The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jeff548
Thanks! :smile:

I don't understand how ATP synthase works entirely either, could you help with that please?

After the electron transport chain, you end up with a situation with a much higher proton concentration in the cytoplasm compared to the inside the matrix of the mitochondrion. So if you open up a channel for protons to flow though they will move in the cytoplasm --> matrix direction. ATP synthase exploits this by having a molecular rotor right next to the proton channel. Protons flowing though turn the rotor (just like a water wheel), and this generates energy which is used to phosphorylate ADP to ATP.

Capture.JPG

For some animations of ATP synthase at work, check out this: http://www.mrc-mbu.cam.ac.uk/projects/2248/molecular-animations-atp-synthase
Original post by Jeff548
Thanks! :smile:

I don't understand how ATP synthase works entirely either, could you help with that please?

I'll do my best but don't worry too much because I don't think you need to go into a lot of detail at higher...
Basically as I posted previously: when the protons (hydrogen ions) are driven across the membrane by high energy electrons and the return flow of the protons synthesis ATP production by the enzyme, ATP synthase, in the membrane.
This is as much as you need to know, but if you want a clearer idea of how it works, the enzyme, in its 'relaxed' state binds ADP and an inorganic phosphate, the flow of protons causes part of the molecule to rotate which provides the energy to induce the binding of the ADP+Pi to ATP.
If I were you though I'd just focus on the part which you need to know so as not to confuse yourself, if you need me to clarify anything I've said just give me a shout

Edit: never mind, Asklepios has beat me to it :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Hey, how have everyone's prelims gone? Just curious to know. Do yours schools buy in your prelim papers and do you know which companies? I think our school uses dart publishers.

My prelim is today and I am cramming like anything
Original post by Jeff548
Hey, how have everyone's prelims gone? Just curious to know. Do yours schools buy in your prelim papers and do you know which companies? I think our school uses dart publishers.

My prelim is today and I am cramming like anything

My prelim was this afternoon and I think it went fine. My school writes their own papers, though. How were your extended response questions?
Reply 84
Original post by Science_Girl
My prelim was this afternoon and I think it went fine. My school writes their own papers, though. How were your extended response questions?

Mine was this afternoon too! It went ok but I am really bad at problem-solving and there was a fair bit of that.

Extended responses, as far as I can remember were:

Lung arrangements in Amphibians and Mammals (I think) 4 marks
OR
Physiological responses in humans to decrease in temperature 4 marks (I did this one)

The last 2 were really common

Discuss either:
A(i) Isolation 4 marks
(ii) Selection 6 marks

OR

B(i) ATP Synthase 4 marks
(ii) Electron Transport Chain 6 marks (I did this one)

What about you? The prelim was easier than I expected, but I don't think I got an A really easily. Maybe just or maybe really high B. I find the problem solving and explain questions really difficult. It's unfair because I do all the revision but can't understand the context questions :frown: :mad:
Original post by Jeff548
Mine was this afternoon too! It went ok but I am really bad at problem-solving and there was a fair bit of that.

Extended responses, as far as I can remember were:

Lung arrangements in Amphibians and Mammals (I think) 4 marks
OR
Physiological responses in humans to decrease in temperature 4 marks (I did this one)

The last 2 were really common

Discuss either:
A(i) Isolation 4 marks
(ii) Selection 6 marks

OR

B(i) ATP Synthase 4 marks
(ii) Electron Transport Chain 6 marks (I did this one)

What about you? The prelim was easier than I expected, but I don't think I got an A really easily. Maybe just or maybe really high B. I find the problem solving and explain questions really difficult. It's unfair because I do all the revision but can't understand the context questions :frown: :mad:

I think my prelim went fine, but other people seem to have found it hard. One of my extended responses was on speciation too and I wrote 2 and a half pages, which might be a bit much :/ I hope I haven't misread questions because I lost heaps of marks because of that in the practice papers I did.

I suppose it is just practise to learn how to did context questions. Good luck with your results for all your prelims! Are you finished them yet?
Reply 86
I think my prelim went fine, but other people seem to have found it hard. One of my extended responses was on speciation too and I wrote 2 and a half pages, which might be a bit much :/ I hope I haven't misread questions because I lost heaps of marks because of that in the practice papers I did.

I suppose it is just practise to learn how to did context questions. Good luck with your results for all your prelims! Are you finished them yet?

Thank you! No, I still have Physics and Chemistry left and will get my results week beginning Monday 15th February :smile:

Yeah misreading the questions is so frustrating! Are you any good at the problem-solving questions? If so then how do you practice for them? Because I Suck with a capital S at them
Original post by Jeff548
Thank you! No, I still have Physics and Chemistry left and will get my results week beginning Monday 15th February :smile:

Yeah misreading the questions is so frustrating! Are you any good at the problem-solving questions? If so then how do you practice for them? Because I Suck with a capital S at them

I suppose just practise like anything else. You can probably get books that have some tips and practice questions and online is always a good resource. Sites like scholar might be good if your school is signed up to it (my school has). It has study notes etc. for all my subjects except English. I'm not sure about problem solving though.
Reply 88
I suppose just practise like anything else. You can probably get books that have some tips and practice questions and online is always a good resource. Sites like scholar might be good if your school is signed up to it (my school has). It has study notes etc. for all my subjects except English. I'm not sure about problem solving though.

Thanks, yeah we've Scholar too. Is it just me or are you not great at the problem solving kind of questions either? Because I am good at the questions requiring knowledge but otherwise not so much and for some reason in Biology there are many on the spot type questions.
Original post by Jeff548
Thanks, yeah we've Scholar too. Is it just me or are you not great at the problem solving kind of questions either? Because I am good at the questions requiring knowledge but otherwise not so much and for some reason in Biology there are many on the spot type questions.

It's kind of luck of the draw for me. Sometimes I get what it's asking straight away, but sometimes I have to puzzle it out. If that's the case I usually skip it and come back to it later. That way I don't waste heaps of time on them.
Has anyone done their assignment?? (And what on?)
Reply 91
Yeah assignment on enzymes.
Reply 92
Hey if anyone can help please do it's urgent,

doing my chemistry assignment and am on the evaluation. I have already done my Biology assignment and only now thought of this.
Does the evaluation only have to be things to improve the experiment or can you say why it was accurate as well? Because on sqa marks scheme it says:

So I am confused if you only get marks for saying how to improve it? So like can you say that your investigation is more accurate since you repeated it or because you controlled certain variables (obviously you would explain this).

Btw, I normally include both, why it's accurate and why it's not, but most of my points are only on why it is accurate.

Please help, absolutely ******* ******** myself now Already done Bio assignment and fearing I might have done it wrong

What have you guys written? Both, or just improvements?

******************************** ******************************** *HELP IT'S URGENT************************** ******************************** *******
Reply 93
Original post by Jeff548

doing my chemistry assignment and am on the evaluation. I have already done my Biology assignment and only now thought of this.
Does the evaluation only have to be things to improve the experiment or can you say why it was accurate as well? Because on sqa marks scheme it says:

So I am confused if you only get marks for saying how to improve it? So like can you say that your investigation is more accurate since you repeated it or because you controlled certain variables (obviously you would explain this).

Btw, I normally include both, why it's accurate and why it's not, but most of my points are only on why it is accurate.

Please help, absolutely ******* ******** myself now Already done Bio assignment and fearing I might have done it wrong

******************************** ******************************** *HELP IT'S URGENT************************** ******************************** *******

I'm not an SQA marker or anything but when we did that Learning Outcome write up that you need to pass in chemistry, I think our teacher made sure we had done both, so I'm assuming it will be the same for the actual assignment.
Original post by Jeff548

I don't know what the sqa specifically want, but you should talk about both the advantages and limitations of your chosen techniques in any scientific report. And you also want discuss whether or not your results are to be believed or not
Reply 95
Oh right, thanks so much :smile:
Reply 96
I had a question on unit 3:

"Self-pollinating plants are naturally inbreeding and less susceptible to inbreeding depression due to the elimination of deleterious alleles by natural selection."

I don't get how natural selection occurs in plants?!?!? Someone explain please? Especially if its self pollinating then how the **** is there natural selection (survival of the fittest)?!?!?

Also, how do self pollinating plants inbreed? Does it just mean that the pollen produced then combines with the female gamete in that plant? What happens when a plant reproduces?

Thanks
Reply 97
Stuck again:

"In outbreeding species, inbreeding depression is avoided by selecting for the desired characteristic while maintaining an otherwise genetically diverse population."

Wtf does this whole thing mean? For the underlined part, selecting for desired characteristic is just inbreeding isn't it? SO HOW THE ACTUAL 0HOWABFIBSBISUBDICBJDIH 0WKBCKDH09E DOES THIS AVOID INBREEDING DEPRESSION!?!?!?!?!?

Can someone please explain both this and above in the simplest and retarded way possible for me to understand
Original post by Jeff548
I had a question on unit 3:

"Self-pollinating plants are naturally inbreeding and less susceptible to inbreeding depression due to the elimination of deleterious alleles by natural selection."

I don't get how natural selection occurs in plants?!?!? Someone explain please? Especially if its self pollinating then how the **** is there natural selection (survival of the fittest)?!?!?

Also, how do self pollinating plants inbreed? Does it just mean that the pollen produced then combines with the female gamete in that plant? What happens when a plant reproduces?

Thanks

I'm not a plant biologist, but here is my understanding anyway:

Many plants are hermaphroditic - that is the same individual has both male (stamens) and female (carpals) sex organs. It is possible, therefore, for the pollen of a plant to fertilise its own ovums. This is inbreeding because you have crossing of the exact same genotype.

Normally inbreeding is bad, because there is a lack of variation and hence the species may not be able to adapt to a changing environment. Another risk is the chance of two deleterious recessive alleles coming together (homozygosity). However this isn't to say there is no variation at all. Variation can be generated by genetic recombination events at meiosis ("crossing over") and also by random mutations. Because self-pollinating plants are "used to inbreeding" these mechanisms should be enough for natural selection.
Original post by Jeff548
Stuck again:

"In outbreeding species, inbreeding depression is avoided by selecting for the desired characteristic while maintaining an otherwise genetically diverse population."

Wtf does this whole thing mean? For the underlined part, selecting for desired characteristic is just inbreeding isn't it? SO HOW THE ACTUAL 0HOWABFIBSBISUBDICBJDIH 0WKBCKDH09E DOES THIS AVOID INBREEDING DEPRESSION!?!?!?!?!?

Can someone please explain both this and above in the simplest and retarded way possible for me to understand

Yes selecting for a particular desired characteristic would involve inbreeding. But the statement is saying is that we must ALSO maintain genetic diversity. So once you have a plant homozygous for the desired characteristic created by incrossing, you can outcross it in order to put the characteristic onto a more diverse genetic background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending