The Student Room Group

Why does it feel so good when someone you dislike fails?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awesome Genius
Very unlikely. For two reasons

1. Medicine is difficult. It is highly competitive. Once you have the tag of "I quit" at any point in your career, that is always going to hinder you. Furthermore, the whole process of trying something and failing is going to hurt your confidence tremendously.

2. I know this girl really well. I spent so much time with her. She's hasn't got the temperament to keep at it and be successful.

1. You do realise you called yourself someone who has low self esteem and no confidence. tsk tsk

2. How do you know her. There could have been another side to her that you never got to see.
Original post by leinad2012
Outpouring of positive messages, haha that's not what I saw, most were about as negative as your relatives are to you :smile:

Thats because you're stupid - go read it again.

6 Gems after nearly 4000 posts is pathetic.
Well yeh. But are you able to read the story I posted? lol

Yeah but you shouldn't wish ill on others,it's not very nice
Original post by aamirac
1. You do realise you called yourself someone who has low self esteem and no confidence. tsk tsk

2. How do you know her. There could have been another side to her that you never got to see.

Well my case is different. I left at the end of the year in a completely planned way. I said I'm going to from this job to my current job. Also I have a first from Oxbridge, that counts for a lot in the job market. I could have easily continued doing medical CT training if I had wanted to. I just want more money. She left because she wasn't good enough or more likely because she probably was feeling lonely living here away from her friends and family with an unsupportive boyfriend.

There is no such thing as 'side you never see' when you spend hours talking to someone lol.
Well my case is different. I left at the end of the year in a completely planned way. I said I'm going to from this job to my current job. Also I have a first from Oxbridge, that counts for a lot in the job market. I could have easily continued doing medical CT training if I had wanted to. I just want more money. She left because she wasn't good enough or more likely because she probably was feeling lonely living here away from her friends and family with an unsupportive boyfriend.

There is no such thing as 'side you never see' when you spend hours talking to someone lol.

Yes because someone leaves years of medicine for nothing. :yy:.

You can talk to someone all day but they'd still surprise you with their actions.

Ouch.
Original post by Emily.97
Ouch.

Original post by leinad2012
Outpouring of positive messages, haha that's not what I saw, most were about as negative as your relatives are to you :smile:

Is that called for?

People who like to make comments like that should be able to take it themselves.
Nah, after 30 there's a sharp decline.

Also, as a guy, I wouldn't go for a girl that was nearly 30 because you know there's only a certain amount of time when she's gonna be good-looking.

I'd disagree but all depends how good looking she was to start with.

You sound a bit bitter tbh. Not good for the awesome genius brand name!! But have to agree her outlook doesn't look too good. Usually the case for many late 20s early 30s career minded women you can't have it all.
Reply 28
Lets just all be kind to one another, and look at the unifying force within us all....sex!
Original post by Bill_Gates
I'd disagree but all depends how good looking she was to start with.

You sound a bit bitter tbh. Not good for the awesome genius brand name!! But have to agree her outlook doesn't look too good. Usually the case for many late 20s early 30s career minded women you can't have it all.

Yeah of course I dislike her now. Anyone would after what she did.

The problem she faces is that she is intelligent and the life she will now lead is one designed for someone who isn't. ie. marry someone, live off their money, pretend you had a career. She will absolutely hate that because she's a smart girl who could have done something in her own right.

I only post on 1 forum on this site pretty much, so once everyone there has repped each other they can't re-rep others until you've repped loads of other people. Nice to see you value your self worth through the number of gems you have on an internet forum though :smile:
Is that called for?

People who like to make comments like that should be able to take it themselves.

rustled
Is that called for?

K.
Yeah of course I dislike her now. Anyone would after what she did.

The problem she faces is that she is intelligent and the life she will now lead is one designed for someone who isn't. ie. marry someone, live off their money, pretend you had a career. She will absolutely hate that because she's a smart girl who could have done something in her own right.

All depends how rich the guy is. Many intelligent women settle to become house wives. You just need to go New York lol. £££££££££

I know an awful lot tbh. They just take on "light" roles such as part time directors or consultants and live off their husbands money.

But fact is there are many more good looking women around and only a tiny minority of wealthy men. So they can shop around.
All depends how rich the guy is. Many intelligent women settle to become house wives. You just need to go New York lol. £££££££££

I know an awful lot tbh. They just take on "light" roles such as part time directors or consultants and live off their husbands money.

But fact is there are many more good looking women around and only a tiny minority of wealthy men. So they can shop around.

She's not good-looking enough to get a REALLY rich guy.

Also, people can delude themselves all they want, true happiness only comes about when you've done something yourself. I can tell you, all of my possessions, they don't bring me any happiness for longer than a week or so. My degree and all that I worked for, that has lasted and helps me each and every day - it defines me.
She's not good-looking enough to get a REALLY rich guy.

Also, people can delude themselves all they want, true happiness only comes about when you've done something yourself. I can tell you, all of my possessions, they don't bring me any happiness for longer than a week or so. My degree and all that I worked for, that has lasted and helps me each and every day - it defines me.

Thats what i was thinking lol

Depends what you want in life. For some financial freedom is enough and they go after hobbies they enjoy which give them more than enough pleasure.

I know some multi-multi millionaires who would happily break someone's arm for the next 1 million. They get excitement from the "deal" rather than the possessions. They don't tend to be happy either.
Thats what i was thinking lol

Depends what you want in life. For some financial freedom is enough and they go after hobbies they enjoy which give them more than enough pleasure.

I know some multi-multi millionaires who would happily break someone's arm for the next 1 million. They get excitement from the "deal" rather than the possessions. They don't tend to be happy either.

Well achieving anything difficult brings happiness.

The thought experiment I do this one:

Say some ****** on an internet forum (or anywhere else!) says

Bill Gates you're nobody. You are pointless.

What do you think about that allows you to instantly reject that statement?
Well achieving anything difficult brings happiness.

The thought experiment I do this one:

Say some ****** on an internet forum (or anywhere else!) says

Bill Gates you're nobody. You are pointless.

What do you think about that allows you to instantly reject that statement?

Heres how i play the game. Even if i've had a really good week/month/year or whatever. Or even if i'm already more "successful" than the other person.

I don't show it. I just live my normal life. Normal car, normal clothes, normal pretty much everything.

I'm not a big fan of bragging (minus TSR just for the bants). Once you figure out how the world really works you find this is a plausible way to live your life.

As you can't always be number 1 the world is not set up that way. I think a lot of people are sad and depressed through anxiety.

So how would i react? ignore that person and cut them out of my life.
Heres how i play the game. Even if i've had a really good week/month/year or whatever. Or even if i'm already more "successful" than the other person.

I don't show it. I just live my normal life. Normal car, normal clothes, normal pretty much everything.

I'm not a big fan of bragging (minus TSR just for the bants). Once you figure out how the world really works you find this is a plausible way to live your life.

As you can't always be number 1 the world is not set up that way. I think a lot of people are sad and depressed through anxiety.

So how would i react? ignore that person and cut them out of my life.

But what tangible achievements do you think about?

Im sure you have them.

The problem with being a rich dependent is that you don't have any.

ahem...
Original post by MJlover
ahem...

OK there is a big caveat to all this

You joined in 2009.

neg rep used to exist

and

after about mid-2015 they removed the rules about repping people on a wim - unlimited repping. That has basically meant insane amounts of rep for everyone. There are people, new users, on 9 gems that would have never got close had those rules not come into play.

i didn't want to say this because it takes away from my argument re: that other user lol

But i do accept rep is now meaningless.

Quick Reply

Latest