The Student Room Group

Dropping out of KCL to do something else in another uni?

So I'm currently doing History at KCL - I underperformed in my A levels (got ABB) yet still got accepted. I really dislike History and so I've been thinking about changing courses but due to my grades, there's nothing I can really change to within KCL. Would I be an idiot to drop out and reapply with my grades to a uni like Leicester to do a Maths/Computer Science degree w/ a Foundation year?
Original post by orphan_black
So I'm currently doing History at KCL - I underperformed in my A levels (got ABB) yet still got accepted. I really dislike History and so I've been thinking about changing courses but due to my grades, there's nothing I can really change to within KCL. Would I be an idiot to drop out and reapply with my grades to a uni like Leicester to do a Maths/Computer Science degree w/ a Foundation year?

I suggest you do research any courses you're thinking of applying to -- the last thing you want is to drop out of King's and find yourself lost and directionless. If you really dislike History to the point that you don't think you can do well in it, then I'd say dropping out is the best option, presuming you've got another course that you're eligible for lined up.
How long have you been at King's?
Original post by travelfiend
How long have you been at King's?

Started on the 21st - only decided to do History in hopes of becoming a solicitor
Original post by Hydeman
I suggest you do research any courses you're thinking of applying to -- the last thing you want is to drop out of King's and find yourself lost and directionless. If you really dislike History to the point that you don't think you can do well in it, then I'd say dropping out is the best option, presuming you've got another course that you're eligible for lined up.

Yeah I've been emailing the universities I'm thinking of. The ideal scenario would be to apply whilst still at King's but I'm almost sure that that's not doable.
Yeah I've been emailing the universities I'm thinking of. The ideal scenario would be to apply whilst still at King's but I'm almost sure that that's not doable.

It depends on the university. Some universities aren't too happy to see that happen, especially since you're barely a month into your degree -- actively looking to drop out this soon is not a good sign to a lot of admissions tutors that you'd be likely to stay put if they let you in.
Started on the 21st - only decided to do History in hopes of becoming a solicitor

Seeing as you've been there less than a month, I would give yourself more time before considering dropping out. Wait at least a term and if you still really hate it, then look at your options. As Hydeman says, it would also be best to only leave if you have something else lined up.
Original post by Hydeman
It depends on the university. Some universities aren't too happy to see that happen, especially since you're barely a month into your degree -- actively looking to drop out this soon is not a good sign to a lot of admissions tutors that you'd be likely to stay put if they let you in.

Yes, this.
It might be just that particular module that you don't enjoy in your History degree. I certainly would think really, really, REALLY hard before I drop out of King's... Especially if you didn't get the grades but still got in the uni...
Original post by saule1116
It might be just that particular module that you don't enjoy in your History degree. I certainly would think really, really, REALLY hard before I drop out of King's... Especially if you didn't get the grades but still got in the uni...

Well I'm doing the three modules I chose and I pretty much dislike all of them but I completely agree with you; the only thing keeping me there is its reputation.
Original post by travelfiend
Seeing as you've been there less than a month, I would give yourself more time before considering dropping out. Wait at least a term and if you still really hate it, then look at your options. As Hydeman says, it would also be best to only leave if you have something else lined up.

Yeah I might do this but thing is, I have zero motivation to do the godawful reading for each seminar/lecture but maybe I should just suck it up and deal with it for now haha!
Original post by Hydeman

Ah I see... :/
I'd say its more important to value what program you'd enjoy and excel at more over how prestigious your university's name is. But, probably best to wait a little bit longer to mull it over properly before you make up your mind since you can't change your decision (unless you're a 100% History won't cut it out for you and also that the other university is taking you in for sure).
Original post by shadyhades
I'd say its more important to value what program you'd enjoy and excel at more over how prestigious your university's name is. But, probably best to wait a little bit longer to mull it over properly before you make up your mind since you can't change your decision (unless you're a 100% History won't cut it out for you and also that the other university is taking you in for sure).

I mean, I'm not 100% sure that History isn't for me - I'm just really struggling with it and it fails to be enjoyable. I see what you mean though, but it just feels awkward to be leaving a university that would have otherwise not taken me in and in the grand scheme of things, the prestigiousness of a university unfortunately (particularly in a career in Law as a solicitor/barrister) seems to be an overriding factor in terms of employment.

I'll wait it out though and see what'll happen. Thanks!
I mean, I'm not 100% sure that History isn't for me - I'm just really struggling with it and it fails to be enjoyable. I see what you mean though, but it just feels awkward to be leaving a university that would have otherwise not taken me in and in the grand scheme of things, the prestigiousness of a university unfortunately (particularly in a career in Law as a solicitor/barrister) seems to be an overriding factor in terms of employment.

I'll wait it out though and see what'll happen. Thanks!

I went to King's and when I first started my degree I found it quite difficult and wondered if I had made the right choice. But 4 years on, I know that I definitely did and am hoping to study for a PhD. So I think waiting a bit longer is a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending