The Student Room Group

Oxford A101 Graduate Medicine 2016

We're only days away from the application deadline and the BMAT is looming.

How you all feeling? Got my application confirmation from Green Templeton yesterday, starting to feel very real! Eeek.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I haven't submitted my application to oxford yet. Was just wondering whether people are making their personal statement, that is sent directly to oxford, substantially different to their UCAS personal statement?

Reply 2
Original post by ruth_glasgow
Hi, I haven't submitted my application to oxford yet. Was just wondering whether people are making their personal statement, that is sent directly to oxford, substantially different to their UCAS personal statement?

I as literally just talking to someone about that! I kept mine the same but put an extra paragraph at the end explaining why I want to go to oxford over other medical schools. Not sure if that's what they want but it's too late for me no :smile:
Original post by neuronerd
I as literally just talking to someone about that! I kept mine the same but put an extra paragraph at the end explaining why I want to go to oxford over other medical schools. Not sure if that's what they want but it's too late for me no :smile:

Ah thanks for your help! I feel I will go with a similar approach. I'm also panicking about the BMAT. I have only just decided to sit it (registered on the deadline) and so have yet to start preparation. How much prep are you planning to do? I will have ~3 weeks and so am praying that will be enough!
Reply 4
Ah thanks for your help! I feel I will go with a similar approach. I'm also panicking about the BMAT. I have only just decided to sit it (registered on the deadline) and so have yet to start preparation. How much prep are you planning to do? I will have ~3 weeks and so am praying that will be enough!

I got as far as flicking through the bio section of assumed knowledge, I'm such a procrastinator!
I got as far as flicking through the bio section of assumed knowledge, I'm such a procrastinator!

Haha I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm hoping biology won't need much work (I study Genetics) but will definitely need to top up physics, maths and chem!
Reply 6
Haha I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm hoping biology won't need much work (I study Genetics) but will definitely need to top up physics, maths and chem!

Biois no probs (medical science grad) and chemistry meh I did a lot for the gamsat. The maths arrrrgh. Triangles? ****. what are those again? (gcses were 14 years ago...)
Biois no probs (medical science grad) and chemistry meh I did a lot for the gamsat. The maths arrrrgh. Triangles? ****. what are those again? (gcses were 14 years ago...)

I just saw a post you made on the general GEM thread regarding oxford references... You said you need two academic and one work exp/volunteering reference. I interpreted it as three academic and so my references are all from staff at my university, do you think I need a work experience based reference?
Reply 8
I just saw a post you made on the general GEM thread regarding oxford references... You said you need two academic and one work exp/volunteering reference. I interpreted it as three academic and so my references are all from staff at my university, do you think I need a work experience based reference?

no that works too, its just that at least 2 must be academic (The girl in question only had 1)

How did you fit it all on one page?! Im gonna have to widen my margins and decrease my font size but that should be okay right?
Reply 10
Does anyone have any idea on what kind of BMAT scores are good enough for an interview?

I've looked through the admission statistics available but they are only for the A100 course. If anyone is interested, the A100 stastistics they can be found here
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

It says that the mean BMAT score for A100 interview is 64%- does anyone know how they convert the BMAT score into a percentage?
Reply 11
It shows you on the website. It involves a bunch of calculations. I'm not sure how relevent it is to the graduate course as there is annoyingly no application statistics and many more factors than just gcses and bmat score.

Original post by Ronron12
Does anyone have any idea on what kind of BMAT scores are good enough for an interview?

I've looked through the admission statistics available but they are only for the A100 course. If anyone is interested, the A100 stastistics they can be found here
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

It says that the mean BMAT score for A100 interview is 64%- does anyone know how they convert the BMAT score into a percentage?
no clue. im wondering if it is similar? it has to be since it is the same tutors and similar things they are looking for....
Reply 13
Original post by Catherine1193
no clue. im wondering if it is similar? it has to be since it is the same tutors and similar things they are looking for....

They are looking for similar traits but I'm assuming that, on average, graduates have a significantly higher BMAT score than undergrads? And also I think a lower proportion of grad applicants are selected for interview, which would also indicate BMAT scores would need to be higher for A101 than for A100
Reply 14
Original post by Ronron12
They are looking for similar traits but I'm assuming that, on average, graduates have a significantly higher BMAT score than undergrads? And also I think a lower proportion of grad applicants are selected for interview, which would also indicate BMAT scores would need to be higher for A101 than for A100

I disagree. It is well known that oxford generally takes a massive proportion of people with post-grad research degrees, and considers applicants who have poor grades that improve steeply over their academic life. I think it is a much wider range of things they look for.

Undergrads are only looked at on the percentage of A* at GCSE and BMAT score. So I would assume that their BMAT would be higher as it makes a larger part of the application for them.
Reply 15
I'm hoping I'm not judged on my % A* GCSEs. It seems ridiculous to do so nearly 10 years after I completed them!

Though I'm yet to know my BMAT score so that could be terrible too...
Reply 16
They only do that for the undergrad 5 year course. Mine are terrible (in my defence it was 14 years ago)!

Original post by hdexy6
I'm hoping I'm not judged on my % A* GCSEs. It seems ridiculous to do so nearly 10 years after I completed them!

Though I'm yet to know my BMAT score so that could be terrible too...
I think I completely messed up the bmat on the day so I'm hoping they look beyond that and see my potential in other places. I'm starting to get paranoid now as so many people have started hearing back from their choices! What other unis have you all applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I've applied to Liverpool, Notts, and Swansea. Scored a massive 72 in the GAMSAT so pretty much guarenteed interviews at Swansea and Notts. Would love to go back to Ox though (did my research masters there).

You?
Reply 19
Oxford, Camb, Warwick and Southampton.

I did my degree in Chemistry so I was limited in choice (and lack of willingness to do GAMSAT)

Hopefully hear back soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending