The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mphil Real Estate Finance 2016/17

Hey guys, open a new thread for Cam Mphil REF 2017.
Any discussion or updates welcomed.
Any news yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bowyeee
Hey guys, open a new thread for Cam Mphil REF 2017.
Any discussion or updates welcomed.
Any news yet?

Im not sure if i should apply this year or next. Funding is main concern though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by souman
Im not sure if i should apply this year or next. Funding is main concern though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

check if the funding is available...it is indeed a big cost to study in cam :frown:
Reply 3
Hi guys, I am looking to apply for REF in Cambridge this year too. Not sure if I have a shot... here is my profile:

Top 10 UK university, top 4 UK Business School, obtain high 2:1 so far, major in project management. Had one year placement work experience with an high profile IT company also did some summer internships in acf and project management area, but not in the industry of real estate, I had GMAT score of 690.

I am writing the personal statement now and find it's really struggle as I don't have much academic/professional link to the course.

Not sure if I got a chance... would you guys mind share your profile?
Reply 4
Hey guys, I'm trying to join Mphil Real Estate Finance 2016/2017 too. Lets work hard together =) Not sure of my chances though =(. Quite nervous. Got accepted into Uni of Reading Msc Real estate for now.

Status of application "Under consideration of department"
Been like that for the past week.

Any of you got to Bogs yet?
Reply 5
Hey guys. Just finishing up my letter of interest for my application to the program. Really hoping to be there for in September. Any advice for the letter?
Reply 6
Hey guys,

I'm considering applying for this course, with a rationale to estabish a career in real estate and finance in general.
the course outline suggests applicants from a wide range of backgrounds "The course takes students from a wide variety of backgrounds: finance, geography, economics, law, biology, international business, mathematics. "

However i noticed on TSR that pretty much everyone talking about this course come from economics or related fields. Anyone applying or previously accepted from a different background (e.g. biology as they mentioned)?

My background is MSc Neuroscience (distinction), BSc Psychology (first + top of class). i was wondering if it would be worth applying?
When do offers come out?
According to last year, a lot of offers were made in mid Feb.

My status is still Under consideration by Department. Not a good sign!

Anyone received offer already? Please give a shout.

Or is the whole process being delayed this year? Any idea?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys, any update? Mine is still under consideration of department..
Reply 10
Planning to apply for this course (I know I am a bit late, but the deadline is on the 15th March. My profile:

1st from UCL in Information Management for Business
Internship at a Bank and UOB Asset Management for 4 months (combined)
Currently working in a Bank as a strategic management associate
Family Business in real estate development
Recently combined law and real estate (finance) to secure a property with return of 10% (seldom where I live).
VP of different clubs and societies in university.

Do you think I stand a chance?
No one can tell. If you like the course, then give it a try.

The fact is that it is not easy to get an offer.

Last year, a lot of offers had been made in mid Feb. By now, I am still under consideration by department. It seems that I am not good enough. FYI, I am having a first from red brick as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BKSM
At this time, no. You should apply by Jan for a better chance as most offers are given at this time.
Applying a week before the deadline won't do any good, it just shows how unprepared you are. Late application will jeopardise your opportunity, especially if you get rejected this year, this will consequently affect you future applications.
With your profile, if you continue working at a bank for another year, your application will be much stronger.

Do you know anyone who has received an offer yet?
Original post by BKSM
3 people so far. It has been quiet this year. When did you apply for it?

Last november? Not looking good haha. At least I got LSE...
BKSM, do you know whether the major batch of offers has been released or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by blackboots
Last november? Not looking good haha. At least I got LSE...

Tbh, that is too long. Last year, most people I know got the offer within 3months. I believe your application might be ranked in 2nd/3rd tier which is why you still haven't got the offer. All you can do is hoping others have weaker applications.

If you want quick response, I suggest you email them, sometimes they just forget to update the system. My friend contacted them and his status changed to BoG within a week.

Anyway, well done for LSE. I heard their students are very welcomed in the US. Some people even rejected Cambridge for LSE.
Reply 16
Original post by econstudent28
BKSM, do you know whether the major batch of offers has been released or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Based on last year, most offers were made in Feb/March. However, if you applied after mid Jan, that could be by the end of April.
Thanks BKSM, my last reference was completed in early Feb. In this case, it should be at least April before I can hear anything.

I though I had all information uploaded in early Feb and would be considered at the same time as the others. Then, would able to catch the mid Feb offers. Seems I am completely wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
From what I know, most courses at Cambridge does not give out offers (unless you're really good and stand out), until the deadline has passed. This way, they can assess all applicants. So yea, I think I'm going to send my application as well. I do not mind getting rejected, but it's better than not trying.
Anyone heard anything after deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending