The Student Room Group

Sociology

Theories developed many years ago in a different historical context are still seen by modern social theorists as relevant in modern times/society today.. why?
Original post by teresaoneill_x
Theories developed many years ago in a different historical context are still seen by modern social theorists as relevant in modern times/society today.. why?

I'm a sociology student and most of those theories can be criticised for not being applicable to modern society. Some still are though as some aspects of society are similar and haven't changed much. Mostly looked at in conjuction with newer theories which build on past ideas though...
Original post by teresaoneill_x
Maybe you will understand this better than me and can help me lol maybe I cut it down wrong hahaha 'What is fascinating and needs explaining is the wayin which classical sociological ideas, many of which were produced over a 140years ago in different historical and cultural contexts, are still seen bycontemporary social theorists as relevant to the explanation of societytoday'. Discuss this claim withreference to the classical theorists you have studied.

ooh okay so it's an essay/dissertation you have to do?

Presumably you need to pick some of the sociologists you have studied and say why their specific theory is still relevant today and why it isn't.

For Example with Karl Marx: His claims that society is based on the exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie can (arguably) still be seen as relevant today evidenced by the existing class divide and it's implications on capitalism.
Original post by Guardianbright
ooh okay so it's an essay/dissertation you have to do?

Presumably you need to pick some of the sociologists you have studied and say why their specific theory is still relevant today and why it isn't.

For Example with Karl Marx: His claims that society is based on the exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie can (arguably) still be seen as relevant today evidenced by the existing class divide and it's implications on capitalism.

Yeah an essay
oh yeah ok thank you soo much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending