The Student Room Group

Is it homophobic to not watch homosexual activity on my tv

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
Aww another homophobic banned member reciting nazi propaganda. Welcome back!

Someone who disagrees with you is automatically a "troll"?
Original post by Lady Comstock
No reputable psychiatrist

No reputable psychiatrists exist. The whole subject is charlatanry.
Original post by Kiytt
So where do you draw your arbitrary line? Closing one eye? Muting the TV? Fast forwarding? Clearly, you're an expert on what the appropriate reaction is to discomfort.

I think any 'discomfort' that makes you alter your behaviour is pretty pathetic and probably indicative of some underlying issue. If gay people can watch straight make-out scenes without such a dramatic reaction, why can't straight people watch gay scenes? Straight people don't have to enjoy it, but I question why anyone would have such a dramatic adverse reaction.
Original post by eoe
Exactly !
If a person does not wanna see two men kissing because he thinks that it does not appeal to him. There is NOTHING wrong with that.

Thats a good point, but ask yourself this: Why didn't it appeal to him in the first place?

Could it be:

a. offended by sexual content in general?
or
b. offended by just homosexual content?
It's called reaction formation :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by mercuryman
Thats a good point, but ask yourself this: Why didn't it appeal to him in the first place?

Could it be:

a. offended by sexual content in general?
or
b. offended by just homosexual content?

No because he is straight. Simple
Stop shouting homophobia everywhere.
Its just annoying
We live in a free country and everyone is entltiled to their opinion
Original post by annieprincess
It's not homophobic. To say that it is, is dumb.

It's merely feeling uncomfortable with something you aren't used to. We are used to seeing men and women engage sexually on TV all the time, to the point it's not uncomfortable anymore, whereas seeing a gay couple may make you feel uncomfortable, because you're not used to it.

And that is what homophobia is. You are basically saying that people who used to be shocked and disgusted or uncomfortable or considered it wrong to see interracial couples kissing were not actually racist, they just weren't used to it. That's how racism and homophobia and all other sorts of prejudice works, when you aren't exposed to something and are fed false information and stereotypes and so when you come across a Jew, or a black person or gays or an interracial couple, you have negative feelings. Thats what racism, homophobia and anti-semitism are.

Original post by annieprincess

It's like when you're a kid and see a man and woman kiss, you close your eyes etc because you aren't used to it, it's uncomfortable.

No, it isnt like that. Kids say 'eww' when they see aduls kissing because they dont have any sexual or romantic feelings yet so they dont know the feelings that adults experience and what makes them want to do 'gross' things such as swapping spit or putting their genitals together. If you really think about it, all that stuff is still gross even as an adult, but we do it anyway because we are programmed to like that gross stuff.
Original post by Anarchytm
Someone who disagrees with you is automatically a "troll"?

So you are asking me that question on your new account as well?lmao

Not the mention the fact that this time I wasn't even calling you a troll, I was calling you a banned member, which you are.

Lmao I love how you just admitted that banned member equals troll. You said it, not me. You are right in calling yourself a troll though. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Just look away is the response.

I don't find it homophobic at all that you don't like looking at homosexual acts on TV, that's just a preference. I prefer not to look at straight couple or gay couples get it on because I don't find it entertaining in general. That doesn't make me hetero-phobic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Lady Comstock
I think any 'discomfort' that makes you alter your behaviour is pretty pathetic and probably indicative of some underlying issue. If gay people can watch straight make-out scenes without such a dramatic reaction, why can't straight people watch gay scenes? Straight people don't have to enjoy it, but I question why anyone would have such a dramatic adverse reaction.

Turning away is what you classify as "dramatic"? Jesus Christ, the only thing being dramatic here is you exaggerating.

The "underlying issue" you speak of is simply an under-exposure to gay intimacy. We live in a heteronormative society, so trying to switch the roles to prove a point is false equivalency. If we lived in a homonormative society, I can almost guarantee the same response would be seen in gay individuals. And to be quite honest, I myself as a straight individual feel uncomfortable watching any making-out or sex scenes on TV, so this is really not an incomprehensible reaction whatsoever.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Oh do one. So I'm homophobic now because I don't like the sight of seeing two men swap spit? I'm straight, I can't exactly help it... I will scroll forwards / change the channel / look away as a damn well please!

Yeah. I respect gay people's rights and they can do whatever they want; it's none of my business.

In fact, I don't even mind that gay sex appears on TV; if straight sex appears on TV, why not gay sex?

I have no bad feelings towards homosexuals themselves or homosexuality itself but I just really feel a visceral compulsion to look away when I see gay male sex on TV. It's not a reaction I consciously developed. In fact, I quite enjoy looking at two females having sex so it's not like I'm inherently against the concept, either.
(edited 8 years ago)
So you are asking me that question on your new account as well?lmaoNot the mention the fact that this time I wasn't even calling you a troll, I was calling you a banned member, which you are.Lmao I love how you just admitted that banned member equals troll. You said it, not me. You are right in calling yourself a troll though. :wink:
I literally have never joined before, I created an account to reply to this threat. How have I admitted anything I've literally said nothing regarding that and even if that was true how is that anyway relevant to the current discussion at hand?
Original post by eoe
No because he is straight. Simple
Stop shouting homophobia everywhere.
Its just annoying
We live in a free country and everyone is entltiled to their opinion

That's true too. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we should respect that. I wasn't calling anyone a homophobe, I was just saying that it's possible to be classified as one if you have homophobe-like intentions.
Original post by Anarchytm
I literally have never joined before, I created an account to reply to this threat. How have I admitted anything I've literally said nothing regarding that and even if that was true how is that anyway relevant to the current discussion at hand?

I am putting you on my ignore list now, just like I have done with your previous account xo
[video="youtube;WGlvk-gmQCE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGlvk-gmQCE[/video]
I am putting you on my ignore list now, just like I have done with your previous account xo

Typical liberal behavior, ignore the truth and live a fantasy world where everything is tolerant and loving.

Also http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_mental_health.html

Mental illness is related to be homosexual and homosexuality is not a natural disease it's a illness caused by the environment the person has been living in such as other mental illness's.

As for disliking to watch gays on television openly kissing, when you're a child did your parents not cover your eyes or tell you go to away when they knew a "rude scene" was coming even if it was heterosexual in nature, to put it simply people disliking watch sexual interactions on television when they are probably trying to eat their dinner.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Just look away is the response.

I don't find it homophobic at all that you don't looking at homosexual acts on TV, that's just a preference. I prefer not to look at straight couple or gay couples get it on because I don't find it entertaining in general. That doesn't make me hetero-phobic.

No. I think some of the people of this thread are ridiculous and too judgemental.
Original post by Kiytt
Turning away is what you classify as "dramatic"? Jesus Christ, the only thing being dramatic here is you exaggerating.

Given people watch 99% of television without 'turning away', I would say it is a pretty dramatic response.

The "underlying issue" you speak of is simply an under-exposure to gay intimacy. We live in a heteronormative society, so trying to switch the roles to prove a point is false equivalency. If we lived in a homonormative society, I can almost guarantee the same response would be seen in gay individuals. And to be quite honest, I myself as a straight individual feel uncomfortable watching any making-out or sex scenes on TV, so this is really not an incomprehensible reaction whatsoever.

So your logic is that it's normal to turn away and have an adverse reaction to things we are not familiar with?
Original post by XcitingStuart
There might be a higher tendency for gay men to be more "feminine" (ugh, I hate these words), but there are actually really masculine men out there, just a higher tendency for one characteristic than the other.

Exactly. Deciding all gays are effeminate is as stupid as deciding all muslims are terrorists.

I recently found out the lead actor of prison break was gay. Would have had no clue had he not announced it.
Original post by ivybridge
It depends on the reason. If you look away because it is a physical display of affection or a sexual scene in general, regardless of the gender of both parties involved, then of course not. However, if the reason you look away is because it is a homosexual act and that makes you uncomfortable and you think it's disgusting to see, just because it is two men, then you live up to what it means to be homophobic, regardless of whether or not you think you are generally. That is what being homophobic is.

But why should you be vilified for it if you respect other people's right to engage in the behaviour and don't treat gay men any differently apart from intrinsically not wanting to watch them have sex?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest