The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle: Computer Science Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Anyone gone to the admissions day and then got rejected?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by FREYA2898
What sort of questions did they ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why course/uni
Why you're good for it
Original post by TrojanH
Why course/uni
Why you're good for it

Thank you .. Did they ask you anything technical ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Thank you .. Did they ask you anything technical ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Seriously. It's not an interview. Everyone with the applicant day is pretty much guaranteed an offer. It's not competitive, they just want to make sure you're not TOO weird lol
Original post by TrojanH
Nope. Seriously. It's not an interview. Everyone with the applicant day is pretty much guaranteed an offer. It's not competitive, they just want to make sure you're not TOO weird lol

Thank you . I'm just really stressed cus this is the only that I've applied for comp sci and I really have to get this offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've received an offer from Newcastle for Computer Science!

I wasn't asked to attend an interview. I guess this varies from person to person!

I'm doing an Access course, not A-levels, and require the equivalent of AAB to get in. It will most likely be my firm choice, but it's between this and Leeds for me.
I have been rejected from Scotland universities for computer science and now have to choose between Newcastle and Swansea. As I am overseas, I would appreciate a domestic opinion about both universities for computer science courses.
Reply 47
Original post by chrischros
I have been rejected from Scotland universities for computer science and now have to choose between Newcastle and Swansea. As I am overseas, I would appreciate a domestic opinion about both universities for computer science courses.

I had to choose between both. Both are great but Newcastle was better for me as I preferred the city, modules, bursaries and the uni over Swansea. + NCL is RG.
Reply 48
Original post by nightraving
I've received an offer from Newcastle for Computer Science!

I wasn't asked to attend an interview. I guess this varies from person to person!

I'm doing an Access course, not A-levels, and require the equivalent of AAB to get in. It will most likely be my firm choice, but it's between this and Leeds for me.

Both are great unis, grats on your offer! Which city do you like best?
Original post by TrojanH
I had to choose between both. Both are great but Newcastle was better for me as I preferred the city, modules, bursaries and the uni over Swansea. + NCL is RG.

What about the reputation of Swansea recent years? I have read a lot about Newcastle but not so much for Swansea even they are high in ranking for computer sciences. The placement options are also important for me...
Reply 50
Original post by chrischros
What about the reputation of Swansea recent years? I have read a lot about Newcastle but not so much for Swansea even they are high in ranking for computer sciences. The placement options are also important for me...

Swansea is a rising university. I believe it has good standards of teaching. Placement options are available for every course at every university. Newcastle has good ties with industry and the city itself is HQ to some tech companies.

Ranking doesn't mean anything really. Generally, only time you need to worry about ranking is if the Uni is below 50. My opinion - completely disregard ranking as neither are below 50 and are not a concern, focus solely on the other factors.

Have you visited the U.'s? Gut feeling should tell if you'd enjoy the next three - four years of your life at the place. Have you taken a close look at the modules? Seen anything you would particularly enjoy?
Original post by TrojanH
Swansea is a rising university. I believe it has good standards of teaching. Placement options are available for every course at every university. Newcastle has good ties with industry and the city itself is HQ to some tech companies.

Ranking doesn't mean anything really. Generally, only time you need to worry about ranking is if the Uni is below 50. My opinion - completely disregard ranking as neither are below 50 and are not a concern, focus solely on the other factors.

Have you visited the U.'s? Gut feeling should tell if you'd enjoy the next three - four years of your life at the place. Have you taken a close look at the modules? Seen anything you would particularly enjoy?

Thank you! I will think about it.
Unconditional offer two weeks ago, I'm so excited!! I was never invited for an interview/open day though. I asked one of the Transitions Officers about an upcoming open day and she said that there was none and that I'd have to contact the department for a personal tour. I live in London and my parents are keen on me attending Queen Mary but I personally want to move out so I was a bit disappointed. May have to do what they've advised me to!
(edited 8 years ago)
and wow @TrojanH we did the EXACT same A Levels :P I did AS Physics though too (and failed, welp). That's why I'm so scared of the maths but I'm currently not in uni (dropped out) so I have now until September to brush up on some basic maths.
Reply 54
Original post by orphan_black
and wow @TrojanH we did the EXACT same A Levels :P I did AS Physics though too (and failed, welp). That's why I'm so scared of the maths but I'm currently not in uni (dropped out) so I have now until September to brush up on some basic maths.

No way you had done Bio, Psych and History? It's a very rare combo!

Mind telling me what grades got you the Unconditional? Any advice for History? My Cwk is due in about 4 days and I hardly have anything to show for it.

If you're afraid of Maths I would go through Khan Academy all the way from Nursery to A Level. Or something like that. Most of the time, people "bad at math", really just mean "didn't get the fundamentals in lower school". Khan is the way to go.

The open days were at the start of the year and end of last year. It's just a glorified tour and chat with a lecturer. If that's what you want then a private tour is probably better!

Also Newcastle, from what I heard, isn't math heavy at all. Besides, they only require GCSE maths so they teach up from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
No way you had done Bio, Psych and History? It's a very rare combo!

Mind telling me what grades got you the Unconditional? Any advice for History? My Cwk is due in about 4 days and I hardly have anything to show for it.

If you're afraid of Maths I would go through Khan Academy all the way from Nursery to A Level. Or something like that. Most of the time, people "bad at math", really just mean "didn't get the fundamentals in lower school". Khan is the way to go.

The open days were at the start of the year and end of last year. It's just a glorified tour and chat with a lecturer. If that's what you want then a private tour is probably better!

Also Newcastle, from what I heard, isn't math heavy at all. Besides, they only require GCSE maths so they teach up from there.

I know right! I used to regret doing that combo because I initially thought it was useless but they say you should do subjects you enjoy! I did them thinking I'd become a psychiatrist but then I found out you had to do medicine first.......

And I'm an applicant who already achieved ABB last year (enrolled unto KCL for History, absolutely loathed it so dropped out and reapplied and here I am!).

I did History with AQA and if you want I can give you my old cwk, just drop me your email if you want - I got an A in it :-)!

Ooh thanks, because I'm currently not doing anything I've tried to brush up on some basics but I'll check on Khan Academy and I completely agree!

Ahhh okay, might have to go for the private tour then! And that's very reassuring - I feel like if a university doesn't ask for A Level Maths then they surely believe they can teach the maths they want you to know I guess!
Reply 56
Original post by orphan_black
I know right! I used to regret doing that combo because I initially thought it was useless but they say you should do subjects you enjoy! I did them thinking I'd become a psychiatrist but then I found out you had to do medicine first.......

And I'm an applicant who already achieved ABB last year (enrolled unto KCL for History, absolutely loathed it so dropped out and reapplied and here I am!).

I did History with AQA and if you want I can give you my old cwk, just drop me your email if you want - I got an A in it :-)!

Ooh thanks, because I'm currently not doing anything I've tried to brush up on some basics but I'll check on Khan Academy and I completely agree!

Ahhh okay, might have to go for the private tour then! And that's very reassuring - I feel like if a university doesn't ask for A Level Maths then they surely believe they can teach the maths they want you to know I guess!

That's pretty much the exact reasoning behind why I took those subjects as well haha.

Yes please - I perform the worst in History and also take AQA. My course works due in about 4 days and have 800/3500 words done. Pretty screwed!

And absolutely, they teach everything ground up so don't worry about it. Talked to a few at Ncl/grads and they tell me after first year you can't tell who was taught Maths a level as they're all pretty much the same level after that.
Original post by TrojanH
That's pretty much the exact reasoning behind why I took those subjects as well haha.

Yes please - I perform the worst in History and also take AQA. My course works due in about 4 days and have 800/3500 words done. Pretty screwed!

And absolutely, they teach everything ground up so don't worry about it. Talked to a few at Ncl/grads and they tell me after first year you can't tell who was taught Maths a level as they're all pretty much the same level after that.

Oh wow, how bizarre hahaha! And sure, just PM me your email address and I'll send it your way! It was initially an A* coursework according to the entire history dept but I guess the examiners were a tad bit harsh on me :-/ And yay that's so nice to hear, I was so apprehensive initially!!
How much would you expect to earn after a comp sci degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
How much would you expect to earn after a comp sci degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Something between the £20-45k scale. More if you go to the US. I'm sure there are more well-informed people out there if you created a post under the CS sub forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending