The Student Room Group

"All athiest are terrorists" say our allies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Rad Prince
The Saudis don't want to attack Western targets that is the very reason why we should be willing to work with them.

So we should forget the fact they persecute gays, women and atheists?
I'm not saying we can't support them, but don't pretend that you care about 'freedom and democracy' and then support the Saudis.
Original post by Bornblue
So we should forget the fact they persecute gays, women and atheists?
I'm not saying we can't support them, but don't pretend that you care about 'freedom and democracy' and then support the Saudis.

When have I ever prepared to care about freedom and democracy?
Reply 42
Saudi's internal affairs are irrelevant in this case.
They provide useful information/resources and having them further increases the strength of the Western powers (in this case Britain) in that area.

Imagine thinking a country won't join an alliance because they have some disagreements.
The Great Powers hated each other during the wars, yet alliances were still formed.
Original post by mojojojo101
The post you quoted made no objection to oil products, just stated that one of the main reasons the UK maintain a relationship with Saudi is oil supply, which is true.

Why would you not speak to a trading partner?

I'm not saying you have. But many in the right justify our actions in the Middle East on the basis of 'freedom and democracy' yet they then support Saudi Arabia.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why would you not speak to a trading partner?

Saudi Arabia are not the sole producer of oil in the world.

Why am I the one having to explain myself :-/

So as long as ISIS just did thier little fascist things in their own area and left us alone they would be fine in your books?

You're as bad as the lefties who just want to leave people to be slaughtered under the regimes.
Saudi Arabia are not the sole producer of oil in the world.

Just the largest and cheapest.
Original post by Bornblue
Exactly the flip argument can be made. Why do you go on about how bad Hamas are and then support the Saudis?
Yet again, astonishing levels of hypocrisy from the right wing nut jobs.

Yeah whatabouterry doesn't really apply when you're constantly preaching to everyone how you're the different, righteous, moral one and all that tosh.

That aside, I've never said a single complimentary thing about Saudi Arabia in my life, nor am I a "right wing nut job" for that matter. Though why I'm pointing this out to the person who seems to think that anyone right of John McDonnell is a Tory is anyone's guess. So you can leave the "you" out of it. The point is that it seems like overnight you lot are banging on about Saudi.....ever since Owen Jones did lol.

I note though you don't dispute the hypocrisy of going on about Saudh yet supporting someone who pockets lots of money from Al Jazeera and Press TV. Guess it's inescapable.

This reminds me (speaking of taking suddenly fashionable viewpoints), I forgot at the time to ask you about your claim recently that you'd criticised Putin "plenty of times" or along those lines. If so, why never on here? Just a matter of interest you understand...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
Yeah whatabouterry doesn't really apply when you're constantly preaching to everyone how you're the different, righteous, moral one and all that tosh.

That aside, I've never said a single complimentary thing about Saudi Arabia in my life, nor am I a "right wing nut job" for that matter. Though why I'm pointing this out to the person who seems to think that anyone right of John McDonnell is a Tory is anyone's guess. So you can leave the "you" out of it. The point is that it seems like overnight you lot are banging on about Saudi.....ever since Owen Jones did lol.

I note though you don't dispute the hypocrisy of going on about Saudh yet supporting someone who pockets lots of money from Al Jazeera and Press TV. Guess it's inescapable.

This reminds me (speaking of taking suddenly fashionable viewpoints), I forgot at the time to ask you about your claim recently that you'd criticised Putin "plenty of times" or along those lines. If so, why never on here? Just a matter of interest you understand...

I don't support Putin, not Hamas, nor any extremist Islamist group- for the same reason I don't support Saudi Arabia. At least I'm consistent and don't abandon all my values like you do when money is involved.

I've long opposed our relationship with the Saudis irrespective of what Owen Jones has said. Ive long opposed Putin and his tratement of homosexuals, his racism, his corruption and his actions towards Ukraine.

You're trying to point out a hypocrisy that doesn't exist. Meanwhile you support a government that props up the tyrannical and brutal dictatorship of Saudi Arabia while at the same time harping on about 'freedom and democracy'.

And no, I don't think anyone right of John McDonnell is a Tory - nice making up my position of though. I am a huge fan of Gordon brown - possibly my favourite British politician actually, I am a huge fan of Blairs domestic achievements and chuka umunna was my first choice for the labour leadership until he dropped out. So there's something for your 'anyone right of John is a Tory nonsense'
(edited 8 years ago)
#NotAllAtheists
Just the largest and cheapest.

Well that's just a choice you have to make, do you want to pay more for an item in the knowledge that you are not supporting an authoritarian theocracy with a frankly awful human rights record or is it more important that you save the pennies at the expense of making the world a worse place.
Well that's just a choice you have to make, do you want to pay more for an item in the knowledge that you are not supporting an authoritarian theocracy with a frankly awful human rights record or is it more important that you save the pennies at the expense of making the world a worse place.

I know that most of the world don't enjoy western democracy, but western democracy only survives in the west.
I know that most of the world don't enjoy western democracy, but western democracy only survives in the west.

Not sure why that's relevant.

All I'm saying is that we don' have to buy stuff from people who we don't like, just because its cheap.
Not sure why that's relevant.

All I'm saying is that we don' have to buy stuff from people who we don't like, just because its cheap.

You have that personal choice. Refuse to use petrol, diesel and other products derived from crude oil.

I on the other hand will continue to use products sourced from the cheapest source and acknowledge that different parts of the world are ruled in different manners to the uk because the world is made up of different cultures.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

You're as bad as the lefties who just want to leave people to be slaughtered under the regimes.

Eh? Whats your position again?

Eh, youll have to define western democracy (I presume you mean Liberal Democracy) . India, South Korea, Japan, South Africa seem to be doing alright. Plenty of others seem to be transitioning pretty well e.g Ghana, Tunisia...

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2015#.Vk2b6BGvGUk
Original post by Davij038
Eh, youll have to define western democracy (I presume you mean Liberal Democracy) . India, South Korea, Japan, South Africa seem to be doing alright. Plenty of others seem to be transitioning pretty well e.g Ghana, Tunisia...

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2015#.Vk2b6BGvGUk

India was a legacy of empire as was South Africa.
Japan had it enforced post ww2.
South Korea has only recently adopted it under American pressure.

The others you've mentioned are forcing it through but with resistance.
(edited 8 years ago)
India was a legacy of empire as was South Africa.
Japan had it enforced post ww2.
South Korea has only recently adopted it under American pressure.

Regardless, it is still surviving and seems to be expanding through the process of globalisation
I dont even see the point of labelling people atheist it is pointless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending