The Student Room Group

Get a debate in Parliament over Trump - support the petition!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
I wasn't aware of this petition but would have signed it if I had been. That man wants acceptance now, he wants unity. I find that to be extremely ironic because not only did he do whatever he could to make harder for Obama, who won the electoral college and the popular vote both times, but he also built a campaign on hatred and pitting communities against each other. He has no right to call for unity until he admits to his part in the division and accepts full responsibility for his actions, along with unequivocally condemning the actions of the KKK and those similar to them who are now emboldened by his election. Until then the people who refuse to acknowledge him as their ruler are right, as he his actions display that he does not want to be the ruler of his entire country.

But we couldn't expect that from an spoilt man-child who will never admit he is wrong.

I suppose you would've protested Obama's win here then?

Original post by Praise KEK
I suppose you would've protested Obama's win here then?

I wouldn't have blamed Clinton's supporters for protesting back then if they had.

But as I already stated: I do not support this petition because Trump lost the popular vote. I support it because of his hypocrisy (his expectations after Obama won vs his expectations now) and his campaign of hatred, with his refusal to take responsibility in his part in dividing his country even more.
Reply 542
Original post by WBZ144
I wouldn't have blamed Clinton's supporters for protesting back then if they had.

But as I already stated: I do not support this petition because Trump lost the popular vote. I support it because of his hypocrisy (his expectations after Obama won vs his expectations now) and his campaign of hatred, with his refusal to take responsibility in his part in dividing his country even more.

It's weird I would think you were pretty hot if you weren't such a bitter leftist 🤔
Reply 543
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The final total was 586,000, which is a bit different to 100,000.

I'm pretty sure it was in the millions then got slashed because of fraudulent signatures? If you can't beat the US I suppose we should just become them. That's been the moral of the petition
Original post by WBZ144
Get on TV and take full responsibility for the fact that he played a major role in fuelling this division and assure everyone that he will do what he can to make it right. That's what a real leader and a grown-up would do, not seek to blame others and feed into conspiracy theories about how the protesters are paid.

You could say the same about Nelson Mandela.

This is not a White Nationalist post, I have no personal investment in the Afrikaans nor do I have a personal disliking of Khoisans or Bantus. The world is a struggle between varying competing interests rather than your narrative of big bad rich White man. I could argue that Hillary Clinton inp particular has a far darker history on her treatment of Black people, campaigning for an anti-civil rights Republican president (Goldwater), use of language such as''superpredators'' when referring to African-American youths to justify her husband's harsh policies.

Remind me of Trump's ''racism''.

1. Wants to build a wall, basically he wants to enforce America's prexisting immigration laws, which might I remind you are based on civic rather than racial distinctions.

2. Wants to ban Muslims. I won't insult your intelligence by using the ''Islam isn't a race'' argument, I'm not one of these cowardly White leftists, but actually a targeted immigration policy which screens people from particularly troublesome parts of the world is probably the most sane thing I have ever heard in my life.
Original post by l'etranger
You could say the same about Nelson Mandela.

This is not a White Nationalist post, I have no personal investment in the Afrikaans nor do I have a personal disliking of Khoisans or Bantus. The world is a struggle between varying competing interests rather than your narrative of big bad rich White man. I could argue that Hillary Clinton inp particular has a far darker history on her treatment of Black people, campaigning for an anti-civil rights Republican president (Goldwater), use of language such as''superpredators'' when referring to African-American youths to justify her husband's harsh policies.

Remind me of Trump's ''racism''.

1. Wants to build a wall, basically he wants to enforce America's prexisting immigration laws, which might I remind you are based on civic rather than racial distinctions.

2. Wants to ban Muslims. I won't insult your intelligence by using the ''Islam isn't a race'' argument, I'm not one of these cowardly White leftists, but actually a targeted immigration policy which screens people from particularly troublesome parts of the world is probably the most sane thing I have ever heard in my life.

I heard what Clinton said but there is a big difference: she publicly admitted that she was wrong to use the word "superpredators" and apologised for it. Why is it too much to ask to expect Trump to do the same? Or is he held to lower standards than everyone else in terms of human decency?

This man had a lawsuit against him for discriminating against African Americans and refusing to rent property to them. He said that a Latin American judge couldn't do his job properly because he was "Mexican" and started to rant about how this was why he needed to "build that wall", he lied about thousands of Arab Americans celebrating on rooftops on 9/11 in New Jersey. This was later refuted by the New Jersey police but by then the damage is done, as many would have heard his lies, believed them and used them to justify hatred for Arab Americans. He has repeatedly retweeted false stats from White supremacist Twitter pages and now he even has appointed one of them (Steve Bannon) as his Chief Strategist. That's not the smartest move to make when you want to unite the people after dividing them. David Duke and his cronies are now celebrating, claiming that he is empowering them and giving them a voice.
Original post by WBZ144
I heard what Clinton said but there is a big difference: she publicly admitted that she was wrong to use the word "superpredators" and apologised for it. Why is it too much to ask to expect Trump to do the same? Or is he held to lower standards than everyone else in terms of human decency?

This man had a lawsuit against him for discriminating against African Americans and refusing to rent property to them. He said that a Latin American judge couldn't do his job properly because he was "Mexican" and started to rant about how this was why he needed to "build that wall", he lied about thousands of Arab Americans celebrating on rooftops on 9/11 in New Jersey. This was later refuted by the New Jersey police but by then the damage is done, as many would have heard his lies, believed them and used them to justify hatred for Arab Americans. He has repeatedly retweeted false stats from White supremacist Twitter pages and now he even has appointed one of them (Steve Bannon) as his Chief Strategist. That's not the smartest move to make when you want to unite the people after dividing them. David Duke and his cronies are now celebrating, claiming that he is empowering them and giving them a voice.

If he's convicted of the lawsuit I will say he is racist, but none of the other matters are even close to racism. If the Nation of Islam were to celebrate an Obama win, does that make Obama a terrorist?
If he's convicted of the lawsuit I will say he is racist, but none of the other matters are even close to racism. If the Nation of Islam were to celebrate an Obama win, does that make Obama a terrorist?

Was Obama posed with the question on whether or not he denounces them yet refused to do so? That is what Trump did with David Duke, until his campaign decided to do some damage control. What that tells some of us is that he doesn't care that he is emboldening these people, as long as he has their support. And the other examples that I gave don't prove racism or even possible racism? Really?

Anyway, here is the old article. The government agreed to settle the case under the agreement that he would train employees about their obligations under the Fair Housing Act, which is telling.
http://www.nytimes.com/1973/10/16/archives/major-landlord-accused-of-antiblack-bias-in-city-us-accuses-major.html
Original post by WBZ144
And the other examples that I gave don't prove racism or even possible racism? Really?

No they don't. Trump is fully within his rights to argue that the judges background might compromise the outcome of the case. Islamic terrorists have often refused to be tried by Jewish judges, yet the only time anyone makes a fuss over this sort of thinking is when it's the brash White man with the golden tan.
No they don't. Trump is fully within his rights to argue that the judges background might compromise the outcome of the case. Islamic terrorists have often refused to be tried by Jewish judges, yet the only time anyone makes a fuss over this sort of thinking is when it's the brash White man with the golden tan.

*Orange tan

Why would he assume that a Latin American judge would have something against him? And how many Islamist terrorists have been elected as leader of the free world?
Original post by WBZ144
*Orange tan

I'm not one to judge him by the colour of his skin.

Original post by WBZ144
Why would he assume that a Latin American judge would have something against him?

He may have family who wish to enter the US from Mexico. It's a conflict of interests.

Original post by WBZ144

And how many Islamist terrorists have been elected as leader of the free world?

Whether or not they've been elected president is a complete irrelevance to whether their choices are racist.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not one to judge him by the colour of his skin.

It's not the real colour of his skin.

He may have family who wish to enter the US from Mexico. It's a conflict of interests.

I'm sorry but there is no evidence whatsoever to support that. So if Trump were to assume that this was the case, it's just another example of prejudice. Any judge could have a family from overseas who he/she want to come to America. Making assumptions about the man on the basis of his ethnicity is racism.

Whether or not they've been elected president is a complete irrelevance to whether their choices are racist.

These are people who are reviled by almost everyone, that is why I find it odd that you would use them as an example of how people are being unfair to Trump. When one of them gets rewarded for their bigotry and elected to rule the world's most powerful nation then the comparison becomes more coherent.
Original post by WBZ144
It's not the real colour of his skin.

Maybe he sexually identifies as a tangerine.

Original post by WBZ144
I'm sorry but there is no evidence whatsoever to support that. So if Trump were to assume that this was the case, it's just another example of prejudice. Any judge could have a family from overseas who he/she want to come to America. Making assumptions about the man on the basis of his ethnicity is racism.

If that judge specifically has family who could be affected by Trump's policy, regardless of race, it's not appropriate to have them on the case.

Original post by WBZ144
These are people who are reviled by almost everyone, that is why I find it odd that you would use them as an example of how people are being unfair to Trump. When one of them gets rewarded for their bigotry and elected to rule the world's most powerful nation then the comparison becomes more coherent.

Nobody criticises Asians or Arabs for their racism, it is something which is only ever applied to White people and it annoys me frankly.
(edited 7 years ago)
If that judge specifically has family who could be affected by Trump's policy, regardless of race, it's not appropriate to have them on the case.

Like I said: there's no evidence that he does, so why make an assumption on the basis of his ethnicity?

Nobody criticises Asians or Arabs for their racism, it is something which is only ever applied to White people and it annoys me frankly.

I have seen criticism of the caste system in South Asian countries numerous times, as well as the treatment of foreign workers in Gulf Middle Eastern countries. That was the topic of my dissertation. You just probably don't see these criticisms because you feel that it doesn't affect you but they certainly do.

What has that got to do with Trump's racism? He wants to lead all people, like he said. He wants a unified country, like he said. How does he expect to get these things when his actions are contrary to his words?
Original post by WBZ144
Like I said: there's no evidence that he does, so why make an assumption on the basis of his ethnicity?

It's not ethnicity but the means by which he obtained his citizenship, it was through naturalisation rather than generations of Latino-Americans. What is so telling is how you assume it is due to race rather than a genuine and possible conflict of interests which may arise due to proposed policies which could affect the family of one party concerned.

Original post by WBZ144
I have seen criticism of the caste system in South Asian countries numerous times, as well as the treatment of foreign workers in Gulf Middle Eastern countries. That was the topic of my dissertation. You just probably don't see these criticisms because you feel that it doesn't affect you but they certainly do.

It's the Western phenomena of treating Whites as if racism is our original sin which is the reason I take such issue. I am aware of South Asians who fight the caste system was well as efforts to fight racism in the gulf and I fully support these things, but frankly aside from Black people who grew up in the Weest, Whites are probably the least racist people in the world.

Original post by WBZ144
What has that got to do with Trump's racism? He wants to lead all people, like he said. He wants a unified country, like he said. How does he expect to get these things when his actions are contrary to his words?

Most of his criticisms have been targeted at illegal immigrants many of whom negatively affect actual Latino American citizens who have done the right thing. Trump's support from Latinos was much higher than expected because these people are sick to death of the cartels who have been ruining their lives just as they bring crime to the streets of America in general.
It's not ethnicity but the means by which he obtained his citizenship, it was through naturalisation rather than generations of Latino-Americans. What is so telling is how you assume it is due to race rather than a genuine and possible conflict of interests which may arise due to proposed policies which could affect the family of one party concerned.

The reason I assume that it's because of his ethnicity is because of Trump's own admission. He flat out said that the judge was biased because he was "Mexican". Not every Latin American has obtained his/her citizenship via naturalisation, many have not. So why assume that the judge obtained his that way when there is no evidence to suggest that he did?

It's the Western phenomena of treating Whites as if racism is our original sin which is the reason I take such issue. I am aware of South Asians who fight the caste system was well as efforts to fight racism in the gulf and I fully support these things, but frankly aside from Black people who grew up in the Weest, Whites are probably the least racist people in the world.

And treating Arabs and South Asians as though they are terrorists, especially if they are Muslims. And treating Blacks as though we are criminals/gang members. Everyone faces stereotypes, the thing is that Trump is not being accused because he is White but because of things that he has said and done. Do you know how much crap that Obama got when he was elected which was completely unwarranted? Trump started a birtherism movement against him because he wasn't White, there were conspiracy theories that he was a "secret Muslim" (why that was supposed to be the worst thing in the world, I don't know), that he was secretly trying to implement Sharia law. And these were not based on his words an actions.

Most of his criticisms have been targeted at illegal immigrants many of whom negatively affect actual Latino American citizens who have done the right thing. Trump's support from Latinos was much higher than expected because these people are sick to death of the cartels who have been ruining their lives just as they bring crime to the streets of America in general.

I have given a number of examples which show him targeting people other than illegal immigrants. That is enough to create the division that we see now and cause people to believe that he doesn't want to be the president of all people. If he doesn't want to man up and admit his mistakes, why should the people protesting let bygones be bygones?
(edited 7 years ago)
How about no :u:
All this talk of blocking his visit (in the case of the original push talked about in the OP or the more recent attempt to block him from his state visit) is the most childish nonsense I've ever seen in politics. You are acting like a cry baby by trying to block the POTUS from visiting the UK. I can understand it as a sentiment that teens might hold, but as an idea which adults would foster? Unthinkably pathetic.
Original post by WBZ144
The reason I assume that it's because of his ethnicity is because of Trump's own admission. He flat out said that the judge was biased because he was "Mexican".

The judge is/was literally a member of La Raza (translated: THE RACE), a group that actively advocates for Mexican interests. La Raza is a huge organisation which receives absolutely no quarrel for its overt racial policies and aims. Now imagine if some white judge was part of the KKK and tried to rule against something a POC put forward - you'd probably hear a lot about it! Fact is, he wouldn't even be a judge in the first place. Blatant double standard.

And treating Blacks as though we are criminals/gang members.

Hmmm... Let the statistics speak for themselves. 6% of the population in the US (black males aged 16-39 or something very close to that) commit 50% of all violent crimes in the US. Vast majority of gun violence is perpetrated by gangs, which are predominantly black or hispanic. This doesn't mean that all blacks or hispanics are criminals, duh, but it does speak to the fact that these stereotypes don't appear out of thin air. For more info, look up the 'colour of crime' report that the FBI used to do - up until the last few years because it was considered racist in that it was showing a rather unfavourable picture of the contributions of blacks in the US. Let it be said, that (East) Asians (like Chinese, Japanese, Korean) were found to commit less crime than whites - so it was by no means biased towards white people.

Do you know how much crap that Obama got when he was elected which was completely unwarranted? Trump started a birtherism movement against him because he wasn't White,

This isn't true. You're just reading into his motivations, in an unfalsifiable way. He did the exact same thing with Ted Cruz during the primaries. Nothing racial about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending