The Student Room Group

Could anyone go to a university with IB Certificates?

Hello there. I was told that IB Certificate will be good for me as I have taken the hard subjects such as Maths HL, Chem HL, Physics HL and English SL. Its my first year and my first term has finished so having the holiday and then my second term will start. Doing some research I came to this point where I keep seeing that taking IB certificates is useless. I really feel broken now I feel like Im lost I want to go to a good university in Australia or in Uk (maybe) Im really tensed and feel like crying can you please help me I really need some help! Is there anything that you think I need to take or could switch or you think is fine or need to take some other things in addition? Please do guide me through it. Thank you so much!

[Please if you could please don't say like "I'm doing IB Diploma and Im happy with it", "Certificates are useless", etc. it definitely hurts reading them because I was not told these things before by my teachers, they said its good and because I wont be able to cope with the DP, certificates will be good because I will be focusing more into it. They didn't tell me about the universities. You don't know what I feel like I feel like ending my life now. So, please help me. Is there anything I could do? ]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ayairani12
Hello there. I was told that IB Certificate will be good for me as I have taken the hard subjects such as Maths HL, Chem HL, Physics HL and English SL. Its my first year and my first term has finished so having the holiday and then my second term will start.. Doing some research I came to this point where I keep seeing that taking IB certificates is useless. I really feel broken now I feel like Im lost I want to go to a good university in Australia or in Uk (maybe) Im really tensed and feel like crying can you please help me I really need some help! Is there anything that you think I need to take or could switch or you think is fine or need to take some other things in addition? Please do guide me through it. Thank you so much!

I'm doing the full IB Diploma and I couldn't be happier with my decision! I have some friends who are doing certificates but they're doing it more for the reason that they love those subjects rather than because it'll help them get into uni. Unis usually have a cutoff requirement for ex 36 points.. So i don't really see the use of certificates unless you're really passionate about the subjects
Reply 2
Original post by nataliek98
I'm doing the full IB Diploma and I couldn't be happier with my decision! I have some friends who are doing certificates but they're doing it more for the reason that they love those subjects rather than because it'll help them get into uni. Unis usually have a cutoff requirement for ex 36 points.. So i don't really see the use of certificates unless you're really passionate about the subjects

So, according to you what I should do you think will be good? For me now, I have just finished the first semester. My teachers were saying that it will be tough to take all the subjects and core ones which are TOK, EE, CAS. Sometimes, you might not as well get the diploma we never know so end up with the certificates thats how my teacher told me and then made me change to certificates! Now I regret it so much and i literally don't know at all what I can do Im so lost and confused. Have good advice you can think of maybe?
So, according to you what I should do you think will be good? For me now, I have just finished the first semester. My teachers were saying that it will be tough to take all the subjects and core ones which are TOK, EE, CAS. Sometimes, you might not as well get the diploma we never know so end up with the certificates thats how my teacher told me and then made me change to certificates! Now I regret it so much and i literally don't know at all what I can do Im so lost and confused. Have good advice you can think of maybe?

Is there anyway you can start doing the diploma now?
Would you be able to restart the grade you're in next September?
TOK and EE aren't so important, they give you bonus points - but as long as you would pass, they aren't so necessary.
Reply 4
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
TOK and EE aren't so important, they give you bonus points - but as long as you would pass, they aren't so necessary.

I cannot restart the grade no matter what my parents are already having problems with money issues and there is also the matter of wasting the time you see. Im not the only child i have got my siblings.
I cannot restart the grade no matter what my parents are already having problems with money issues and there is also the matter of wasting the time you see. Im not the only child i have got my siblings.

Do you live in the UK?
Reply 6
Do you live in the UK?

I dont live in UK but somewhere in Asia
Reply 7

Do you think that it is actually possible to start doing the Diploma? Can I ask if you are doing IB Diploma or did?
Reply 8
Hello there. I was told that IB Certificate will be good for me as I have taken the hard subjects such as Maths HL, Chem HL, Physics HL and English SL. Its my first year and my first term has finished so having the holiday and then my second term will start. Doing some research I came to this point where I keep seeing that taking IB certificates is useless. I really feel broken now I feel like Im lost I want to go to a good university in Australia or in Uk (maybe) Im really tensed and feel like crying can you please help me I really need some help! Is there anything that you think I need to take or could switch or you think is fine or need to take some other things in addition? Please do guide me through it. Thank you so much!

[Please if you could please don't say like "I'm doing IB Diploma and Im happy with it", "Certificates are useless", etc. it definitely hurts reading them because I was not told these things before by my teachers, they said its good and because I wont be able to cope with the DP, certificates will be good because I will be focusing more into it. They didn't tell me about the universities. You don't know what I feel like I feel like ending my life now. So, please help me. Is there anything I could do? ]

As someone who completed the IB diploma in 2014 - 44/45 points, I would advise you NOT to do the certificates, if you are only in your 1st year of the IB, change over and do the diploma. UK universities rarely accept, and categorically do not like the certificate.

Yes the diploma is hard work, and you will eat, sleep and breathe it for 2 years. But I would recommend it. Time management is key though.

Out of curiosity, what do you want to study at uni?
Reply 9
Original post by scirae
As someone who completed the IB diploma in 2014 - 44/45 points, I would advise you NOT to do the certificates, if you are only in your 1st year of the IB, change over and do the diploma. UK universities rarely accept, and categorically do not like the certificate.

Yes the diploma is hard work, and you will eat, sleep and breathe it for 2 years. But I would recommend it. Time management is key though.

Out of curiosity, what do you want to study at uni?

Thank you for your words. But do you think it will be possible from your perspective? My teachers and counselor changed it to that way thinking I wont be able to do and because Im a new student so they didnt want to take any risk and said that certificate will be fine! Im glad to hear that you have got those points, really happy for you. I can do hard work as long as I will get something out of it because now I feel doing Cert. for 2 whole years and wont take me to anywhere basically?
I want to do Astrophysics/Aerospace engineering or Petroleum engineering.
Please let me know your advices and tips or anything? Thank you. :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you for your words. But do you think it will be possible from your perspective? My teachers and counselor changed it to that way thinking I wont be able to do and because Im a new student so they didnt want to take any risk and said that certificate will be fine! Im glad to hear that you have got those points, really happy for you. I can do hard work as long as I will get something out of it because now I feel doing Cert. for 2 whole years and wont take me to anywhere basically?
I want to do Astrophysics/Aerospace engineering or Petroleum engineering.
Please let me know your advices and tips or anything? Thank you. :smile:

Right, considering you want to do something like that at uni, I would strongly advise you against the certificate. I am only talking from my knowledge of the higher education system in the UK, you'd be better off with the diploma. Have you any idea where you'd like to study?

The reason why I am against the certificate is because universities require a specific number of points for the IB. It's not a well known qualification, so unlike A levels etc they don't know the equivalent or how to compare it with other things. If you really want to do the certificates... Contact each university you plan on applying to and ask them if they accept the certificate (make it very clear it's the certificate and not the diploma) also ask them what subjects you need.

If you would say that you're academically strong, the diploma is for you. If you do not feel this way, then the certificate is for you.
Reply 11
Original post by scirae
Right, considering you want to do something like that at uni, I would strongly advise you against the certificate. I am only talking from my knowledge of the higher education system in the UK, you'd be better off with the diploma. Have you any idea where you'd like to study?

The reason why I am against the certificate is because universities require a specific number of points for the IB. It's not a well known qualification, so unlike A levels etc they don't know the equivalent or how to compare it with other things. If you really want to do the certificates... Contact each university you plan on applying to and ask them if they accept the certificate (make it very clear it's the certificate and not the diploma) also ask them what subjects you need.

If you would say that you're academically strong, the diploma is for you. If you do not feel this way, then the certificate is for you.

I most probably will want to go to UK or Australia. I talked with some universities in UK, they kept hesitating for the certificates and the same for Australia. So, I think I have got very less chance with the certificates. I really want to do Diploma because it will let me have lots of door open and it is worth it for two whole years but throughout what I have gone through my confidence went low and there is no student who could help me, at least if there was some students who did IB Diploma and achieved good points or grades if they could personally help me when I needed, I would feel mentally strong..
Reply 12
I most probably will want to go to UK or Australia. I talked with some universities in UK, they kept hesitating for the certificates and the same for Australia. So, I think I have got very less chance with the certificates. I really want to do Diploma because it will let me have lots of door open and it is worth it for two whole years but throughout what I have gone through my confidence went low and there is no student who could help me, at least if there was some students who did IB Diploma and achieved good points or grades if they could personally help me when I needed, I would feel mentally strong..

I would highly recommend that you choose the diploma.
If you ever need someone to talk to, drop me a message. I would be happy to help with things like your EE, TOK stuff, and whatever else you need with regard to completing it successfully.
Do you think that it is actually possible to start doing the Diploma? Can I ask if you are doing IB Diploma or did?

I'm hopefully starting the IB Diploma this September if I get a bursary for a school I have a place at. I don't have much experience with the IB though.
If you are able to put in a lot of work and effort I would say that if it's possible, you should do the diploma as it will allow you to go to University.
Reply 14
Original post by scirae
I would highly recommend that you choose the diploma.
If you ever need someone to talk to, drop me a message. I would be happy to help with things like your EE, TOK stuff, and whatever else you need with regard to completing it successfully.

Okay, then I will choose it but first I will try to finish all the things that they did in their first term so that when I approach to the teacher and the counsellor not with empty handed and then they can have me continue with the other students who are already taking. It needs a lot of hard work it looks like. I really need someone's help so I can finish all these in a short period of time. Thank you for what you have said although Im very new in here and hardly be in here, is there any other way through which I can contact you if you don't mind? Please let me know. :smile:
Reply 15
I'm hopefully starting the IB Diploma this September if I get a bursary for a school I have a place at. I don't have much experience with the IB though.
If you are able to put in a lot of work and effort I would say that if it's possible, you should do the diploma as it will allow you to go to University.

Thank you for what you have said and may you have a successful life ahead. :smile:
Thank you for what you have said and may you have a successful life ahead. :smile:

Reply 17
Okay, then I will choose it but first I will try to finish all the things that they did in their first term so that when I approach to the teacher and the counsellor not with empty handed and then they can have me continue with the other students who are already taking. It needs a lot of hard work it looks like. I really need someone's help so I can finish all these in a short period of time. Thank you for what you have said although Im very new in here and hardly be in here, is there any other way through which I can contact you if you don't mind? Please let me know. :smile:

Hey, private message me and I will send you my mobile number and email :smile:
In the UK you can study with IB CERTIFICATES as they are awarded UCAS POINTS, usually you can only study with Higher Level subjects as they are equivalent to A levels. Universities that take IB certificates, are Nottingham Trent, the University of Northampton, University of Kent etc, the easiest thing to do is to check with the specific university. From 2016/17 onwards the DIPLOMA is no longer considered to be one qualification but each subject is dissected into UCAS points. Therefore, in future more universities should accept them. For specific entry requirements use the UCAS SEARCH TOOL. HOPE I WAS ABLE TO HELP, THE IB DOES NOT ALWAYS WIN!!!!

Hey - I just logged back into this website after two years of absence to reply to this post.

I am an IB student. The IB is fantastic if you want good university offers in Europe - including the UK. I don't know enough about the Australian system to talk about it unfortunately, but the IB is very far from useless... That said I would advise doing the Diploma. It's the full package and definitely doable.

Someone here mentioned that TOK and the Extended Essay weren't important. I'm sure they meant well but do not listen to that advice. Though they are only worth three points together, if you do not at least pass them/complete them - you will not and cannot get your diploma. Which... I advise you do.

Looking at the subjects you're doing - those are tough. In my case, I picked English HL, Latin HL, History HL, Spanish HL, Maths Studies and Standard Bio. (Yeah, I wouldn't recommend doing four higher levels, btw.) As you can see, I don't do the same subjects as you, but my best friend and dormmate did (well, HL Bio instead of HL Physics). She's incredibly smart, so although I can't empathise with you, I can sympathise with what you're going through just from having seen her through some tough times.

It is possible to do Maths, Chemistry and Physics at a higher level and do well. :smile: However, unless you're looking to study Maths, Finance or Economics (or maybe even Physics) at university - you do not need HL Maths in most cases. Any university that does not understand this, and asks you for HL Maths for say Organic Chemistry or Business, is being ridiculous. Thus if they're asking this, then either they are extraordinarily competitive, or their admin team has probably not done their research ... so don't go there, since they clearly can't put any effort into researching potential candidates. Any university setting unreasonable IB standards is not worth going to - as again, it shows a lack of awareness, which is a massive red flag. Most universities, at least in the UK, view the IB as an asset. TOK teaches rather critical thinking and presentation skills, the EE will teach you how to do extended research etc. Again, I really don't know for Australia, so don't want to mislead you on that point.

So, what about the rather famous 'IB pressure'? If you ever feel like there is too much pressure on you for example, my guess is that unless you are extraordinarily gifted at maths, it will come from HL Maths.
There is no shame whatsoever in dropping that one down to a standard (worst case scenario) and moving English to higher level for example. Maths SL is still very good - and probably an equivalent to a Maths A-level. Maths HL is doing further maths. (And Maths studies... welll... let's just say I'm better at languages :wink: so maths isn't a priority) No one will judge you harshly for it, unless you're desperate to do maths at uni.

English HL is not difficult - at least not if you're okay with doing some extended analysis. So if you do feel the pressure from one of your HL subjects, drop it down to a Standard and move English up. (Unless your second language or humanities choice is one you feel you can move up - so do so!)

You will be fine - in fact you'll be more than fine, you'll be brilliant!

Now - a few tips. Get ahead. Figure out what your extended essay is going to be on (science/maths bases EEs are very difficult to do, so I'd recommend doing one in English - which is what my friend with the similar subjects to you did) - do your reading/highlighting/post-it-note-making - all of your research - start it now. You do not want to be doing IAs at the same time as you're wading through your EE.

If you ever need any help - any whatsoever - please let me know. I can't help you with any of your Highers, but if you just need a chat, or need help with your EE, TOK, English or your second language (if you're planning on doing either French/Latin/Spanish or German - any others and I probably can't help :/) - let me know. The IB is tough, but it will be worth it in the end. :smile:

If you're looking at a really niche subject - maybe part of the certificate is enough. Write to the admissions team of the universities you are considering.
Otherwise the IB's very flexible - you can always do it over the span of three years if there's a massive issue.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending