The Student Room Group

Advice

Hi, all!
I'll get right into it... I have never been a high achiever as I've never taken an initiative to actually self study for anything. I've recently started A levels and it's really starting to show in classes. I would like to improve on my mathematics as I'm doing normal and further somehow :tongue:

Here is how I intend on starting to study maths, please give feedback:

1. Go through the textbook and once a topic is learnt do the mixed exercise for it.
2. Do this for every topic. Then once I've done this for the whole module do the exam questions by topic on madasmaths.com
3. Once all exam questions by topic are done start past papers!

Would abiding by that method ensure good grades? :tongue:
Original post by HelpMe?
Hi, all!
I'll get right into it... I have never been a high achiever as I've never taken an initiative to actually self study for anything. I've recently started A levels and it's really starting to show in classes. I would like to improve on my mathematics as I'm doing normal and further somehow :tongue:

Here is how I intend on starting to study maths, please give feedback:

1. Go through the textbook and once a topic is learnt do the mixed exercise for it.
2. Do this for every topic. Then once I've done this for the whole module do the exam questions by topic on madasmaths.com
3. Once all exam questions by topic are done start past papers!

Would abiding by that method ensure good grades? :tongue:

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck! :borat:
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM

Great, thank! :h:
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM

Also, another question. When do you think would be the ideal time to have the content for all the modules completed so I can focus solely on pastpapers? :tongue:
Original post by HelpMe?
Also, another question. When do you think would be the ideal time to have the content for all the modules completed so I can focus solely on pastpapers? :tongue:

Depends over what timeframe - have you started this year? Are you doing AS Maths and Further Maths at the same time?
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Depends over what timeframe - have you started this year? Are you doing AS Maths and Further Maths at the same time?

Yes, but I rarely take anything away from lessons.. I've done a bit of my own studying and managed to pretty much complete C1. I'm going to start C2 with the method above tomorrow. I'm also thinking about alternating between modules too but I'm not sure
Original post by HelpMe?
Yes, but I rarely take anything away from lessons.. I've done a bit of my own studying and managed to pretty much complete C1. I'm going to start C2 with the method above tomorrow. I'm also thinking about alternating between modules too but I'm not sure

You would be fine if you finished around 3 modules (C1, FP1 and either half of two applied modules or one whole applied module) by December and then do one module a monthish from then, which'll leave you with plenty of time, but study ahead by all means.
Reply 7
Thats a very good plan, stick to it, ask your teachers for advice if you think you need to change your methods
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
You would be fine if you finished around 3 modules (C1, FP1 and either half of two applied modules or one whole applied module) by December and then do one module a monthish from then, which'll leave you with plenty of time, but study ahead by all means.

Alright, thanks a lot!

I wish you nothing but success in your degree!! :h:
Original post by HelpMe?
Alright, thanks a lot!

I wish you nothing but success in your degree!! :h:

Can't give any more rep to you for now, but thanks :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest