The Student Room Group

No spring week - what to do?

Hi. I am a first-year student doing math and economics at a target school (Warwick) and would like to get into investment banking. I have received loads of rejections, most of them before an actual interview, and it is clear that I will not get a spring job. Is it worth it to plan to do a master programme to essentially allow myself to apply again for spring next year while doing some sort of work in the summer to increase my ances? Or should I go barefoot into applying for summer?
Original post by Sheeps17
Hi. I am a first-year student doing math and economics at a target school (Warwick) and would like to get into investment banking. I have received loads of rejections, most of them before an actual interview, and it is clear that I will not get a spring job. Is it worth it to plan to do a master programme to essentially allow myself to apply again for spring next year while doing some sort of work in the summer to increase my ances? Or should I go barefoot into applying for summer?

It depends on what you want to do. Spring week applications are still open so you do have some time to still find one. Sometimes it is technique, there are packages like Jobtestprep which can help you in the application process. Furthermore, there is always a chance of getting a summer internship next year. It really depends because if you do decide to do a 4 year course and you apply for spring weeks again and fail to get one you would be in the same position. It is a difficult situation because on the other hand you may get a spring week if you did reapply. There are always summer internships but I do understand banking is a harder sector to get into.
I suggest you go straight for summers. Spring weeks processes are quite random and there aren’t that many spots. I know plenty of people who didn’t get a spring week and then got 2-3 summer internship offers the following year. Just make sure you do something productive this summer that you can talk about in your applications.
Original post by breakintoib1
I suggest you go straight for summers. Spring weeks processes are quite random and there aren’t that many spots. I know plenty of people who didn’t get a spring week and then got 2-3 summer internship offers the following year. Just make sure you do something productive this summer that you can talk about in your applications.

What productive things can you do over summer other than a summer internship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending