The Student Room Group

Transferring vs Dropping out

Im having a really hard deciding what to do as i want to get a degree and would be happier if i could get a transfer but i know that transferring schools isn't the easiest as modules have to be similar, there needs to be space, etc. I also know that there is no guarantee that a school will accept me. So i was thinking of dropping out and going as a first year again as i know that this can guarantee me a space to go university. Does anyone have any advice on this. PS i don't like the school i am in currently thats why i want to change.
Original post by Anonymous
Im having a really hard deciding what to do as i want to get a degree and would be happier if i could get a transfer but i know that transferring schools isn't the easiest as modules have to be similar, there needs to be space, etc. I also know that there is no guarantee that a school will accept me. So i was thinking of dropping out and going as a first year again as i know that this can guarantee me a space to go university. Does anyone have any advice on this. PS i don't like the school i am in currently thats why i want to change.

Its very early to leave a course. Do you have any insight into why you don’t like your current university and why that would be different at a different university?

There’s no reason that you can’t apply for first year and second year transfers for next year without giving up your current course.

Likewise if you do decide to leave your current course it’s a better idea to SUSPEND your studies instead of completely withdrawing. That leaves the option available to return if your situation changes.
Reply 2
i just don't like my current university and i don't the area either and its quite suffocating to live here and i know i would be happier else where.

Original post by PQ
Its very early to leave a course. Do you have any insight into why you don’t like your current university and why that would be different at a different university?

There’s no reason that you can’t apply for first year and second year transfers for next year without giving up your current course.

Likewise if you do decide to leave your current course it’s a better idea to SUSPEND your studies instead of completely withdrawing. That leaves the option available to return if your situation changes.

Hi there😁 , I'm sorry you have had such a negative experience at the university you are currently studying with. I would advise you to consider whether you want to only switch institutions or the course you are studying . Transfers are a definite possibility if you would like to remain in the same course but if it is the course you dislike then I strongly recommend you find another one you are more passionate about. Thoroughly research the new institution you want to move to as well as the course they offer , attend open days then apply. After which you can then withdraw from your university. Keep in mind that you have countless options to higher education , you can also consider an apprenticeship if being at school full time is not your preference.
Only start again from first year if this is your best option for what you want to do in the future with the degree you are obtaining. If you are not sure it might be better to consider taking a gap year to figure out what you want to do.
I hope this helps !
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
(edited 6 months ago)
i just don't like my current university and i don't the area either and its quite suffocating to live here and i know i would be happier else where.

That seems quite a sudden decision to come to - you must have thought you'd like the university and the area when you accepted the offer a few months ago and enrolled last month?
Reply 5
i went through clearing and it was quite a rush because i was worried a school wouldn't take me
Original post by PQ
That seems quite a sudden decision to come to - you must have thought you'd like the university and the area when you accepted the offer a few months ago and enrolled last month?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending