The Student Room Group

Euro 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Benzema would have converted at least one of Giroud's chances.
Original post by jamierogers21
I'm guessing you're Welsh, what's your prediction for tomorrow. Not heard a Welsh perspective on the game yet:smile:

I think it will probably be a tight game. I thought both England and Wales played fairly well in their opening matches, even though England only managed to get a draw.

I believe the big difference is that Wales seem to have a system that they are happy with, whereas Woy still doesn't seem to be settled with his set-up. Also given that the Wales set-up is very compact, it will be interesting to see whether Rooney will be able to have the same impact as he did against Russia.

I think Wales will settle for a draw, but i don't think England will, so for that reason i think it could go either way. I certainly don't think there is an out right favourite to win.
My word France got lucky there.

Albania desperately unlucky not to score - the ball hits the post and bounces off the striker's head for a goal kick...
Reply 1183
Jesus how many chances does it take for Giroud to score?
France will score a late winner, absolutely nailed on
Original post by sr90

put the bank balance on it? lol.
Reply 1186
Original post by Manchester United
Alli is the other difference maker, albeit he was relatively poor against Russia.

We are extremely weak on the wings; Lallana is basically a work-horse and Sterling is used to stretch the opposition defence, however they both lack end product. If we could play 3-atb then a great system would be to use wing-backs to create width rather than sub-standard wingers. This would allow us to have two strikers, Kane and a runner (Vardy, Sturridge or Rashford), which causes problems for the opposition defence.

Given the weakness of our group, I would have just played 4-4-2 diamond, and pushed the full-backs forward, thus leaving 2 CB's and 1 DM to prevent counters, which is a slightly weaker defensive system than 3 CB's and 1 DM in the 3-atb system.

Against tougher opponents, playing with 2 strikers is still preferable, as we could exploit Vardy's pace on the break and use Kane as the out-ball.

Therefore either way I do not think we should be playing 4-3-3 because of our weakness on the wings; it may be more exciting but I do not trust Sterling and Lallana to finish their chances and create clear cut opportunities for Kane.

Yeah so you play Sturridge on the wing. Sterling stretch defences and Sturridge and Kane are the finishers. 4-4-2 diamond worked well partially because of Delph who was able to transfer defence into attack(similar to Matuidi for France) but Delph is not available so England look lost in transition especially when Rooney is playing in midfield.

Also 3atb works when you have good ball playing defenders. Their system(Italy because that's where you got the idea from) is reliant on Bonucci's long balls, while Barzagli and Chiellini are great at stepping out of defence and being an extra midfielder. At most Stones is the only player who is decent at this. Smalling can do that sometimes but he's not great at ball playing.

Plus if you've watched England vs Portugal, they only looked good with the introduction of Sterling and Wilshere as they had no width or ability to play through that defence.
Pogba ****ed that chance up. Should have passed it.
Original post by joey11223
put the bank balance on it? lol.

Best not. If France don't score he'll just delete the entire thread again so no one can see his fact-prediction.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Best not. If France don't score he'll just delete the entire thread again so no one can see his fact-prediction.

eh he's on the money this time lol.
Griezman breaks the Albanian hearts
Original post by sr90

Called it
Original post by sr90
Called it

winners mate, semi-accurate.
France with another wasteful performance, bailed out by late goals.
Obviously a win is a win but let's be honest here, they've only just beaten Romania and Albania.

They really need to improve if they have any hope against the better teams...
Look out guys, someone predicted the favourites would win it in a manner that has already been done in half the matches played so far, including by the same team a few days ago.
Spain my favourites so far despite being unconvincing. Have been since the start for me anyway.

France doing what Brazil did in the World Cup.

I favoured Germany in the World Cup but think they will come unstuck against Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1196
Spain for me too.
Once France start clicking they will go far in this competition
It's our year this year, 2016 has France's name written on it.
France have been lucky so far, if they continue playing at this level, they wont go far.

Spain and Germany look strong.

Quick Reply

Latest