The Student Room Group

13 A level exams - doable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by High Stakes
Ever heard of 'crabs in a bucket'? Look it up.

Look. You're not attempting to redefine number theory.

A levels are simple. You read the subject. Revise for it. Use the upcoming Christmas holiday to consolidate what you've learnt, alongside past papers to highlight any gaps in your knowledge.

Yes, yes. It's Christmas! But who cares? The average life expectancy is around 80 years. You'll have plenty of Christmas holidays to relax and enjoy. 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023...I don't like it when people use holidays as an excuse to do nothing.

Not even asking you to skip Christmas Eve & Day. Simply use your time effectively and you'll be glad you did so when August rolls by with the A level results envelopes.

Cheers for the advice, great analogy too.
Original post by yoomi
I have 16

What subjects?
Reply 22
these exams are important, then youll have time to get smashed to mad mashy
13 is nothing mate

A lot of people had roughly 10-15 last year I think, people doing humanities had less though. I think I had 18 and 18 this year again but that's because I do science only (and crappy GS)

It's just important to prepare equally as well for each one and not focus on one for ages, take it, and have another one two days after that you've done nothing for haha
Reply 24
Original post by ASTK98
What subjects?

Doing A-level and redoing As :smile: Maths, Physics , Chemistry and Arabic
Original post by ASTK98
I have 13 exams next summer - 7 for A2 and 5 for AS. I had chickenpox for the majority of AS exam season hence why I am retaking some exams. I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and I have already started hardcore revision - all free periods, when I get home from school and weekends. So, is 13 exams in one exam season feasible, or is it too much?

Last summer I had 3 STEP, 11 A2, 1 AS and 3 IGCSE exam(s), plus a couple more.
13(with just 7 A2) is definitely doable. The AS content you should already be fully confident with and should be very easy after the A2 stuff so it looks to be a relaxing year.
Original post by ASTK98
How did you find it during exam season? My schedule looks very tight and some exams are sort of 'squeezed in' - have 4 exams in 5 days in June! Just seems very hard to be able to prepare enough for each exam when it gets to it.

I had 7 in 5 days, mostly important 2 and 3 hour ones. If you physically haven't got the time to revise in between exams then make sure you do enough revision for those exams just before and at the start of the exam season. If you have lots of long exams in one day, limit the amount of revision you do in the morning and day before otherwise you'll get overtired and won't be able to focus properly in the exams. If you have long exams that clash, ask the exams office if you can move one to the other part of the day(you don't need to sort this out yet).
(edited 8 years ago)
I mean 30 exams is doable for some people... so asking if 13 is doable doesn't really mean anything because how does anyone know if you can do 13 exams or not?
Original post by crayolaguy
I mean 30 exams is doable for some people... so asking if 13 is doable doesn't really mean anything because how does anyone know if you can do 13 exams or not?

Realistically speaking - I know that it varies from person to person but there is a line between reality and fantasy lol. 30 exams in one summer is literally impossible to prepare for tbh, I don't see how anyone would be able to prepare for them.

You're right tho, I should've reworded my question. But I only really wanted to find out about experiences of other people in certain situation and how they went about it, that's all.
I thought you were doin 13 A levels :biggrin:
I don't understand. How are you people doing 14 a-levels in two years? How is it possible? And they're all different, right?
I've got 11 exams this year retaking maths and chem :/ going to be such a long thing but with enough revision hopefully should be possible to do well
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I don't understand. How are you people doing 14 a-levels in two years? How is it possible? And they're all different, right?

A-level exams bro, not A-level(s)
Original post by andy12345smith
I've got 11 exams this year retaking maths and chem :/ going to be such a long thing but with enough revision hopefully should be possible to do well

You will be fine, Maths and Chem are incredibly synoptic at A2.
Original post by ASTK98
A-level exams bro, not A-level(s)

Bloody hell. I was like....WHAT?

I'm only doing a measly 11.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Bloody hell. I was like....WHAT?

I'm only doing a measly 11.

Seems alright, how many AS resits?
Original post by ASTK98
Seems alright, how many AS resits?

3, so not too bad.
Original post by ASTK98
You will be fine, Maths and Chem are incredibly synoptic at A2.

yeah true so you already started your proper revision?
Original post by JRKinder
My A2's are Maths, Physics and Politics (have to retake one AS unit due to extenuating circumstances) and I'm also taking an additional AS in Further Maths.

What exam board are you with A level Maths & Physics?
Reply 38
Original post by ASTK98
I have 13 exams next summer - 7 for A2 and 5 for AS. I had chickenpox for the majority of AS exam season hence why I am retaking some exams. I do Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and I have already started hardcore revision - all free periods, when I get home from school and weekends. So, is 13 exams in one exam season feasible, or is it too much?

It's all manageable as long as you do the revision for your AS ones really early, and manage your time effectively.

I have 13 too (or 14, still unsure about taking one of them). What's worse is I'll have two exams that'll be on at the same time, for quite some days :frown:
Original post by andy12345smith
yeah true so you already started your proper revision?

Yeah, been over S1, going to finish it soon then move onto Chem/Bio unit 1 in Christmas holidays. Better to get it out of the way early imo. You?

Quick Reply

Latest