The Student Room Group

Currently in first year, want to apply to another university...

Hi, I'm currently a first year student at university, I got AAB for my Alevels in 2005, took a gap year and chose a course which I am not enjoying at all. So basically I'm applying to other universities to study a different course, Civil Engineering to be precise but I'm confused at how I should start my personal statment. Should I start with " I am currently a first year student..... and then say why I dont like it, what I got in my Alevels and why I want to do engineering now?

I've spent long enough trying to like my current course, but I really dont think I can stand doing it for another 3 years. Any help regarding the personal statement would be appreciated. Also if anyone has had a similar experience and did not apply through ucas, please do let us know.

Thanks in advance.:tsr2:
you have to be able to sound like you are not a liability - coz universities hate drop-outs
try to make show some type of connection between the course you are doing now and what you want to do - be honest, but not tooo honest!
when you're done with the statment you can always drop it at the PS dept so we can have a look at it and advise accordingly
What course are you doing at the moment? I'm sure there are aloads of civil courses available in ucas since its not that popular.

If the course relates to civil engineering then you can talk about that. then you can mention how you was attracted to study civil engineering.
Reply 3
Well currently I'm studying optometry and I find it extremely boring and it has nothing to do with civil engineering either. I got really interested in it last year when I spent some time abroad with my uncle whos a brigadier and a civil engineer, he showed me projects he had worked on and I found it really interesting. Visted lots of remote places in southern china near the himalyans where he had constructed roads etc, saw the work involved in it and really liked it.

All I've written about my current course in my personal statment is that I find it extremely boring and repetitive, which it is!

Any help appreciated, will post PS in the PS section when done
try to find some connection between the two

say that you are very interested in the engineering side and hence would like to explore it further - therefore you would like to transfer onto a full time engineering course, and you feel that the experience that you gained from your previous course will be beneficial, as you have an understanding of the relationship between engineering and real-life situations and its applications
There's no need to mention your A-level grades since they'll be on your UCAS form anyway, but other than that, what you've said about not liking your current course and why you now want to do engineering sounds fine. Try to put a positive spin on dropping out by writing about how the experience has made you more mature, more prepared for uni, made you realise what course you really want to do etc etc.
Also, make sure you've done enough experience to ensure this a right decision and not just a fickle whim! Not being harsh, but you have to ensure this is the right decision. :smile: Good luck mate.
Reply 7
senshi
Well currently I'm studying optometry and I find it extremely boring and it has nothing to do with civil engineering either. I got really interested in it last year when I spent some time abroad with my uncle whos a brigadier and a civil engineer, he showed me projects he had worked on and I found it really interesting. Visted lots of remote places in southern china near the himalyans where he had constructed roads etc, saw the work involved in it and really liked it.

I'd leave out the negativities about your current course if I was you but definately be honest about why you have become drawn to engineering. Talk about China and the projects your uncle showed you whilst you were there.

Its never too late to discover what it is you really want and the uni's shouldn't hold it against you for deciding now!

Latest

Trending

Trending