The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
There's also Smalling, and given it was organised back in March the final could've easily been 2 from United/Arsenal/Chelsea meaning 8+ players missing, or both first choice CBs missing leaving only 1 in the squad, etc. Seems like pointless disruption to the preparation

The squad has 26 players.

Smalling doesn't need to play any friendlies.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
If Vardy is so dead-aim as in Leicester, the English squad has a good striker for the EURO. What about Rooney? does he really play in midfield?

Judging from the F. A. Cup final, not only does he play in midfield, but he plays like he did at Euro 2004 in midfield.
Original post by b.wldn
I'm from France so Allez les Bleus! It's France's year this year, going to be our 3rd Euro Cup, mark my words. With the young talent of players including Pogba, Griezmann and Matuidi (much more too) we have a squad that will last a generation.:h:

Tbh even the French squad NOT going to the Euros would stand a good chance of winning. Ridiculous depth.

Ruffier
Debuchy Laporte Zouma Kurzawa
Rabiot Schneiderlin
Lacazette Ben Arfa Ribery
Benzema

Subs: Areola, Umtiti, Tremoulinas, Kondogbia, Fekir, Gameiro, Dembele

Yes I know Ribery has retired
Reply 383
You could see France's squad evolving from the world cup personally. I had France down as potential World cup winners after seeing the first team.

Original post by sr90
Tbh even the French squad NOT going to the Euros would stand a good chance of winning. Ridiculous depth.

Ruffier
Debuchy Laporte Zouma Kurzawa
Rabiot Schneiderlin
Lacazette Ben Arfa Ribery
Benzema

Subs: Areola, Umtiti, Tremoulinas, Kondogbia, Fekir, Gameiro, Dembele

Yes I know Ribery has retired

You also forgot Sakho.
Always cringe when England's Korea-esque anthem plays.
Reply 385
Calhanoglu can take a heck of a free-kick.

[video="youtube;TUoTLBWnzQE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUoTLBWnzQE[/video]
Reply 386
As usual, England don't have any sort of personnel in the middle and it is always left to one player to attempt to cover most of the pitch. In this instance, Dier is having to cover Wilshere, Ali, Sterling and Vardy deciding that they can only play within 10 yards of the opposition box.
Wow, Vardy really knows how to dive. I don't know whether we should be chastising him for it or applauding him, because other teams are gonna do this too.

He knows when and how to go into the defender so that he gets 'tripped'. Never intends to have a shot though.
Original post by Neverdie
Wow, Vardy really knows how to dive. I don't know whether we should be chastising him for it or applauding him, because other teams are gonna do this too.

He knows when and how to go into the defender so that he gets 'tripped'. Never intends to have a shot though.

Forcing a defender to foul you is not diving.
Kane is playing dreadfully. I'll personally buy Sterling a return ticket from Basel. Wilshere can **** off too.

Woy showing his colours, the old owl.
Original post by Neverdie

Original post by mojojojo101

I don't believe the rule book says that if you move your legs into the defender's way so that he 'trips' you that it's a foul.
Little known stat: Vardy's goal means, if the scores stay the same, this will be the 100th time England have been a bit crap so they could make a 'heroic' comeback in a friendly since Sven first took charge.
Christ Kane is so terrible - has absolutely no idea of what passing entails whatsoever. Clear why he's only got 1 assist all season when all he seems to know is wild shot from 40 yards.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Christ Kane is so terrible - has absolutely no idea of what passing entails whatsoever. Clear why he's only got 1 assist all season when all he seems to know is wild shot from 40 yards.

He's scored 5 in 11 England games, top scorer in the Premier League with 46 in his last 70 league games.

Ruud van Nistelrooy wasn't much of a passer either.

Aguero has a grand total of 2 assists, does that mean he is also terrible?
Original post by samir12
Aguero has a grand total of 2 assists, does that mean he is also terrible?

Aguero at least sort of gets involved in linkup play. Twice in stoppage time England could have killed them off - Drinkwater-Vardy-Kane excellent link up, then rather than lay it off to the midfielder coming up outside in support, Kane takes a shot where he's not got the room to get something properly away. At the end, 5 on 2, quick ball and Vardys in, dallies on it, Vardy has to rock back onto his heels to avoid being offside and then Kane plays it. Golden chance spurned by Kanes inability to not be a greedy **** and actually play as part of a team.
Play Kane and Vardy up front in a proper two striker system ffs. Diamond might be our best option given our options on the wing, or 5-2-1-2.

Btw, Kane put Vardy through on goal early in the game.
Aguero at least sort of gets involved in linkup play. Twice in stoppage time England could have killed them off - Drinkwater-Vardy-Kane excellent link up, then rather than lay it off to the midfielder coming up outside in support, Kane takes a shot where he's not got the room to get something properly away. At the end, 5 on 2, quick ball and Vardys in, dallies on it, Vardy has to rock back onto his heels to avoid being offside and then Kane plays it. Golden chance spurned by Kanes inability to not be a greedy **** and actually play as part of a team.

Sounds like the manager's to blame for telling Kane to link up. Evidently he's a poacher, and what a poacher. Scored for England again.

59 goals in the last 2 seasons though. The son of man can do no wrong

Quick Reply

Latest