The Student Room Group

GCSE Requirements for Oxbridge Languages

Hello,
I am currently studying French, German, History and Maths A levels, with a view to doing French and German at Oxford or Cambridge (Cambridge is probably my preference). In my GCSEs I got 9 A*s, but got an A in history and more importantly a B in English Literature. Is this likely to hold me back in any way? I do love reading and think I just messed up one of the exams on the day. Any info would be a great help, Thanks.
Original post by arthurraffle98
Hello,
I am currently studying French, German, History and Maths A levels, with a view to doing French and German at Oxford or Cambridge (Cambridge is probably my preference). In my GCSEs I got 9 A*s, but got an A in history and more importantly a B in English Literature. Is this likely to hold me back in any way? I do love reading and think I just messed up one of the exams on the day. Any info would be a great help, Thanks.

No. The average is 7 A*s I believe. You have 9.

Moreover, Cambridge will care more about A-Level grades and your UMS points. Oxford will put more weight on GCSEs but yours are fine for them.
OK Thanks, I was just wondering whether English Literature might be considered an important GCSE to do well in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending