The Student Room Group

You CAN Do it!!! - Success Story

Note: This story is not bragging or putting other people down or anything like that. Just something to motivate people I hope.

You do not need endless A*'s and A's to get into medicine.

I'm Nick, and I am from Yorkshire. My school was not amazing but not bad either. I was from lower class background but my mum got married and by the time I applied I guess I could be considered middle class.

I am no 'ethnic minority' White British. No disablilites (unless you count colourblindness :P) and nothing else of interest.

In my GCSE's I got 4 A's, 5 B's and 1 D. I got told that I did not have much chance of getting into medicine.

I only did 2 sciences at AS level. Chemistry and Biology. My other 2 were Psychology and Law.

I had a bad first year at college as I did not get on with my psychology teacher & nearly got thrown out of college because of an argument with her. I got banned from the internet from a year at college for 'bringing the college into disrepute'.

I got 3 As and a B in my AS (B in Biology). Good, but not much different from others applying to medicine.

Applied to 3 'Red Bricks' Uni's (Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield) and BSMS.

Got 3 Interviews. Rejected from Sheffield & BSMS. But an offer of AAA at Newcastle which I am well on for now. Still waiting to hear off the Leeds interview.

UKCAT: 727.5 average. But first year? Not gonna make up for lack of A*'s.

Above is my academic qualifications, which is not amazing compared to many applying to medicine. But this does NOT have to hold you back. You can still do it if you mature and stop getting in trouble at college, and get a good personal statement.

Work Exp: Doctor's surgery. Hospital
Voluntary work: Hospice
Work: McDonald's. (Part time work important. Shows you can balance. I get good grades but work over 30 hours a week - McDonalds is great. Lots or little hours. Customer service, communication, teamwork...getting the idea? Management experience coming soon.)
And the rest:Karate, Football website, Deputy Head Boy, Rotary Leadership Course, Baby Brother,
Gap year: Kenya - 2 months working in AIDS orphanage.
Japan - 6 months - Red Cross Hospital.

My PS yanked it back up for me.

So if you don;t have the grades, make sure you get a good PS.

If you have the grades, you STILL NEED A GOOD PS. I've seen so many of my friends who are bright think because they got nearly all A*'s in GCSE's that they will get in and then they get 4 rejections.

You CAN do it :biggrin:

Hope this inspires or gives some insight. Or does some good.
Reply 1
congratulations mate... and good luck with getting the A-level grades!...
Reply 2
nice one...
Reply 3
*wipes a tear away* That was so moving!
Well done mate. Show's it's not always just about the grades.
Reply 5
Again, I'm not showing off or anything like that.

Just trying to motivate people thinking of applying. Do not get lazy. Do every single thing you can. And it's never too late.
Reply 6
Yaaaaay there's hope out there!
Reply 7
hey,

Very well done on your offers, hopefully I will see you at newcastle.

yeah same with me mate,

I got 2 a*s,4as,b,c at gcse
same grades as u at As level.
I wasn't deputy of anything, I wasn't head boy or anything.

I was just myself and did what I enjoy.

I've had 3 offers for medicine.

It's who you are that matters. If your honest in the interview and show your enthusiasm for medicine then youll easily get in. There much more impressed with honest people than alot of the pompus, fake people who just play the game of getting into medicine.
Reply 8
Thank you for that. I thought I showed my enthusiasm for medicine in my interviews and certainly I was honest, but I didn't get in now, did I.
Nick R

Gap year: Kenya - 2 months working in AIDS orphanage.
Japan - 6 months - Red Cross Hospital.

woah, that absolutely kicks ass. I wish I could have taken a gap year to do stuff like that.

redsox: I thought you still have one place pending? Don't give up! :yy:
wow congratulations dude :biggrin:

seems like there is hope out there after all lol, i was kinda worried about my gcses...

i got 2 A*s 5 As 4 Bs and a C...

I have an A in As maths atm...and i hope i get As in the exams this summer...

hope im as lucky as you =]

and it seems i need lots of work experience....
Waiting list. And everyone's been rejected off it so far and no one accepted! Makes me nervous.
Good luck theredsox, you've been a good stalker - I hope you make it! :smile: x
Reply 13
Good luck indeed. It aint over till the fat lady sings!

OP, well done!
And really, its true. There just always seems to be too much of an emphasis on grades. But if other parts of your application are good enough to balance an underachievement then there really is no reason (well, save extremely bad luck!) why you dont stand just as much chance of getting in as someone else.
I was really scared when applying, I had only 4 As and 2Bs at GCSE. I got all four interviews.
What I'm trying to say is, dont be disheartened. Try your best, give it a shot, and hope for the best!:smile:
wow ~ that is so damn* inspirational!! Well done you :smile: ~~
another thing or advice to others is don't let anyone get in your way, or bring you down ~ you are only competing with yourself and only yourself know what you are capable of!! Believe in yourself and everything will turn out okay =)
Sorry for the personal q here, but I'm also applying for a 6 month gap placement in japan in a red cross hospital (you did it with project GAP I assume?), I was wondering how you funded it or did you have good background circumstances?
Reply 16
I work 30-40 hours a week. I did a barefoot 14-mile walk. I am currently doing a stand-a-thon (see link in my signiture) and saving every penny I can.

And I've still not funded half of it. Just keep going and going.
Reply 17
Update: Offer from Leeds today. AAB

Latest

Trending

Trending