The Student Room Group

How to smash your a-levels - a guide written by an A* student

Basically I get loads of messages from people asking for help and I found I was just repeating myself, so I compiled all my a-level wisdom into a booklet that takes like 15 minutes to read through (and easy to reference). I wrote the guide in September before university and was planning to update it at uni, but I haven't really had much time so I don't know if I'll ever update it again (update: I won't update it again). Originally just made it for friends (online and real) but decided to now go a bit more public.

Anyone can do well at a-level, even if you did poorly at GCSE. You just need the motivation and correct techniques. The booklet aims to help you with this.

I got 2A*s 7As an half a B at GCSE. 3A*s at A2. I don't care if you didn't get a single A/A* at GCSE. YOU can change and do well at A-level. You just gotta work hard and smart, and believe in yourself.

here it is --> www.bit.ly/smashalevels
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Nice guide:smile:

Original post by Dylann
Basically I get loads of messages from people asking for help and I found I was just repeating myself, so I compiled all my a-level wisdom into a booklet that takes like 15 minutes to read through (and easy to reference). I wrote the guide in September before university and was planning to update it at uni, but I haven't really had much time so I don't know if I'll ever update it again. Originally just made it for friends (online and real) but decided to now go a bit more public.

Anyone can do well at a-level, even if you did poorly at GCSE. You just need the motivation and correct techniques. The booklet aims to help you with this.

comment below if you have any specific queries about anything
Reply 3
Original post by Dylann
Basically I get loads of messages from people asking for help and I found I was just repeating myself, so I compiled all my a-level wisdom into a booklet that takes like 15 minutes to read through (and easy to reference). I wrote the guide in September before university and was planning to update it at uni, but I haven't really had much time so I don't know if I'll ever update it again. Originally just made it for friends (online and real) but decided to now go a bit more public.

Cracking stuff!
Reply 4
This is perfect. Thanks
this has honestly made me feel so much better about A levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by 543216789

Original post by WaveySamz
Nice guide:smile:

Original post by jamestg
Cracking stuff!

Original post by Psraim
This is perfect. Thanks

Original post by tryrevise
this has honestly made me feel so much better about A levels :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome guys. Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 7
This is great, nice job man :smile:
Original post by Dylann

amazing thank you!!
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Dylann

You should cash in on this ££££
Reply 11
The guide is very informative! Thank you! Just one little thing though... it made me crack up a little... Easter is about Jesus' death and Christmas is about his birth :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by G.Doc.21
The guide is very informative! Thank you! Just one little thing though... it made me crack up a little... Easter is about Jesus' death and Christmas is about his birth :smile:

No worries :smile:

Haha I can't believe I missed that. I just realised it's a pdf so it's a pain to edit, but well done for noticing that!
Thank you soooooo much. This is very much appreciated
Reply 14
Original post by Joiestarxx
Thank you soooooo much. This is very much appreciated

You're welcome :smile:
Your guide is so well-written, that I honestly feel more motivated, so thank you! Also, do you have any specific advice on retaking exams? (I assume you don't have personal experience, but would be interesting to know your take on it)
Brilliant guide! Would definitely recommend to anyone with any worries about their revision!
This is nice of you :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by seasonalskins
Your guide is so well-written, that I honestly feel more motivated, so thank you! Also, do you have any specific advice on retaking exams? (I assume you don't have personal experience, but would be interesting to know your take on it)

Thanks. I don't have experience of A-level resits as you said but I know a lot of people who do. Some people managed to improve their overall grades greatly which is good but others only managed to increase their AS grades and seemed to under-perform in their A2 exams, causing no change or a fall in their overall grades. I would say this - your a-levels are 50% AS and 50% A2, so you should be spending equal amounts of time on each (if not, I would focus more on A2 as it is harder plus the A* is A2-dependent). The A2 theory builds upon AS, it reinforces what you already know. So by focusing on A2 you are sort of revising AS. So yeah, basically time management is very important. You should note that your AS resits will likely be quite a few weeks before your A2s.

Remember what I said about focusing in lessons. Sometimes if you lack the required AS knowledge it will prevent you from fully understanding the new A2 content, so make sure before/after lessons you understand what you need to know for AS about that topic too (obviously this differs for different subjects).

Best of luck!

Original post by Chaz Kirkham
Brilliant guide! Would definitely recommend to anyone with any worries about their revision!

Thanks, please share it with anyone who may find it useful :redface:
Skimmed it so far but looks like good stuff, thanks for sharing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending