The Student Room Group

AQA AS Philosophy - META-ETHICS!!

I am doing the AQA AS Philosophy and I am just starting to think about revision. I am so confused with the Meta-Ethics! It is not that hard, but I have no idea what theories I am meant to be studying!

Does this list look conclusive, or am I missing any theories?

Non-Cognitivism:

Moral Realism
Intuitionism
Ethical Naturalism
Ethical Rationalism

Cognitivism:

Moral Anti-Realism
Emotivism
Prescriptivism
Ethical Relativism
Moral Nihilism

I would really appreciate any help.
Reply 1
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5171-6171-W-SP-07.PDF

There's the link to the AQA spec - that has EVERYTHING you need to know :smile: - your list looks pretty comprehensive though.
Reply 2
rachels
I am doing the AQA AS Philosophy and I am just starting to think about revision. I am so confused with the Meta-Ethics! It is not that hard, but I have no idea what theories I am meant to be studying!

Does this list look conclusive, or am I missing any theories?

Non-Cognitivism:

Moral Realism
Intuitionism
Ethical Naturalism
Ethical Rationalism

Cognitivism:

Moral Anti-Realism
Emotivism
Prescriptivism
Ethical Relativism
Moral Nihilism

I would really appreciate any help.

I think you are slightly confused about a few terms (or you've made a simply typing mistake).

Moral non-cognitivism is (roughly) the belief that there are not moral facts. Relativism, emotivism, nihilism etc are thus examples of non-cognitivism, NOT cognitivism.

Moral cognitivism is the belief that there are moral facts. Realism, intuitionism, ethical naturalism (though I was under the impression that realists critique naturalism - eg. Moore on naturalistic fallacy) are examples of cognistivism, NOT non-cognitivism.

I suspect you just got the two terms typed out wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending