The Student Room Group

switching universities and courses

I’ve been at my uni for a couple months now and am not enjoying it at all, i’ve been considering transferring to a different uni, which seems fairly simple, but i also want to start a completely different course. Like i said, im still considering so am just exploring my options. I was thinking of staying at mine until the end of the school year, and then starting fresh at a different place in september if i’m still unhappy (so basically starting year 1 again) . But i’m not sure if this is possible, i know the deadline for regular applications close in january and i don’t know if im able to just call up the uni and tell them the situation rather than applying the traditional way that i did in sixth form? I don’t want to take a gap year, and want to make the transfer as soon as possible rather than waiting another year to start in september 2025. I don’t know if this made sense but if anyone could advise me it would be much appreciated.
You still need to apply via UCAS in the normal way.

If aiming to transfer into year 2 of a course at another uni you will usually need to contact the uni well in advance to confirm they will accept such an application before submitting one. For applying again to first year though you just apply in the normal way (you may be able to use your school's buzzword again or more typically might apply as an independent student).

Note that you will also need to write a personal statement, get an academic reference (which may be the same one from school but you will need to contact them and ask them to act as your reference if so - and check to make sure the uni you're applying to doesn't expect a reference from your current uni) and all the usual stuff.

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You still need to apply via UCAS in the normal way.

If aiming to transfer into year 2 of a course at another uni you will usually need to contact the uni well in advance to confirm they will accept such an application before submitting one. For applying again to first year though you just apply in the normal way (you may be able to use your school's buzzword again or more typically might apply as an independent student).

Note that you will also need to write a personal statement, get an academic reference (which may be the same one from school but you will need to contact them and ask them to act as your reference if so - and check to make sure the uni you're applying to doesn't expect a reference from your current uni) and all the usual stuff.

Spoiler

Thanks! So i’d have to have made my decision and applied by the application deadline in january?
Original post by imsorryjen
Thanks! So i’d have to have made my decision and applied by the application deadline in january?

If you wanted to apply for entry for fall 2024 then yes :smile:

You don’t have to decide about your current course to submit a UCAS application.

You can even accept offers and still stick with your current course if that’s what you want to do. As long as you decide by August next year!
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
You don’t have to decide about your current course to submit a UCAS application.

You can even accept offers and still stick with your current course if that’s what you want to do. As long as you decide by August next year!

Wait so I can apply whilst doing my current course, and then just reject the offer next year if i change my mind? I’d have to inform my university about this right?
Wait so I can apply whilst doing my current course, and then just reject the offer next year if i change my mind? I’d have to inform my university about this right?

Yes to the first part.

You don’t need to formally tell your uni, but in most cases you’ll need to provide a reference from your current place of study. For most people that will be from their personal tutor. Just let them know you’re not committed to leaving and are keeping your options open.
Original post by PQ

Original post by Admit-One
Yes to the first part.

You don’t need to formally tell your uni, but in most cases you’ll need to provide a reference from your current place of study. For most people that will be from their personal tutor. Just let them know you’re not committed to leaving and are keeping your options open.

PRSOM both :smile:

I missed the nuance in the OPs follow up about staying on their course while waiting for offers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending