The Student Room Group

University students dressed up as 'ethnic minorities' for a social night out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
That's an American viewpoint. In the UK we don't have the same historical baggage.

Point conceded. But as a whole from my position the notion makes me cringe.
Original post by drowzee
I am quick to shut down SJWs with their cultural appropriation bs, but this is just offensive. Dressing up as an ethnic minority is not okay. If you're dressing us as a particular person/character that is of ethnic origin, fine (painting your face is not okay, ever). However, dressing up as a 'black person' or 'Arab' etc. is just wrong.

Unless you're Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder.

By the way, why Drowzee over Hypno?
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
[video="youtube;-0L_oJMhcs0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0L_oJMhcs0[/video]

Great show.
Original post by cole-slaw
That's an American viewpoint. In the UK we don't have the same historical baggage.
Britain colonised everyone, no specific group was ever singled out for oppression!
Original post by TheUKAmerican
Point conceded. But as a whole from my position the notion makes me cringe.

You do have a completely bizarre obsession with race in the States tbh.

I watched the SNL that Trump hosted, and I think there was a black/white people joke in pretty much every segment.

Anyway, I applaud the students in issue for successfully irritating some of the perpetually outraged crowd.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You do have a completely bizarre obsession with race in the States tbh.

I watched the SNL that Trump hosted, and I think there was a black/white people joke in pretty much every segment.

Anyway, I applaud the students in issue for successfully irritating some of the perpetually outraged crowd.

It isn't as bizarre when a segment of your population has been intentionally discriminated against within the system since the countries birth.
Original post by TheUKAmerican
It isn't as bizarre when a segment of your population has been intentionally discriminated against within the system since the countries birth.

I'm not saying it's not readily explicable. I'm sure it is. It is still true that it astonishes many of us on this side of the Atlantic.
I'm not saying it's not readily explicable. I'm sure it is. It is still true that it astonishes many of us on this side of the Atlantic.

Point taken. Each country has its own idiosyncrasies nonetheless. :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by drowzee
I am quick to shut down SJWs with their cultural appropriation bs, but this is just offensive. Dressing up as an ethnic minority is not okay. If you're dressing us as a particular person/character that is of ethnic origin, fine (painting your face is not okay, ever). However, dressing up as a 'black person' or 'Arab' etc. is just wrong.

Why not?

Original post by Star-girl
Yes - you are missing a huge chunk of history. Look up the history of "blackface".

And Nazis dressed in clothes.

Original post by Star-girl
SMH I can't believe people are still so stupid in this day and age. Urgh. :puke:

Yes. IT IS CURRENT YEAR
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I'm very glad that someone dressed up in a Mao costume. Us orientals need to be represented when being targets of so-called racist oppression.

No 39 please
Reply 70
Original post by James A
So basically, there was an Agriculture society social recently with students from the University of Reading and they decided it was fun to dress up as ethnic minorities on the Monday. Look at the articles

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/university-students-dressed-up-ethnic-6856733

link to the social media side of this controversy: http://www.thedailytouch.com/megan-maloney/members-of-reading-unis-agriculture-society-wore-racist-costumes-on-a-social-last-night/

Have a read through the two links and post below your opinions. I'm personally shocked that some students did something like that, especially with racial tensions high from the Paris massacre. They let down the other students of my university (I attend Reading). :angry:

Don't see what the big deal is. Ethnic minorities dress up as ethnic majorities all the time. :biggrin: We all know it's a fact.....
Original post by Ciel.
Don't see what the big deal is. Ethnic minorities dress up as ethnic majorities all the time. :biggrin: We all know it's a fact.....

Anyone claiming that cultural appropriation is unacceptable had better first (lest they fall into hypocrisy) make sure they don't eat food from another country, drink beverages from another culture, use words that have foreign origins (such as "cultural" and "appropriation", as a matter of fact), watch foreign television programmes or use materials from abroad.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
No 39 please
U wan ih wi lice or noodow?
Original post by Kurtle

And Nazis dressed in clothes.

Yes. IT IS CURRENT YEAR

??
Action has been taken against the society and the individuals involved :yy:

http://www.rusu.co.uk/news/article/6001/decision_on_agriculture_society_announced/
It appears that student political (and even social) activities are conducted in a very strange bubble indeed.
Original post by Good bloke
It appears that student political (and even social) activities are conducted in a very strange bubble indeed.

Student union members are pretty much by definition the most humourless, officious people around.

They get voted in by a tiny minority of students, because most well-adjusted people don't even want to get sufficiently involved to vote, take themselves painfully seriously, and then go around voting to create 'safe spaces' and mandate usage of jazz hands instead of clapping, on the assumption that everyone else is as timid and socially incapable as they.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student union members are pretty much by definition the most humourless, officious people around.

They get voted in by a tiny minority of students, because most well-adjusted people don't even want to get sufficiently involved to vote, take themselves painfully seriously, and then go around voting to create 'safe spaces' and mandate usage of jazz hands instead of clapping, on the assumption that everyone else is as timid and socially incapable as they.

For the last student elections at my old uni they made a huge deal out of the fact 1500 students voted, saying how it's a credit to the university and a huge turnout etc. Laughable thing is that's not even 10% of the student population. I absolutely hated election season and would actively avoid going on campus where possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James A
Action has been taken against the society and the individuals involved :yy:

http://www.rusu.co.uk/news/article/6001/decision_on_agriculture_society_announced/

from the article:

Following last week's Agricultural society social, Reading University Students' Union (RUSU) has taken the decision to disaffiliate the society with immediate effect. All support will be withdrawn and the society won't be able to reform as an official RUSU society for a period of three years.

My reaction:

Good news. Thanks for the update.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Do you people really think it's okay for a white person to impersonate a black person by wiping dirt on their face and wearing tribal outfits?

How morally bankrupt are you people?

And to make things worse people like keromedic who keep giving white racists the benefit of the doubt are not helping at all, he is a part of the problem too.

This is why I'm cordial to white people when I have to be but in my personal time I'm paying you guys dust.

Your racism is not welcome on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending