The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think it matters....although if one was to be more appealing than the other i would assume Bsc would be purely because science based degrees seem to be in more demand (i think there are more arts graduates...not sure though). However Oxford give out BA's for their course even though it has a lot of science in it so therefore i really don't think it will matter.
At some unis I applied to you had the choice whether you wanted BA or BSc.

If I had chosen id have gone for BSc. Simply because Id rather have a BSc than a BA
Reply 3
For further career in Psychology a Bsc is more beneficial in that it's not just studing Zimbardo and Milgram for three years...
Reply 4
The Bsc having more maths and science in it? Therefore greater value post dgree?
Reply 5
Chrrye
The Bsc having more maths and science in it? Therefore greater value post dgree?

Yep.
Reply 6
It is definitely worth going for the BSC because it is unlikely that the British Psychological Society (the officially recognised professional body of psychologists) will accept a BA course because it does not cover the maths and science elements in sufficient depth.
Reply 7
The only university I know of that offers both BA and BSC in psychology is Sheffield. However, they made it very clear that it's the same course. They just wanted the course to show up in both arts brochures and science brochures.. Don't ask me specifics as I have no idea... :smile:
Reply 8
Deus
The only university I know of that offers both BA and BSC in psychology is Sheffield. However, they made it very clear that it's the same course. They just wanted the course to show up in both arts brochures and science brochures.. Don't ask me specifics as I have no idea... :smile:

Quite a few offers both, including Lancaster.
Personally, I've gone for BSc - because it offers a more varied career path post-degree.
Reply 9
BSc. better post uni oppurtunities.
Reply 10
January Victim
BSc. better post uni oppurtunities.

Why?
It's a science degree. if you wanted to stay in psychology, you could do research, study a bit more and become a teacher, etc.

if you branch out, you can work in HR, Sports, Industries etc. Plus most employers are less likely to turn you down if you have a science based degree.
Reply 12
They are the same degree! A Psychology BSC doesn't have more science, just as with a Psychology BA nobody's going to ask you to explain Zimbardo on canvas (fun as it sounds :wink: )

It'll be the same course materiel whichever you choose - just up to you which exciting combination you'd like after your name :smile:
Reply 13
January Victim
It's a science degree. if you wanted to stay in psychology, you could do research, study a bit more and become a teacher, etc.

if you branch out, you can work in HR, Sports, Industries etc. Plus most employers are less likely to turn you down if you have a science based degree.

Why are they less likely to? Some uni's offer BA's but the course is still very scientific e.g. Oxford.:confused:
Exeter offers Ba and BSc and they are exactly the same course - you can choose which title you want.
Reply 15
All depends on the type of work youre wanting after graduation i guess
Reply 16
I studied psychology at 2 universities.

At both Nottingham and Newcastle, you applied to a BA or BSc on the basis of your choice of A levels. However, the only difference between the two degrees was the award at the end - everyone was taught as one group and you could change from BA to BSc (or vice versa) by simply emailing the head of department.

I believe that Newcastle no longer offers a BA (my year was the last time it was offered).

So from my experience, there is no difference between the BSc and the BA.
Reply 17
India07
They are the same degree! A Psychology BSC doesn't have more science, just as with a Psychology BA nobody's going to ask you to explain Zimbardo on canvas (fun as it sounds :wink: )

It'll be the same course materiel whichever you choose - just up to you which exciting combination you'd like after your name :smile:

The potential employer doesn't know that though.

All they know is that generally speaking Bsc's are harder/better/whatever.
I think you'll find that at most institutions the BA and BSc are exactly the same course.

For this reason I'd go for the BSc simply because it looks better.
Reply 19
Agreed. Most BSc and BA courses are exactly the same. BA doesn't hold any less weight. For instance, experimental psychology and oxford is a BA degree course :smile:

Latest