The Student Room Group

Help: Re-dying already dyed hair??

Hi
So I dyed the ends of my hair a couple weeks back from a natural (virgin) soft black to a very dark brown (barely noticeably different :/). I was going for a balayage/ombre; dark roots with brown/ dark caramel ends and I don't really want to go to a hairdresser's to get it done

Anyway, I was wondering if I could just redye my hair with a lighter dye or would i have to strip the colour first??

Has anyone ever redyed already dyed hair? I just don't want it to go horribly wrong and be walking around with neon orange hair :'/

(Also, the colour I dyed it is slightly lighter than my natural colour it's just not that noticeable)
Original post by Little_bird
Hi
So I dyed the ends of my hair a couple weeks back from a natural (virgin) soft black to a very dark brown (barely noticeably different :/). I was going for a balayage/ombre; dark roots with brown/ dark caramel ends and I don't really want to go to a hairdresser's to get it done

Anyway, I was wondering if I could just redye my hair with a lighter dye or would i have to strip the colour first??

Has anyone ever redyed already dyed hair? I just don't want it to go horribly wrong and be walking around with neon orange hair :'/

(Also, the colour I dyed it is slightly lighter than my natural colour it's just not that noticeable)

I would strip it as colour on colour have never worked out the way I wanted for me. I naturally have very dark hair and in the end I bleached it as i ve never been able to get it lighter than medium brown without it.
Original post by Little_bird
Hi

You can't dye over a dark colour with a light colour without first stripping the colour from your hair first. You can however dye over a light colour with a dark colour quite easily, and in that case it wouldn't matter if the previous colour was dyed or not.

If you want your hair to be lighter you're going to have to strip the colour, there are several ways you can do this depending on what result you want. So I recommend you do some research into colour stripping.

Quick Reply

Latest