study. I loved my time at York, I found there was plenty to do in the city, but it isn't too large, so I never felt overwhelmed. I enjoyed the parkland campus and the community that the colleges provided within the University. If you have any specific questions about life at York, please drop them in this thread and one of our Student Room representatives will get back to you.

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:
As someone who went to York and has now managed to secure a grad position in IB I'd say its definitely possible! I will say there are a number of things you can do to absolutely maximise your chances - ie getting a first and securing internships in relevant industries. Also, you could always go to Oxbridge/LSE at masters level where its not as competitive at undergrad. This is the route I took before beginning to apply to the banks. Personally, I wouldn't waste a year waiting for the chance to reapply when you could begin your efforts now to get into the industry.
Reply 4
York is pretty much a semi target university and great Russell group university. I have relatives studied there working in private equity and know people from York who made it to Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citi, Deutsche Bank and various hedge funds from both STEM courses at York as well at economics.

As long as you get a first you will be in same academic standing as competition from Oxbridge with high 2.1. Which is good enough. To compete with a first (cherry on top) from say Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial (Ivy league schools that will also be possibly applying for some roles in the London, then you should be aiming for a high first (high 70's boarding into 80's %).

Good extra curricular - whatever sports you like and to network with friends - tennis teams, golf, etc Investment society.

Start a trading account so your familiar with equities and funds - valuation methods. Reading FT and Wall street Journal etc. Trading and investing will be something you should be doing all your life so no better time to start compounding to financial independence.

Do something different in first summer like volunteering overseas in China (East Asia will be the future wealth management with probably more billionaires coming from that region). Second summer try and secure a god internship with area you want to work in - bond trading, investment management, derivatives, etc Your target is front office but you need a plan for you career. Ie build career in that area or look for exit option after 2 years or so (investment banking gives great exit options).

At York complete the IMC - Investment Management certificate (not too difficult and just regulation exam by FSA, between A level and first year of university in difficult) but will set you apart from others.

At York do the LFA programme - you can take a language over the 3 years of your degree outside of the degree programme. Taking something like Mandarin Chinese while also practising online with native speakers would be a great CV booster and give a solid foundation to build on for later in life making it a second or third language.

You do not need to do a Masters but doing so may mean avoiding going to do an MBA few years down the line as you progress with your career instead of taking a break. It may also help with career progression so getting undergrad and postgrad consecutively without a break, can be beneficial. So you may just jump to an associate exit role in some hedge fund or private equity firm as exit option after few years and having that masters may just help with competition at that stage. MBA from say LBS or good US school like MIT, Wharton etc used to be traditional route but is not as popular as it used to be - ROI is not always great or needed if your career is already going well.

Anyway, that is my suggesstion and hope it helps.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending