The Student Room Group

What would you do in my position?

Hi,
A few months ago my bf couldn’t lift me and ended up saying there’s skinnier girls… and stronger men… do you find it weird that he had to compare skinnier girls to me especially when he knows I am insecure about this kinda thing and im losing weight anyway so it’s not like im purposely staying this weight and it was from side effect from birth control and I was healthy.
Is it bad of me to still think about it?
Reply 1
I wouldn’t blow this out of proportion if he’s otherwise respectful and you have a good relationship. Maybe talk about how it made you feel
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
I wouldn’t blow this out of proportion if he’s otherwise respectful and you have a good relationship. Maybe talk about how it made you feel

he is lovely at times but he can be rude as well so idk
im also quite sensitive and my mum and sister weren’t happy with the comment either. if I said something like that to him he’d cry. no joke
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
he is lovely at times but he can be rude as well so idk
im also quite sensitive and my mum and sister weren’t happy with the comment either. if I said something like that to him he’d cry. no joke

Tell him to cut it out if he cares about you
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Tell him to cut it out if he cares about you

cut what out sorry? idk if he does properly care about me but ig ill just have to speak to him
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
Original post by Mashpotato123
Tell him how that made you feel, he may not know what impact that comment has had on you

He did know at the time but never said anything about it
Reply 7
What he said was inconsiderate, has there been any other issues since then?
Reply 8
Girl, that's so immature of him I'm sorry that happened to you. His ego was clearly hurt by not being able to lift you so he had to deflect onto you - it's a him problem. Recommend him to hit the gym himself
Well, he kinda had a laugh at his own expense at the same time.

You have to know someone, (and their sensitivities), extraordinarily well to make a joke about their weight so it depends on what you know about him and whether it was likely mean spirited or just ill considered.
Reply 10
It's a weird comment. It sounds like he was insulting you, but then he also insulted himself as well.

I can definitely understand you being annoyed about it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by AF2Dr
It's a weird comment. It sounds like he was insulting you, but then he also insulted himself as well.
I can definitely understand you being annoyed about it.

Yeah thank you .
It wasn’t even a joke tho like he was being serious
Original post by Admit-One
Well, he kinda had a laugh at his own expense at the same time.
You have to know someone, (and their sensitivities), extraordinarily well to make a joke about their weight so it depends on what you know about him and whether it was likely mean spirited or just ill considered.

Yeah I guess if it was a joke then sure but he was being serious
My mum has disliked him ever since this happened what do I do
I've read your other replies and if he can be mean at times , definitely talk to him and let him know about this and how you feel. Also it seems as if his ego was hurt so he tried to insult you and also insulted himself. You should definitely watch out if he says any other mean stuff and if he does then drop him. Also I understand why your mum would dislike him since it happened as it was mean and he didn't really deal with it well ,especially if he knows about your insecurities.
Original post by tamil fever
I've read your other replies and if he can be mean at times , definitely talk to him and let him know about this and how you feel. Also it seems as if his ego was hurt so he tried to insult you and also insulted himself. You should definitely watch out if he says any other mean stuff and if he does then drop him. Also I understand why your mum would dislike him since it happened as it was mean and he didn't really deal with it well ,especially if he knows about your insecurities.

Thank you so much. Yes, my family dislike him now esp my mum. She wanted me to break up with him as well. Is this too far?
Have you spoken to him about it and let him know that in retrospect it was upsetting?
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much. Yes, my family dislike him now esp my mum. She wanted me to break up with him as well. Is this too far?

No it's not too far, I understand her perspective. What I would do is let him know he's being mean, and if he doesn't change then break up. I know it will be hard as you seem to really like him but you also have to ask yourself does this man actually like you if he keeps being mean and do you want to deal with this for life.
Original post by tamil fever
No it's not too far, I understand her perspective. What I would do is let him know he's being mean, and if he doesn't change then break up. I know it will be hard as you seem to really like him but you also have to ask yourself does this man actually like you if he keeps being mean and do you want to deal with this for life.

And we are long distance too as he goes uniMy sister also think he sexually assaulted me but I don’t know if it was . But he actually doesn’t mean it I don’t think as he tries to be sweet and caring but idkkk it’s so hard :/
Original post by Anonymous
And we are long distance too as he goes uniMy sister also think he sexually assaulted me but I don’t know if it was . But he actually doesn’t mean it I don’t think as he tries to be sweet and caring but idkkk it’s so hard :/

As for the S.A ask yourself this. Did he force you into it/did he ask consent/did you say you were uncomfortable or any type of no beforehand etc. Also I'm assuming you're saying he doesn't mean it in relation to his meanness. But trying is different to actually being sweet and caring. If you have spoken about his meanness before and he hasn't fixed up then he really doesn't care enough to respect your feelings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending