The Student Room Group

American Breakfast vs. English Breakfast

Scroll to see replies

American buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup. Oh my.

Though I wouldn't say no to a full English breakfast.
Reply 21
Anybody else love a hotel breakfast? There's something bloody great about them.
Original post by Sabertooth
American buttermilk pancakes with maple syrup. Oh my.

Though I wouldn't say no to a full English breakfast.

Yeah Pancakes are the one but you'd say English breakfast wins in every other department though.
Original post by jam277
Yeah Pancakes are the one but you'd say English breakfast wins in every other department though.

English sausages are definitely better. As are beans in tomato sauce rather than BBQ. But US bacon has way more flavor than English. Fried tomatoes are pretty gross as is the black pudding.
**** all that, bowl of cereal does me.
Original post by Sabertooth
English sausages are definitely better. As are beans in tomato sauce rather than BBQ. But US bacon has way more flavor than English. Fried tomatoes are pretty gross as is the black pudding.

Ain't the only difference between the bacon is that yours is streaky (from the stomach) and ours is back bacon? You can get the former over here, I buy it. If it's a butty though I use back bacon.
Reply 26
Original post by WoodyMKC
**** all that, bowl of cereal does me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about the gains :wink:
Original post by sw651
Posted from TSR Mobile

What about the gains :wink:

Plenty of carbs, swimming in milk so some good proteenz... decent really :redface:
You just can't beat a full English breakfast. How can you resist the black pudding, sausages, grilled (or even better, chopped) tomatoes, and extra smoky bacon? Oh, and fried bread. :drool:

I don't want to know about them sickly syrupy pancakes, or waffles that go dry and stale as soon as they come out the toaster. After saying that, though, cereal and sunny-side-ups aren't too bad.
Original post by RCLeahcar
How can you resist the black pudding

@Precious Illusions

(Is...is that a euphemism?)

But seriously blackpudding is :coma: Scottish breakfast is great too as it includes haggis and tatty scones.

But overall English. You forgot the hash brown though. And in my family we have it with kidneys.
Original post by Precious Illusions
(Is...is that a euphemism?)

But seriously blackpudding is :coma: Scottish breakfast is great too as it includes haggis and tatty scones.

But overall English. You forgot the hash brown though. And in my family we have it with kidneys.

:biggrin:

I have tried haggis now, it's not that different to pork faggots tbh. Bit spicier maybe and not meatball shaped. But it's top stuff, really like it.

Have you had that Scottish black pudding I spoke to you about ages ago yet?
English Mustard I can't complement enough.

It's like soul food for me.
Original post by jam277

What do you eat it with?

I have the Colmans stuff and yeah it's exceptional but too much blazes my nostrils off. Usually have it with a steak or ham sandwich.
Original post by Wilfred Little
What do you eat it with?

I have the Colmans stuff and yeah it's exceptional but too much blazes my nostrils off. Usually have it with a steak or ham sandwich.

Salt beef, Eggs, Steak, Chips.

Heck I put it on everything savoury. It's absolutely great with Salt Beef though, highly recommend that. It's strong as hell though but I'm not as sensitive as I used to be to it.
:biggrin:

I have tried haggis now, it's not that different to pork faggots tbh. Bit spicier maybe and not meatball shaped. But it's top stuff, really like it.

Have you had that Scottish black pudding I spoke to you about ages ago yet?

I love haggis! Oh and Scottish breakfast incudes lorne sausage too <3

I haven't yet! Damn. Gonna keep an eye out for it now though.
Original post by jam277

What do you eat it with?

and English Mustard in a pastrami and pickle sammich :coma:
Same goes for beans and tomatoes on an English breakfast. No idea why people have tomatoes, they leak water all over the plate and ruin the other ingredients. Mushrooms are **** as well. Mushrooms, beans and tomatoes have no place on a breakfast.
Would agree on the beans they are non traditional anyway. Mushroom no, if you cook them properly they'll be good water should have come out already, full of umami too which an English breakfast is all about. Tomato too, if its leaking water everywhere you haven't cook it properly people just blaze them under a grill and wonder why they get a balloon of hot water. Need to season it and caramelise the top slowly.

4 x dry cured streaky bacon, smoked, cooked in the oven not fried
4 x hash brown
Wtf? Back bacon is traditional, not streaky thats US. Hashbrowns? USvEnglish breakfast and you're including something of US origin and popularity. Might as well include syrup and pancakes, ask for those eggs sunny side up while you're at it.

Bit of a cheat but, if I need filling I'd include potato farls instead of the bread. Bacon, egg yolk and potato cakes is just lush, **** that hashbrown nonsense. Also jury is out on cooking bacon in the oven, if you're going for fired bread you've got to fry that meat, then you can enjoy the guilty pleasure of frying the bread in aftermath.
Original post by Fizzel
Would agree on the beans they are non traditional anyway. Mushroom no, if you cook them properly they'll be good water should have come out already, full of umami too which an English breakfast is all about. Tomato too, if its leaking water everywhere you haven't cook it properly people just blaze them under a grill and wonder why they get a balloon of hot water. Need to season it and caramelise the top slowly.

I might, might be willing to budge on the beans if they are in a little pot away from the plate (or if you use a sausage as a breakwater to keep them away from the eggs).

I'm not saying I didn't include mushrooms cos they leak water, I just don't like them, preference innit. Also they take up space on my plate that could be put to better use with the inclusion of far superior ingredients like black pudding.

Wtf? Back bacon is traditional, not streaky thats US. Hashbrowns? USvEnglish breakfast and you're including something of US origin and popularity. Might as well include syrup and pancakes, ask for those eggs sunny side up while you're at it.

I do have my eggs sunny side up actually lol. I grind some black pepper on top of them and use my toast to dip into them. It's good. I know back bacon is traditional and I like back bacon :smile: but it has no place on a fry. I see it more as a sandwich filler, it is better on butties than eating it on it's own. Streaky bacon has less meat & more fat so it's better to eat on it's own and suitable for a breakfast.

lol again I know hash browns are American, they actually got something right there to be fair to them.
Top notch, would include on a breakfast/10.

Bit of a cheat but, if I need filling I'd include potato farls instead of the bread. Bacon, egg yolk and potato cakes is just lush, **** that hashbrown nonsense. Also jury is out on cooking bacon in the oven, if you're going for fired bread you've got to fry that meat, then you can enjoy the guilty pleasure of frying the bread in aftermath.

Bacon is definitely better cooked in the oven. I've had potato cakes (well I am Irish after all) and I prefer hash browns tbh.

I agree on the fried bread.
Reply 39
I love both but I'd go for American. Can't beat pancakes with syrup!

Quick Reply

Latest