The Student Room Group

Not sure but i think i have ADHD or something

People have been telling me for years i might have adhd i didnt even know what that was till i looked it up recently and saw the symptoms and almost everything ive read is what im going through, its scary cause i dont want to have a mental dysfunction or something like that. is there like a surgery or medication i can take so i can be normal? i dont even know how to tell the GP i might have it from what i saw online its hard to diagnose because it relates to other things too and i wouldnt want to hear ive got something worst than what i could have already. what do i do?
Hello :smile:
First of all, there is no such thing as 'normal', believe me- if you do get diagnosed with ADHD, it's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. It might feel like a big step to take but it's really important that you go to your doctor and get advice as to how you can get diagnosed and treatment etc. It might be scary but just think how much easier your life could be if you get help! And even if you don't have ADHD after all, at least you've put your mind at rest and sorted the situation out rather than leaving it and as a result worrying about it all the time! Good luck and I hope this helped! :smile:
Reply 2
So what happens if you find out you do have it?

No-one comes and writes 'ADHD' on your forehead in big letters for the whole world to know. It will feel like they have but they haven't. Your still the same person you was before any of this started. You now just have a name that explains how your a bit different from other people-when no-one is the same anyway.

Being different is great. I got Diagnosed with autism 4 years ago and life's been so much better since I knew. I understand why I've struggled with things for so long, and now I'm getting support with those things. A lot has changed in 4 years. I left school with GSES's 4 months after being diagnosed. went to college and failed AS levels because they did not really manage to get support for me. But I learnt, went to a new college, got better support and now I'm in my first year at uni (somehow!)

Getting diagnosed with anything is not 'the end of the world' It may feel like it but overall it helps.

So, what happens if you find out you don't have it?

Your reassured, your 'normal' (eiw, your word, and its a word I hate) and things can probably carry on as before can't they?

So what happens if you never go to your GP to ask?

You probably stay the same as you are now, writing posts like this asking for help. Your clearly wondering about it or you would have never asked.

Do you see my point?

And for your information, It's not some kind of 'mental dysfunction;' I go to various groups for people with disabilities, most include someone with ADHD so I've met quite a few people with it. ADHD is more about concentration and behaviour, not that your whole brain doesn't work. You can still learn, and do things just like anyone else. Just with a diagnosis you get so many more options of how to make life easier for you.

There's no surgery, but there is medications available that can help you manage the symptoms. And there's other things that can be done like lessons to help you learn things or ways to help you behave better/concentrate/or whatever it is you struggle with.

Telling a GP, try writing it down. Or find a reliable source with a list of ADHD symptoms and tick of with examples of the things affecting you. Then just give them that and start from there.. Or take one of the people that's said you have it to the appointment and make them explain it.

Your right that there is other linked conditions to ADHD, I believe autism is one of them, ADD is another. there is a few more.

Sorry this seems like a lot to read but I've been through something similar to what your going through now just with a different condition. I hope what I've said helps, and if you have anything else you want to ask please do.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
People have been telling me for years i might have adhd i didnt even know what that was till i looked it up recently and saw the symptoms and almost everything ive read is what im going through, its scary cause i dont want to have a mental dysfunction or something like that. is there like a surgery or medication i can take so i can be normal? i dont even know how to tell the GP i might have it from what i saw online its hard to diagnose because it relates to other things too and i wouldnt want to hear ive got something worst than what i could have already. what do i do?

There is support you can access if you have ADHD. There is no cure though.

ADHD is not a dysfunction. It can be very hard to live with, but it is not a dysfunction.

I have dyspraxia so I know what you're going through. Diagnosis is hard, but for me it was a very positive thing. The day I got diagnosed as dyspraxic is one of the best days of my life.

Try to look at it as an explanation and not as a problem. It is also a key to support if you're in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
There is support you can access if you have ADHD. There is no cure though.

ADHD is not a dysfunction. It can be very hard to live with, but it is not a dysfunction.

I have dyspraxia so I know what you're going through. Diagnosis is hard, but for me it was a very positive thing. The day I got diagnosed as dyspraxic is one of the best days of my life.

Try to look at it as an explanation and not as a problem. It is also a key to support if you're in education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have dyspraxia too! And it's pretty likely that i have ADD as well...
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I have dyspraxia too! And it's pretty likely that i have ADD as well...

Well 50% of dyspraxic people have ADHD. You aren't alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest