The Student Room Group

Minimalist / barefoot running

Has anybody got extensive experience / knowledge regarding this ?
Nobody at the top level runs barefoot, and they certainly won't run faster barefoot vs in good shoes. Running is high impact as it is - going barefoot is just an unnecessary stress fracture / injury waiting to happen (unless you're already used to running high mileage with good shoes for like 10+ years, but even then...). Humans to some extent have obviously adapted to run barefoot barefoot in the wild, but not concrete/roads. I have heard some recommend doing short strides on grass barefoot, because it teaches good foot landings and quick feet. There's probably some merit to that, though not necessary.

It's silly though. I'm pretty sure it's mostly an idea that stemmed from the "paleo"/keto cross-fit type of people - the same people who don't eat carbs but still resort to carbs in endurance events...
Wouldn't touch Vibrams or anything like that. They're a fad with questionable benefits.
Reply 3
Original post by TooEasy123
Nobody at the top level runs barefoot, and they certainly won't run faster barefoot vs in good shoes. Running is high impact as it is - going barefoot is just an unnecessary stress fracture / injury waiting to happen (unless you're already used to running high mileage with good shoes for like 10+ years, but even then...). Humans to some extent have obviously adapted to run barefoot barefoot in the wild, but not concrete/roads. I have heard some recommend doing short strides on grass barefoot, because it teaches good foot landings and quick feet. There's probably some merit to that, though not necessary.

It's silly though. I'm pretty sure it's mostly an idea that stemmed from the "paleo"/keto cross-fit type of people - the same people who don't eat carbs but still resort to carbs in endurance events...

What's your take on minimalist footwear, or even the opposite, pronation corrective footwear?

Quick Reply

Latest